Your Opinions 3: Is GRRM a "bad writer?"

Jaenara Belarys

53 minutes ago, LynnS said:

OH Lord!  GRRM is going to make Stephen King look like a girl scout.

Not to mention, Selyse singing praises to the Red God as she joyfully watches her daughter burn.

17 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Not to mention, Selyse singing praises to the Red God as she joyfully watches her daughter burn.

Oh GEEZus!  It can only get worse from here.  We've been warned:

A Feast for Crows - Prologue

"They do," mused Alleras, the Sphinx, "and if there are dragons in the world again . . ."

"Dragons and darker things," said Leo. "The grey sheep have closed their eyes, but the mastiff sees the truth. Old powers waken. Shadows stir. An age of wonder and terror will soon be upon us, an age for gods and heroes." He stretched, smiling his lazy smile. "That's worth a round, I'd say."

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

Oh of course she is an interesting part of the story.  I can't wait to find out what happens to Jaimie and Brienne when he is confronted by LSH

Word, I'd say she's an intergal part of the story too, just like she's always been. And while I'm very curious how the two deal with LSH I'm more curious how Cat will deal with them lol, as she's more of a main character then either. 

I don't understand how just because Cats type gangsta these days she's perceived as being a different character. Almost like Anakin and Vader, who actually prove to be the same character.

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

But hate the character?  No.  I don't understand these things.. like hating Essos for example.  I don't understand that either.

Or the Ironborn. Like, it's not KL or Winterfell but I think it's pretty cool. What I do understand is the hate of Dorne, lol jk. I do think it's kinda boring there tho, but I know GRRM is just setting the scene

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

I don't even hate Ramsey.  He disgusts and repells me, but I don't hate him.  I'd like to see Rickon warg his hounds and tear Ramsey a new one... but I don't hate him.  I feel the same way about Victarion but he's also hilarious because he's as thick as a brick and wears a squid on his head; but I don't hate him.  And Euron, well he justs scares the hell out of me.

All this stuff is going to get dialed to 86 in the next book.  So if you hate stuff now, just wait and you'll hate it even more

Ramsay, oof. I am such a fan! Lol. Eurons scary, but Rams straight terrifies me. I feel like a little kid when I read him, my heart races. I mean I was amazed in acok, but now I'm in awe. He's so well written the last word I would use is hate, obviously if he was real it'd be totally different, but he's not lol. (I want a grand ending for my guy, ripped by dogs sounds nice lol, although if rArya simply stabs him with the pointy end I'd be content. The last thing I'd want tho is a Reek situation, just repeating the cycle)

Hates a strong word, as Henry Francis says, "I hate Nazis". So I'll use annoy, but there's a difference between characters who annoy me like Walder who are bad essentials, Ned who are goodish essential and then like Darkstar who I acknowledge annoys me because he could be better written

2 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

I don't understand how just because Cats type gangsta these days she's perceived as being a different character. Almost like Anakin and Vader, who actually prove to be the same character.

OMG!  LSH is like something the monkey's paw brought back from the other side minus the good bits.   She's a real horror show.  Why did Beric do it, do you think? 

Or the Ironborn. Like, it's not KL or Winterfell but I think it's pretty cool. What I do understand is the hate of Dorne, lol jk. I do think it's kinda boring there tho, but I know GRRM is just setting the scene

The IB are indeed interesting.  Right off the bat, we've got Victarion and Moqorro arriving with Dragonbinder in Meereen; Theon's execution (maybe) and Euron about to do some wierd Eldrich stuff.  What's going to happen?

Ramsay, oof. I am such a fan! Lol. Eurons scary, but Rams straight terrifies me. I feel like a little kid when I read him, my heart races. I mean I was amazed in acok, but now I'm in awe. He's so well written the last word I would use is hate, obviously if he was real it'd be totally different, but he's not lol. (I want a grand ending for my guy, ripped by dogs sounds nice lol, although if rArya simply stabs him with the pointy end I'd be content. The last thing I'd want tho is a Reek situation, just repeating the cycle)

LOL! .  Ramsey, really needs to die as he has lived.  It's going to be horrible!

7 minutes ago, LynnS said:

OMG!  LSH is like something the monkey's paw brought back from the other side minus the good bits.   She's a real horror show.  Why did Beric do it, do you think? 

The IB are indeed interesting.  Right off the bat, we've got Victarion and Moqorro arriving with Dragonbinder in Meereen; Theon's execution (maybe) and Euron about to do some wierd Eldrich stuff.  What's going to happen?

LOL! .  Ramsey, really needs to die as he has lived.  It's going to be horrible!

Ramsay should just be handed over to the families of the young women he hunted.

In the show, Sansa actually should have had him executed in public, to show that she was avenging his victims among the smallfolk, as well as the wrongs he committed against her.

32 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Ramsay should just be handed over to the families of the young women he hunted.

In the show, Sansa actually should have had him executed in public, to show that she was avenging his victims among the smallfolk, as well as the wrongs he committed against her.

I can think of worse things.  Ramsey loses Winterfell, (because you know that's going to happen); but he escapes and  runs into LSH.  I'd be satisfied with that.  Or worse, he hooks up with Euron.

32 minutes ago, LynnS said:

OMG!  LSH is like something the monkey's paw brought back from the other side minus the good bits. 

Lol nah, only the good bits. She's so cool. And honestly, a champion of justice and defender of the Riverlands, just like she used to.

34 minutes ago, LynnS said:

She's a real horror show. 

Only her looks, but once you get to know her she's got a hell of a personality

35 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Why did Beric do it, do you think? 

Because he swore that he would do anything in his power to reunite Arya and her mother :(

35 minutes ago, LynnS said:

The IB are indeed interesting.  Right off the bat, we've got Victarion and Moqorro arriving with Dragonbinder in Meereen

Oh damn, like I'm invested in Winterfell, the Wall, the Vale and even Cats hangout. But I'm so into Meereen lol. Mostly because of Tyrion but still largely Vic, who I'm convinced is (an) azor ahai

37 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Theon's execution (maybe)

I sincerely doubt it. I have high hopes for the foster brother

38 minutes ago, LynnS said:

and Euron about to do some wierd Eldrich stuff.  What's going to happen?

Eurons going ham. They all are lol. Aeron too probably, not to mention Asha. I also think momma Greyjoy will make an appearance down the line

39 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Lol. So like all of us, I was crushed when Theon betrayed Robb and angry when he hearbed Bran. I always had sympathy for Theon but my love for Stark was far greater and I wanted retribution. Like, I remember thinking that. But I'm not into cruel and unusual shit, ever. I felt almost guilty wishing harm on Theon, did I create Reek? I don't want this to happen again lol.

Reminds me of Cat wanting to clutch Theons (dick?) skin to her lips, but didnt because she's not a fucking sociopath (just ignore her relations with Jon and Frey lol). Or when Jaime was as giddy as a 7 year old on christmas morning, he couldn't wait to see the pitiful state of Vargo. Then he saw it. If the kingslayer himself gets grossed out by the cruel and unusual then how can I not?

17 hours ago, alienarea said:

I just hope the Battle of Mereen has catapults and Tyrion gets smashed by a rock.

Oh NO!  Is it time to send the asteroid?  

Push panic button now!

'City-killer' asteroid may hit Earth in 2022, says NASA | Inquirer Technology

Or not.

Asteroid hitting Earth 2022: Asteroid 2009 JF1 won't collide with Earth on May 6 (interestingengineering.com)

We could spend all day critiquing Essos, but one strange thing is that there is no abolition movement before Dany. Westeros manages not to have slaves, so there must have been some kind movement among the Andals at least, but no one aside from the slaves themselves (and the slave-founded city, Braavos)  apparently ever challenged the idea across the continent.

The most common complaint I’ve seen of the Dothraki is that they’re a “dumbed down” version of the Mongols, particularly because they don’t have permanent settlements. But when I first read AGOT, my first thought was that they were analogous to Plains tribes, who were nomadic (they had this little thing called tornadoes to worry about), albeit more extreme. Sure enough, I read an interview not too long afterwards where George said they Dothraki were conceived of as a combination of the two. He definitely takes most of his inspiration from Europe, but his American-ness pokes through in some surreptitious ways (Westeros is basically just the geography of North America reshaped to look like Britain, both Ned and Aegon I are a bit Washington-esque, right down to Aegon’s rumored infertility, etc.) 

Archived