House of the Dragon Budget Under $20 Million Per Episode

Westeros

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

You probably don't realize it but consider where the bulk of your posts have been the last few months and consider whether the topics indicate positivity or negativity. Easy enough to review which topics have drawn most of your posting time.

I don't want to make it meta, but since you keep questioning whether HotD will be a success, I think it's only reasonable to point out that this sort of view is largely driven by an internalized negativity you're feeling to the whole thing.

Yes, I am negative about GOT, as are most of the people on this sub. But as for ASOIAF (the books) I don’t think I’m particularly negative. I offer some critiques, yes, but that’s part of analyzing a book series. I think it’s pretty clear that I love ASOIAF. Conversation would get pretty stale if all we talked about were the parts we liked.

HOTD is the only new content we’ve gotten since GOT ended three years ago, so of course I’m going to talk more about that. Whether or not it succeeds is a topic I find interesting to discuss, especially considering the fan response to S8, and very few people on this forum seem bothered by it. If it bothers you so much, then why even read my comments? No one’s making you.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, Sotan said:

It seems like a tall order to cram 20+ years of history into one season. I hope they can pull it off. I wonder how the multiple timelines will work out?

Have you seen The White Queen or World without End? Both shows are 15-20 years and didn’t feel rushed. They could’ve been more seasons, but worked well as one each. 

1 hour ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

Have you seen The White Queen or World without End? Both shows are 15-20 years and didn’t feel rushed. They could’ve been more seasons, but worked well as one each. 

I don't even think that it's that big of an order because the primary thing being communicated in these 20 years is, "Alicent and Rhaenyra f***ing hate each other."

19 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I don't even think that it's that big of an order because the primary thing being communicated in these 20 years is, "Alicent and Rhaenyra f***ing hate each other."

I’ve seen fans outline the first season in a way that suggests they think we’re going to get announcements of every birth, if not outright birth scenes. But that doesn’t make any sense since the children aren’t important until their older, so it would name more sense for a time skip after Laenor and Rhaenyra marry, and then they appear on screen with kids who are introduced as they become relevant.

Timeline wise, I also firmly believe that season 3 and 4, and probably 2, will be similar to GOT with the “each season is approximately a year” timeline, which is potentially relevant for at least the birth of Maelor. 

20 hours ago, StarksInTheNorth said:

I've seen both. Kind of forgot about World Without End covered decades of time, it's been a while.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Hopefully we get a real trailer soon. No one outside of book fans seems to even know this show exists, so they’ll probably need to do more heavy promotions for it.

The most common complaint I’ve seen among people that aren’t excited for HOTD is that it feels pointless after seeing how the Targaryen line ended. I can certainly understand that. On the one hand, people love shows and movies about the Tudors and Elizabeth I, who died without children. . . but technically the Tudors did survive through the female line, and are the ancestors of the current royal family, so I guess that’s not really a good comparison. Maybe if GOT made Gendry a bigger character and played up his Targaryen ancestry, the ending would have been a bit more hopeful.

On a side note, am I the only one who liked the Rings of Power trailer? It felt very whimsical and made me feel like I was watching LOTR again. I don’t really understand the backlash.

I wasnt aware that the targaryan line had ended... jon is still alive. And we dont know if grrm will really kill off dany or not as it has been confirmed that he will end asoiaf differently than hbo did.

2 minutes ago, chris999 said:

I wasnt aware that the targaryan line had ended... jon is still alive. And we dont know if grrm will really kill off dany or not as it has been confirmed that he will end asoiaf differently than hbo did.

Well since he's taken the Night's Watch vows he's not going to have any.

3 minutes ago, chris999 said:

I’m talking about show canon. And at the time when I made that comment, we hadn’t heard about the Snow sequel yet.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:36 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Well since he's taken the Night's Watch vows he's not going to have any.

I mean, I totally took Jon is going to walk past the Wall and into the Wildling lands to be their king. He's not rejoining the Watch.

Archived