Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

I saw The Northman.

Spoiler

I liked it but wished they got to the farm a little later. I was expecting more viking wildness throughout. My expectations were probably a little too high for this one. 

I watched the first 2 episodes of Outer Range. I’m intrigued with the mystery and the cast is good. I’m in.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw The Northman.

Hide contents

I liked it but wished they got to the farm a little later. I was expecting more viking wildness throughout. My expectations were probably a little too high for this one. 

Spoiler

I think that’s a fair nitpick. The one berserker raid we did get was pretty good though. It definitely wasn’t what I expected out of a Viking movie, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, ithanos said:

Goddammit! Who the heck brought up The 13th Warrior? Just saw it in my Disney+ recommendations and now... I may be watching it tonight too.

Wait, it's on Disney+? I rented it for three bucks and I'm pretty sure I have the DVD of it somewhere in storage. 

This movie is fucking amazing. 

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, it's on Disney+? I rented it for three bucks and I'm pretty sure I have the DVD of it somewhere in storage. 

This movie is fucking amazing. 

Might be regional, its available here in Australia.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also nice that it's the first thing I've seen Avon Barksdale in since The Wire finished. 

My favorite is in Justified he and his brother - Steve Harris of The Practice fame - play a brother duo of low level drug dealers.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

My favorite is in Justified he and his brother - Steve Harris of The Practice fame - play a brother duo of low level drug dealers.

Shows how much attention I pay to programmes now. I've watched justified through 3 times and never even noticed. 

The 13th Warrior is a superb action movie with a bit of mystery thriller. The Northman is something else.

The Northman also has a funeral ritual scene and it doesn't shy away from the gruesome part. (Though it wisely not include the rape part)

I watched Stop Making Sense. Amazon Prime's blurb for it described it as the great concert movie ever made and I don't think I've really seen enough concert movies to judge the accuracy of that but David Byrne definitely has a unique stage presence and there's a lot of energy throughout the performance.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shows how much attention I pay to programmes now. I've watched justified through 3 times and never even noticed. 

Well, it was during the fifth season, which otherwise was easily the worst and most forgettable season.  Having the brothers be the main villains instead of the cliched Crowes woulda made it a lot better.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, it was during the fifth season, which otherwise was easily the worst and most forgettable season.  Having the brothers be the main villains instead of the cliched Crowes woulda made it a lot better.

That's why. Barely pay attention to that season on rewarch. 

The only drawback of making the brothers the main villains is potentially screwing up one of my favorite things about Justified.  Not only is it totally ridiculous and unrealistic how many people Raylan kills in a relatively short period of time (the timeframe is very unclear, but Winona is pregnant for two full seasons). 

The best part is he's the only LEO in US history that almost exclusively kills white males.  Of the 29 victims listed on Raylan's wiki, I count only four POC (Ernesto, Jody Adair, Elvis Machado, and - of course - Choo Choo) and one woman (the adorable Layla).  That's a sparkling 82.8% white male kill rate!

10 hours ago, ithanos said:

Might be regional, its available here in Australia.

Yep, not on D+ in the States. That said, I'd gladly pay for it every time. It's a shame the film wasn't a bigger hit. My mom used to watch it and The Ghost and the Darkness all the time when I was a kid. The only thing I recall her watching more was Alien/Aliens, Jaws and the X-Files. Probably explains why Jurassic Park is my favorite movie.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

The best part is he's the only LEO in US history that almost exclusively kills white males.  Of the 29 victims listed on Raylan's wiki, I count only four POC (Ernesto, Jody Adair, Elvis Machado, and - of course - Choo Choo)

Wait, is Choo Choo not the big dumb white dude who worked with Gillahunt's character for Avery Markham in the final season?

Archived