Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

Several actors from The Wire are in We Own This City (2022).  Delaney Williams is again a cop, but not at all like Landsman. As is the case with Domenick Lombardozzi, who played Herc -- this time he's an investigator of cops, not a lazy cop who likes to cut corners and ignore the rules.  Jamie Hector, who plays a brainy, honest cop on WOTC, who rises honestly in the ranks

Also - the young beat cop that helped Detective Marlo is Jermaine Crawford (Dukie).

5 hours ago, Ran said:

One of the earliest  films I remember seeing in the movie theater --it's weird but the only other two I remember before then are a re-release of Lady and the Tramp in Italy, Return of the Jedi when we stayed a summer with my grandmother in Miami, and Supergirl seen ... I don't remember where exactly, maybe Georgia, maybe Fort Bragg  [eh, must have been a matinee at Fort Ord in the late 80s]-- was Top Gun, seen in Colombus, Georgia when I was 8. I don't really remember the film, per se, just remember my parents taking us. It may possibly have been a drive-in screening, too, I vaguely remember we went to one.

But yeah, it's a pretty major film in the development of the industry! The 80s was a time of increasingly kinetic direction happening in music videos and commercials, places where Scott cut his teeth and really developed his style, and it just meshed perfectly with the vibe in the mid-80s. And a little jingoism never hurt, too.

I still cannot believe that this is what landed Scott the directing gig for Top Gun:

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Isn't he the police union guy?

I thought he was part of the interview-investigation team.  I could be wrong though, all so easily.

Ah, I looked up his character; he's the President of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police.

By the way, isn't Wunmi Mosaku as Nicole Steele, the chief investigator, just the most watchable!  I love her screen presence in this role.  No matter what the jerkwaddies say, she just doesn't rise to their bait.  She's so contained, so quiet, so calm, while they, meaning figures such as Jenkins and Hersl are all over the place.  It was like The Color of Money -- Paul Newman draws your eyes to him standing still, saying nothing, while Tom Cruise is herking and jerking all over the screen.

32 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I thought he was part of the interview-investigation team.  I could be wrong though, all so easily.

Ah, I looked up his character; he's the President of the Baltimore City Fraternal Order of Police.

By the way, isn't Wunmi Mosaku as Nicole Steele, the chief investigator, just the most watchable!  I love her screen presence in this role.  No matter what the jerkwaddies say, she just doesn't rise to their bait.  She's so contained, so quiet, so calm, while they, meaning figures such as Jenkins and Hersl are all over the place.  It was like The Color of Money -- Paul Newman draws your eyes to him standing still, saying nothing, while Tom Cruise is herking and jerking all over the screen.

Agree completely, she's amazing. Her scene with Herc (the only one so far anyway) was great.

The Lincoln Lawyer S1 is pretty good so far.  I think we’re four episodes in.  I’ve never seen the McConaughy movie so I cannot offer a comparison, but has some similarity to the Bosch TV series (source material from the same author).

Love Death Robots Vol. 3 is another great anthology of animated SciFi short stories. Very creative and fun.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

One of the earliest  films I remember seeing in the movie theater --it's weird but the only other two I remember before then are a re-release of Lady and the Tramp in Italy, Return of the Jedi 

The first movie I ever remember watching was Star Wars at a drive in, laying on a blanket on top of a van, think I was 5. I can remember the scene where the Death Star blew up and it looked like the whole sky was the movie screen because of all the stars in the sky, they kind of blended in with the scene on the screen. Star Wars has always been my favorite since then.

Another I remember because it would never happen in this day and age. Return of the Jedi. I as was around 11/12 and my sister was 7. We walked alone about a mile to downtown, smallish town, 20,000 or so population. When we got there it was sold out so we stood in line for an hour until the next showing. Nowadays people would call the police if kids were alone like that!

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

A world that created 7 seasons of Fear the Walking Dead deserves to be wiped out in a zombie apocalypse.

*won’t even mention all the other spin offs

There are SEVEN seasons of that?! I thought it was a one-off special of a spin-off!

Madre del Dios! How the hell is this franchise still stumbling about? More importantly: WHY?

I actually watched that first season of Fear and it was fine, but it would have taken a lot of willpower and extreme boredom to continue to the second season.

I had to drop TWD the moment Negan started smashing peoples heads in with bats.. so grim.. so dark.. so boring. 

Then just Google all the planned spin offs, it’s ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Then just Google all the planned spin offs, it’s ridiculous.

MORE? We're getting MORE? WHY?

What possible story is there left to tell?

(I've never seen anything beyond that really pretty first episode, but then, zombies are really *not* my thing, so I am the wrong audience for this stuff.)

For some unknown reason, mainly that I watched the first season and there isn't too much else on at the moment, I'm watching Season 2 of The Wilds. 

I'll admit it's mildly amusing and not entirely awful, but it's everything I feared a second season would be. They have literally transplanted the concept of the first season (plane crash victims recount their experiences in fake police interviews, every episode also being a Lost style backstory exploration) onto a new group of victims, whilst also trying to carry on telling the story from the first season.

Plus so far (3 eps in) they haven't bothered to really push the story forward in terms of current timeline happenings. It's very much 'oh you wanted to see what happens next? Well YOU CAN'T.. we are going back and telling a completely different story to pad it all out'

I'm willing to overlook the really stupid villain and basic concept behind the show, which is honestly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen in a tv show, but I am not willing to be railroaded into having my time wasted by retreading old stories. 

..except the other half is watching it so will probably have to finish the season

Finally watched Joker at the weekend and I think I liked it. In some ways it's a bit obvious? Did it surprise me? Not really. Great performance by JP. But I don't know, I think I was expecting something bigger? It's a relatively quiet film, for one with so much violence and mayhem in it. I need to think about it some more.

Watched (most of) Troy at the weekend.

JFC, what a load of shite.

It's a proper sausage fest, with a bunch of middle-aged white guys in terrible, terrible wigs. The script was awful, the acting dreadful. Brad Pitt manages to turn in one of the worst performances I've ever seen.

Most of all, though, it is just so incredibly fucking boring.

After the Big Boss Fight, with no sign of a giant horse, we turned it off with forty-five minutes still to go.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Watched (most of) Troy at the weekend.

JFC, what a load of shite.

It's a proper sausage fest, with a bunch of middle-aged white guys in terrible, terrible wigs. The script was awful, the acting dreadful. Brad Pitt manages to turn in one of the worst performances I've ever seen.

Most of all, though, it is just so incredibly fucking boring.

After the Big Boss Fight, with no sign of a giant horse, we turned it off with forty-five minutes still to go.

EDIT: It's all about the thumbnail :P

Peter O'Toole was excellent as Priam, and the scene with Achilles after Hector's death was very good, IMO. But the script isn't great, it's true. That said Achilles storming the beach is a breathtaking piece of choreography, really selling the "godlike Achilles" of The Iliad

George and I discussed Troy years ago, while the first season was filming. I shared that Linda had a huge disdain for it (if you can be a fangirl of the Bronze Age, Linda is it), that it was a terrible adaptation of The Iliad... and he defended it and said something along the lines of, well, sure, but it's not called The Iliad, it's called Troy. In retrospect...

Archived