Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

38 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

and all of the other main performances were pretty good, including an unrecognizable Colin Farrell.  

I didn't even know that was him until after I saw the movie.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The Batman was pretty good.  If the Nolan/Bale trilogy spotlighted head-to-head conflict between key characters as avatars of their respective philosophies, then this version sees the characters recede slightly for a more diffused emphasis on the atmosphere and the setting (similar to Dune).  Rather than a superhero action flick, it feels more like a gothic noir detective pursuing a serial killer.  It’s very long, but that running time allows for the story to unfold in a slow tempo rather than rush from scene to scene.  I enjoyed it.  Pattinson was pretty good as Batman, although terrible as the emo goth Bruce Wayne (thankfully little used), and all of the other main performances were pretty good, including an unrecognizable Colin Farrell.  Much, much better than Batfleck, although I don’t see how this version could integrate into the Justice League or DCEU.

Batfleck and Pattinson were both great IMO, but it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. One is at the beginning of his career while the other is at the end. 

I thought Batflecks suit was better. Also the voice changing tech. 

The main difference between Affleck and Pattinson is one was hobbled by being in a series of bad films, and the other isn't.

I gather Affleck has been saying in media that his Batman in The Flash finally feels like the Batman he wanted to play. Will be interesting to see how that plays out on screen.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

The main difference between Affleck and Pattinson is one was hobbled by being in a series of bad films, and the other isn't.

Yeah, we disagree. We've been over that.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

I gather Affleck has been saying in media that his Batman in The Flash finally feels like the Batman he wanted to play. Will be interesting to see how that plays out on screen.

Flip a coin. Will it be The Batman or WW84? I'm sure there will be at least one headline saying "The best DC blah blah since The Dark Knight." Or some critic will un-ironically use the phrase, "This is exactly the film we need right now." I love it when they do that. 

White Hot: The Rise & Fall of Abercrombie & Fi...

I got about 20 minutes into this thing and I was considering turning it off. I never cared about this company. I never shopped there. I don't care about these people. This is boring. Etc. But I let it play through...

Around the 30 minute mark it started catching my attention. Huh? Oh? Oh. OooooOOOOooh! Daayum!!!

Spoiler

These people are fucking evil. And insane. And clueless. 

You know those online trolls who un-ironically parrot, "Get Woke, Go Broke"? I wonder what they'd have to say about this doc. 

10 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

White Hot: The Rise & Fall of Abercrombie & Fi...

I got about 20 minutes into this thing and I was considering turning it off. I never cared about this company. I never shopped there. I don't care about these people. This is boring. Etc. But I let it play through...

Around the 30 minute mark it started catching my attention. Huh? Oh? Oh. OooooOOOOooh! Daayum!!!

Hide contents

These people are fucking evil. And insane. And clueless. 

You know those online trolls who un-ironically parrot, "Get Woke, Go Broke"? I wonder what they'd have to say about this doc. 

I worked at A&F very briefly. Three consecutive showers couldn't remove the smell of bad cologne off of you.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I worked at A&F very briefly. Three consecutive showers couldn't remove the smell of bad cologne off of you.

You need to see this. It will either inflate your ego or drive you into the pit of despair.

You were being judged. JUDGED I tells ya. 

Unless you worked there more recently. Then maybe they were a little more cool.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You need to see this. It will either inflate your ego or drive you into the pit of despair.

You were being judged. JUDGED I tells ya. 

Unless you worked there more recently. Then maybe they were a little more cool.

Nah, it was around a decade and a half ago when I was a freshman in college. It was an easy job, but kind of gross. Once I was able to exploit the employee discount to my satisfaction I bounced. I'll check it out later.

ETA: Hahaha, I'm five minutes in and dying. Yes, the opening pitch is exactly what I was given. 

ETA 2: Thank god they mentioned the cologne so early. They would pump that shit into the stores...

He's so -- American, impatient, arrogant, the smartest person in the room all the time, while so often just wrong, so he's played to stand out that way. If the Japanese were not so polite they also want to punch him. The omnipresent back pack is part of it.  Of course, that's only my personal take, but I don't know. 

I'm really loving this series, particularly the Japanese actors, who make their characters so full, particularly Rinko Kikuchi as Emi Maruyama, Ken Watanabe as Hiroto Katagiri and Show Kasamatsu as Sato. There are others too, such as the young journalists on the paper that hired Adelstein.

I really dig Shô Kasamatsu in particular in Tokyo Vice, it's a strong performance depicting the war between his vulnerability and his emotional turmoil on one hand, and his loyalty to his clan and the easy violence that comes with his position on the other hand.

The scenes of the yakuza hanging out and so on reminds me of nothing less than some of Takeshi Kitano's films, particularly Sonatine which also features a lot of young, low-level yakuza just hanging out.

Hopefully things end better for Sato than it did for the young guys in Sonatine.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And.....

The depiction of what took place was 100% accurate. I didn't realize there was so much chaos at the corporate level though. Not surprised that it was gross top to bottom. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The depiction of what took place was 100% accurate. I didn't realize there was so much chaos at the corporate level though. Not surprised that it was gross top to bottom. 

So were you one of the lake trolls that got banished to the night shift or did your bone structure and frosted tips entitle you to a little sunlight, dude?

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So were you one of the lake trolls that got banished to the night shift or did your bone structure and frosted tips entitle you to a little sunlight, dude?

Well, he’s from the land of 10,000 lakes, so… :P

Hawkeye’ Director Rhys Thomas to Helm Live-Action ‘Robotech’ Movie for Sony
The film will adapt the influential 80s anime franchise.

https://collider.com/robotech-movie-director-rhys-thomas-sony/

Disney+’s Hawkeye director Rhys Thomas has been chosen to helm Sony’s live-action adaptation of the iconic 80s anime franchise Robotech, Deadline reports. Thomas was the main director of the Marvel Cinematic Universe series, which was greeted with both critical appraisal and high viewing numbers.

Consisting of 85 episodes, the original Robotech anime series is set in a future where humanity is under attack by ferocious alien armies. To fight off the invaders, humans explore the wreckage of a fallen alien starship and develop giant mechas that can help defend the planet. You are not entirely wrong if you are thinking Pacific Rim, as Guillermo del Toro’s cinematic universe is inspired by classic Japanese mecha animes, including Robotech.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Can't really do frosted tips with blond hair, though over the years it's turned dirty blond so maybe now's the time? Anyways, I've been told I look like a lot of different actors, but the one I always got hit with the most is JTT, at least through college. Still confused why an older lady said I looked like a young Henry Fonda though...

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't really do frosted tips with blond hair, though over the years it's turned dirty blond so maybe now's the time? Anyways, I've been told I look like a lot of different actors, but the one I always got hit with the most is JTT, at least through college. Still confused why an older lady said I looked like a young Henry Fonda though...

Because Henry Fonda was a fucking dreamboat, that's why!

Did you get her number? Clearly, "she was down", as the kids say these days. 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Mine is Jude Law and I always think about that scene in Pineapple Express

If you’re an asshole, you’re gonna come back as a cockroach or a worm or a fuckin’ anal bead, okay? If you’re a man and you act heroic, you’ll come back as an eagle. You’ll come back as a dragon. You’ll come back as Jude Law, okay? Which would you rather be?

Archived