Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

Just now, Dragon in the North said:

IMDB is included in internet reception. Besides, it’s possible to make multiple accounts and review bomb. It’s happened before.

The best way to gauge public reception is with viewership numbers. After all, if people like something, they will keep watching. If they hate it, they will stop watching. The GOT finale was the most watched episode in HBO history.

Eh? You cant gauge by viewership numbers, it was the most watched episode because the the show was the biggest show in the world.

That's like judging whether a movie is good by box office revenue. It doesn't work, because people pay to see the movie BEFORE they know whether it's good, just as they sit down to watch a TV show BEFORE they know whether it's good.

Whatever flaws IMDB may have it's one of the go-to references people check before deciding whether to watch a movie. It's certainly a more accurate gauge than viewership numbers.

But if you're not gonna acknowledge IMDB, not gonna acknowledge internet reception, not gonna acknowledge media reception, what are you gonna acknowledge? Just assume the silent majority liked it with no evidence?

If you loved the finale, then all power to you. But saying it was widely well received is just some serious denial IMO.

7 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

IMDB is included in internet reception. Besides, it’s possible to make multiple accounts and review bomb. It’s happened before.

The best way to gauge public reception is with viewership numbers. After all, if people like something, they will keep watching. If they hate it, they will stop watching. The GOT finale was the most watched episode in HBO history.

Does that prove anything? Even people who hate the show are going to at least want to finish it.

3 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Eh? You cant gauge by viewership numbers, it was the most watched episode because the the show was the biggest show in the world.

That's like judging whether a movie is good by box office revenue. It doesn't work, because people pay to see the movie BEFORE they know whether it's good, just as they sit down to watch a TV show BEFORE they know whether it's good.

Whatever flaws IMDB may have it's one of the go-to references people check before deciding whether to watch a movie. It's certainly a more accurate gauge than viewership numbers.

But if you're not gonna acknowledge IMDB, not gonna acknowledge internet reception, not gonna acknowledge media reception, what are you gonna acknowledge? Just assume the silent majority liked it with no evidence?

If you loved the finale, then all power to you. But saying it was widely well received is just some serious denial IMO.

They had five previous episodes to determine whether they wanted to watch the sixth. Going off of your example, if someone goes to see a  sequel, that usually means they enjoyed the original.

Think of it like this. A comment section on a GOT related article or video has a few thousand at most. Maybe a YouTube video is more, but the point is that GOT viewership in the final season is over ten million. Those numbers don’t really mean much compared to that, so you’re right, I don’t acknowledge them. I acknowledge viewership numbers. I already told, that’s the best way to gauge public reception. If viewership declines, the show is not being received very well. If it increases or stays consistent, it is. It’s that simple.

None of this should matter, though. I couldn’t care less if I was the only person who enjoyed the final season. It wouldn’t change my opinion of it. I just don’t understand why people make the claim that most people hated it when the evidence points to the exact opposite.

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Does that prove anything? Even people who hate the show are going to at least want to finish it.

Of course it proves something. Your idea that people will continue to watch something they hate is an interesting theory that I’m sure applies to some people, but that’s not how casual viewers work. They don’t typically watch something if it doesn’t bring them joy. They have better things to do. The most likely reason that the finale was so watched is because people were liking what they were seeing.

In my anecdotal experience virtually every casual fan I knew was at least disappointed with the final season.  My sister, brother-in-law, friends, colleagues, the entire staff of my favorite bar....

Regardless, though, I don't think the success (or lack thereof) of the upcoming House of Dragon series is a reliable indicator either way.  Some fans may refuse to watch it because of GoT's ending (my brother-in-law insists he's one of them), but plenty of others may think a new show with completely different showrunners doesn't have much of a relationship with the shitty ending.

4 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Of course it proves something. Your idea that people will continue to watch something they hate is an interesting theory that I’m sure applies to some people, but that’s not how casual viewers work. They don’t typically watch something if it doesn’t bring them joy. They have better things to do. The most likely reason that the finale was so watched is because people were liking what they were seeing.

I think if people watch 7 seasons of a show and we’re incredibly excited that the highest profile show on the planet was ending, it would take a lot to stop them watching it till the end. Doesn’t mean they won’t be disappointed 

A show ending poorly doesn’t make in irrelevant. The second half of Dexter is discussed like watching a body roll down a mountain side, getting more battered as it cascades down, and yet the first half still receives a ton of love. Yes, GoT didn’t end well, but it’s still in that small group of truly transcendent shows from the last 25 years that includes The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Lost and The West Wing (probably missing a few). When people discuss it a decade from now more weight will be placed on it being the biggest show of its time than on the fact it had a weak ending.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think if people watch 7 seasons of a show and we’re incredibly excited that the highest profile show on the planet was ending, it would take a lot to stop them watching it till the end. Doesn’t mean they won’t be disappointed 

You may have a point if the viewership numbers for the finale took a slight dip or remained the same, but they didn’t. The finale was the most watched episode in HBO history. That means that the five previous episodes kept people interested and excited enough that they had to see finale live. But like I said, none of this should matter to the individual. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A show ending poorly doesn’t make in irrelevant. The second half of Dexter is discussed like watching a body roll down a mountain side, getting more battered as it cascades down, and yet the first half still receives a ton of love. Yes, GoT didn’t end well, but it’s still in that small group of truly transcendent shows from the last 25 years that includes The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Lost and The West Wing (probably missing a few). When people discuss it a decade from now more weight will be placed on it being the biggest show of its time than on the fact it had a weak ending.

I think Game of Thrones is already remembered as the show that jumped the shark harder than almost any other.. more than Happy Days 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I think Game of Thrones is already remembered as the show that jumped the shark harder than almost any other.. more than Happy Days 

Nah this is overdoing it.  Dexter's is much more maligned.  The Walking Dead.  If we want to get into old HBO shows, True Blood.  Plenty of other more egregious examples. 

Just now, DMC said:

Nah this is overdoing it.  Dexter's is much more maligned.  The Walking Dead.  If we want to get into old HBO shows, True Blood.  Plenty of other more egregious examples. 

Meh, I don’t think any of those started from such a high level. Walking Dead was often very bad with occasional highlights.. and True Blood was trash from episode 1.. just more knowing trash

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Meh, I don’t think any of those started from such a high level.

Certainly not True Blood or Walking Dead, no.  But I wasn't taking that as a qualifier.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Certainly not True Blood or Walking Dead, no.  But I wasn't taking that as a qualifier.

If I was going to judge it I’d take it from the highest high to the lowest low. I’d certainly put Game of Thrones near the top of any Jumping the Shark list based on that criteria.

Simpsons might also be up there 

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If I was going to judge it I’d take it from the highest high to the lowest low.

Fair enough, that takes more thought than I care to invest.  I will use one comparison we already have though.  I think Dexter and GoT were at pretty comparable highs (although yes I'd still take GoT in a pinch), but Dexter's low was far lower than GoT's.

OK, since everyone has been pushing the nostalgia button, I, too, re-watched a few films recently: Top Gun, Avatar, Hot Fuzz, Galaxy Quest, and Snow White & The Huntsman.

Top Gun - yes, still a fun action movie with great music. That being said, I found the entire romantic relationship to be cringe, especially Maverick's approach. I actually fast-forwarded through much of that. But maybe that's just grown up me, not the movie. The training stuff and the battle at the end were still good. I am excited for the sequel.

Avatar - I continue to like this movie quite a lot, but it's not a movie that I will watch every time it's on TV. Best to wait a few years between re-watches. For all that the story is derivative, it is competently done. I don't know how this movie looks on a 4K Ultra TV, but it still looks amazing on my 1080p TV. Sam Worthington may not be a great lead, but his acting under MoCap is decent. It's when he has to act with his real face that he falls flat. And maybe they shouldn't have let him narrate so much of the movie. I do like the world, which has a lot of great attention to details and I'm excited for the sequel.

Hot Fuzz - my favorite of the Cornetto trilogy. Not much to say about it. It's hilarious every viewing and I just love the way they play with the action/cop movie tropes.

Galaxy Quest - another movie that just ages like fine wine. I so enjoy the performances, especially Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and Enrico Colatoni. 

Snow White & The Huntsman - this movie could have been a solid dark fantasy tale if they had cast a different lead. Kristen Stewart is quite awful in this one. Her resting bored, emo face does not belong on a character like Snow White. And her line delivery is painful to hear, and I think the director, despite them banging at the time, knew it because there are some scenes where it felt like they needed some lines from her, but she is told to just stare mournfully or something. And in what universe is Stewart more beautiful than Charlize Theron? Chris Hemsworth basically continues to play Thor but without the lightning powers. The production side of thing is quite good. For all Hollywood's love to make these movie look overly dark and grim, this movie has a rich color palette and the dark parts are wisely used. The costumes are great, except for once again, the lead's, and the baddies all wear black, but even those black outfits have some diversity; they don't look like they came off an assembly line. The movie criminally underuses its best actors, giving them semi-comic relief roles.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Galaxy Quest - another movie that just ages like fine wine. I so enjoy the performances, especially Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and Enrico Colatoni.

Yeah I've always enjoyed Galaxy Quest as a guilty pleasure.  Fun, early take on lampooning obsessive fanbases.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Have to agree with DMC, this is a bit overblown. In my experience most people who feel this way are either fans of the books who feel cheated (understandably) or Youtubers who only exist at the extremes so everything has to be the best or the worst.

2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

You may have a point if the viewership numbers for the finale took a slight dip or remained the same, but they didn’t. The finale was the most watched episode in HBO history. That means that the five previous episodes kept people interested and excited enough that they had to see finale live.

Nah, the seven previous seasons got people sufficiently invested that they weren't going to drop it without seeing how it ended.

Archived