Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

1 minute ago, Dragon in the North said:

You have no evidence to support that. The fact remains that the most likely reason viewers continue to watch a show is because they are enjoying it.

An alternative reason is that virtually everyone was talking about it.  GoT's last season was the closest thing we'll ever get to National Hatewatch Month.

3 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

People continue to talk about GOT to this day, particularly on Winter is Coming and Watchers on the Wall, though articles by the latter have been rather scarce. I don’t hear many people talking about The Sopranos or Breaking Bad, but maybe we hang out on different sites.

I mean, Breaking Bad quite literally has a successful, critically acclaimed spinoff that is about to wrap up after six seasons later this summer, and the topic for Better Call Saul is filled with almost nothing but praise for the mid-season finale. 

The idea that no one is still talking about Breaking Bad when there's a show currently on air that features half a dozen characters from that series is just false.

5 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

I’m pretty sure you have no evidence to refute it. And please provide some evidence for your “fact”.

Like I said, the most likely reason that people continue to watch a show is because they are enjoying it. It’s not that complicated. If viewership numbers go up or remain consistent, like with Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, people like what they see. If viewership numbers go down, like with The Walking Dead, there are people who don’t like what they see. That is irrefutable.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I mean, Breaking Bad quite literally has a successful, critically acclaimed spinoff that is about to wrap up after six seasons later this summer, and the topic for Better Call Saul is filled with almost nothing but praise for the mid-season finale. 

The idea that no one is still talking about Breaking Bad when there's a show currently on air that features half a dozen characters from that series is just false.

Better Call Saul is it’s own show and it has a fraction of Breaking Bad’s popularity. I wouldn’t call it successful, but I suppose it depends on the metric  you’re using. It is critically acclaimed, though.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

An alternative reason is that virtually everyone was talking about it.  GoT's last season was the closest thing we'll ever get to National Hatewatch Month.

And you have no evidence to support this either. I’m curious, why is it so important to you that everyone hated the ending as much as you did?

4 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Like I said, the most likely reason that people continue to watch a show is because they are enjoying it. It’s not that complicated. If viewership numbers go up or remain consistent, like with Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, people like what they see. If viewership numbers go down, like with The Walking Dead, there are people who don’t like what they see. That is irrefutable.

Who in the hell is going to watch eight seasons of a TV show only to tap out right before the final episode?  That is insane.  Even if the last season was terrible, and it was, people weren't just going to quit on a show filled with mysteries and cliffhangers before the episode that answers a lot of their biggest questions and reveals the fates of many of the most beloved characters in TV history.

Also, for many of us who were book readers prior to the show's release, the show was likely to be the only resolution to the story we ever got, and so you can bet your ass we were watching.

2 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Better Call Saul is it’s own show and it has a fraction of Breaking Bad’s popularity. I wouldn’t call it successful, but I suppose it depends on the metric  you’re using. It is critically acclaimed, though.

Better Call Saul is a Breaking Bad prequel about one of Breaking Bad's most popular secondary characters that also features two other prominent characters from that series.  

Also, any show that makes it six seasons is by definition a success.  It's not Breaking Bad, but it's a lot tougher to get a foothold as a cable show these days when everyone is subscribed to 23 different streaming services.

Just now, Dragon in the North said:

And you have no evidence to support this either. I’m curious, why is it so important to you that everyone hated the ending as much as you did?

Well, actually, most people I talked to hated the ending much more than I did.  And it definitely doesn't matter to me, just sharing my impression of people's reactions.

Finally, please stop saying "you have no evidence to support this."  Unless there's a scientific study/survey on why people watched the series finale I'm unaware of, nobody has anything but anecdotal evidence on this topic. 

3 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I have literally not met a single person in real life who thought Game of Thrones had a good ending, and damn near every one I know has watched it.  Most of us watched it live. 

I remember we'd all talk about it in the dog park after work and speculate on what was going to happen.  Then it ended, everyone talked about how godawful it was for a week, and then we all just sort of agreed to not ever talk about it again, probably because it was painful.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Who in the hell is going to watch eight seasons of a TV show only to tap out right before the final episode?  That is insane.  Even if the last season was terrible, and it was, people weren't just going to quit on a show filled with mysteries and cliffhangers before the episode that answers a lot of their biggest questions and reveals the fates of many of the most beloved characters in TV history.

Also, for many of us who were book readers prior to the show's release, the show was likely to be the only resolution to the story we ever got, and so you can bet your ass we were watching.

Better Call Saul is a Breaking Bad prequel about one of Breaking Bad's most popular secondary characters that also features two other prominent characters from that series.  

Also, any show that makes it six seasons is by definition a success.  It's not Breaking Bad, but it's a lot tougher to get a foothold as a cable show these days when everyone is subscribed to 23 different streaming services.

The mid season finale of the final season of The Walking Dead was the least watched episode of the entire show. That is how casual viewers work. If they don’t like something, they stop watching it. Continuing to watch something that you no longer enjoy, now that’s insane. You may have found the last season to be terrible, but the vast majority of us enjoyed it.

If longevity is the metric you’re using, then yes, Better Call Saul is a success. But then, so is The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory.

I’m not entirely sure what point you’re making regarding Breaking Bad. Because Better Call Saul lasted six seasons means what exactly?

Just now, Dragon in the North said:

The mid season finale of the final season of The Walking Dead was the least watched episode of the entire show. That is how casual viewers work. If they don’t like something, they stop watching it. Continuing to watch something that you no longer enjoy, now that’s insane. You may have found the last season to be terrible, but the vast majority of us enjoyed it.

If longevity is the metric you’re using, then yes, Better Call Saul is a success. But then, so is The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory.

I’m not entirely sure what point you’re making regarding Breaking Bad. Because Better Call Saul lasted six seasons means what exactly?

The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory are successful shows.  I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise just because they're not good.  Lots of bad shows and movies are successful, just as lots of good ones are.  

Also, I'd love to see any kind of evidence that the vast majority of people enjoyed the final season of Game of Thrones.  You keep saying that, but there's zero evidence in your favor, and just repeating it doesn't make you right.  IMDb tells us that the vast majority of people hated it, and my personal experience mirrors that, because everyone I know who watched the series found the final season to be bad and the ending to be all-time bad.  It's not quite Dexter, but it's pretty damn close.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, actually, most people I talked to hated the ending much more than I did.  And it definitely doesn't matter to me, just sharing my impression of people's reactions.

Finally, please stop saying "you have no evidence to support this."  Unless there's a scientific study/survey on why people watched the series finale I'm unaware of, nobody has anything but anecdotal evidence on this topic. 

You’re trying to bend over backwards to come up with some explanation as to why people continued to watch season 8 when the explanation is rather obvious. They liked it. It’s that simple.

I’m not the one who started this, btw. It was another poster who made the absurd claim that most people hated the ending despite all evidence to the contrary. 

1 minute ago, Dragon in the North said:

You’re trying to bend over backwards to come up with some explanation as to why people continued to watch season 8 when the explanation is rather obvious. They liked it. It’s that simple.

Or perhaps the simple answer is that they had watched seven seasons of the show, most of which they liked, and wanted to see how it ended. 

This is a show that told one continuous story for eight seasons.  People wanted to see the ending.  It's as simple as that.

And everyone hated that ending.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory are successful shows.  I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise just because they're not good.  Lots of bad shows and movies are successful, just as lots of good ones are.  

Also, I'd love to see any kind of evidence that the vast majority of people enjoyed the final season of Game of Thrones.  You keep saying that, but there's zero evidence in your favor, and just repeating it doesn't make you right.  IMDb tells us that the vast majority of people hated it, and my personal experience mirrors that, because everyone I know who watched the series found the final season to be bad and the ending to be all-time bad.  It's not quite Dexter, but it's pretty damn close.

Fair enough about their success.

As for evidence, the finale was the most watched episode in HBO history, the season 8 Blu Ray topped the sales charts, GOT continues to be one of the highest in demand shows today and is one of the most watched shows on HBO Max. All of this is more compelling than internet reception and you’re own personal experience.

Just out of curiosity, would you say Better Call Saul was well received by viewers?

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Or perhaps the simple answer is that they had watched seven seasons of the show, most of which they liked, and wanted to see how it ended. 

This is a show that told one continuous story for eight seasons.  People wanted to see the ending.  It's as simple as that.

And everyone hated that ending.

Like I said, people didn’t stick around for The Walking Dead (sorry to those who still like it. I know I’m using it as a punching bag, but I can’t think of a better example.) Casual viewers don’t stick around. If they don’t enjoy something, they stop watching it. Again, it is a very simple concept that you refuse to get. Why does it matter so much to you that everyone hated the final season as much as you did?

39 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

No, I'm trying to tell you that virtually everyone I know who watched it still hated it.  Obviously, your experience is different, or apparently the opposite.  That doesn't make me wrong nor you right.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, I'm trying to tell you that virtually everyone I know who watched it still hated it.  Obviously, your experience is different, or apparently the opposite.  That doesn't make me wrong nor you right.

I don’t refute you’re own experiences, I’m refuting the idea that your experiences are indicative of, well, anything really. I’m sure there are some of those who continued to watch despite falling out of love with the show but you’re asking me to entertain the notion that at least  7-8 million people tuned in one Sunday night to watch a show they were no longer enjoying. I’ve never heard of anything like that ever happening, do you?

Well I guess I'll bite on this.  I didn't hate the ending of GOT. I thought they had a better way to end it, my personal choice would have been Jon Snow getting beheaded in the same square that Ned did. Beginning and end.

I think this and many other forums dedicated to ASOIAF are not fair representations of the general viewing public because we read the books and were heavily invested in it. We had years to build up what WE thought should happen and how WE thought it should end, so when it doesn't happen our way it seems worse than it maybe really was.

And one other thing. KEEP THE BIG BANG THEORY OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!

5 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

you’re asking me to entertain the notion that at least  7-8 million people tuned in one Sunday night to watch a show they were no longer enjoying.

No, I'm telling you you have no better idea than I do of how those 7-8 million people felt about the episode or season just because they watched it.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, I'm telling you you have no better idea than I do of how those 7-8 million people felt about the episode or season just because they watched it.

Viewership numbers are used to measure a show’s popularity. That’s their entire purpose. Viewership numbers go up and down depending on how the audience receives the particular show. That’s the way it’s always been. I asked you if you ever heard of a situation where a show receives record breaking viewership numbers yet is disliked by most of the viewers. All the reasons given for this make no sense, because lots of shows lose viewership numbers in their final season. GOT is not one of those because people liked what they were seeing. The facts support this.

Let me ask what may seem like an unrelated question. Do you think Better Call Saul was well received by viewers?

Archived