Watch, Watched, Watching: Now includes ads

Ramsay B.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

MTV Movie Award nominations for Cruise and Pitt, and Pitt won. Plus a Golden Raspberry for "Worst Screen Couple" for them.

IMO, Cruise's performance was kind of revelatory, and won Rice over after she had publicly disavowed him when he was cast initially. It presaged performances in things like Magnolia

Nominated for a Golden Globe, won an MTV Movie Award. She was really good indeed.

Cool. Thanks for doing the legwork on that one, Ran. I was posting that from the tube.

I guess maybe for Cruise it was a different direction from the 'romantic action hero/bad boy' mould.

10 hours ago, Isis said:

Last night I watched An Interview with the Vampire for the first time* after having read the book last year and really enjoying it. I don't think the film has aged too well. I'm wondering if it was perceived as being quite hammy back in 1994?

It's certainly hammy, but I thought it was a lot of fun (never read the book).  Definitely one of my favorite roles for Cruise, and Dunst for that matter.  And a young Thandiwe Newton!

7 hours ago, DMC said:

It's certainly hammy, but I thought it was a lot of fun (never read the book).  Definitely one of my favorite roles for Cruise, and Dunst for that matter.  And a young Thandiwe Newton!

Newton was never really on my radar until season 1 of Westworld. She was amazing.

Also one of the highlights of RocknRolla.

I’ve said it before but now I’ve seen the second half of Genndy  Tartakovsky’s  Primal I can confidently say it’s one of the best animated series I’ve ever seen.. if not the best.

What it really makes you appreciate is just how pure and well crafted the story telling and action is. If I was going to teach students about how to boil down an action scene that creates tension and gets the heart racing, this would be the show id make them watch.

Much like his other work, like Samurai Jack, he is able to keep a focus on telling a story with almost no dialogue , using the power of great animation to communicate what is happening. 

It’s so good

11 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Newton was never really on my radar until season 1 of Westworld. She was amazing.

Also one of the highlights of RocknRolla.

When I first read this I thought you meant 'she was amazing' in An Interview with the Vampire? But on second thought, presume you meant in Westworld. She was only very briefly in the former. So much so that I had to check IMDB to confirm, she had a slightly rounder face then I think. I first saw her in that film with Nicole Kidman, set in a school? Had to check - it's called Flirting. Also appearing in that Vampire film was Indra Ove - a familiar face, but I didn't know the name until I looked her up - who I recognised from the first Resident Evil film.

Last night I watched Saint Maud. Initially I found it underwhelming, I think because people had gone on and on about how great it was. But I've warmed to it more as I've been thinking about it afterwards. I'll spoiler the rest for anyone who hasn't seen it. 

Spoiler

It reminded me of The VVitch a little bit, based on the ambiguity I guess. Although at the end of The VVitch, the ambiguity is removed, whereas I would say that in Saint Maud, it is still there. I did find it a little slow to begin with - it's not a long film at all (about 80 minutes) but it felt too long at times. I love Jennifer Ehle. Think what a great Catelyn she would have made; I can totally see her hating on Jon Snow, contemptuously. Yes, a thought-provoking film indeed. Not really accurate to badge it as horror, as some have done. Not sure what you _would_ call it though? Psychological thriller? 

I am unexpectedly home alone this weekend so my plans are to finish off the last few eps of TWD and maybe do a rewatch of Fosse/Verdon which I have just spotted is STILL available on iplayer. It's brilliant and if you have access to iplayer you should treat yourself.

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

This last bit of Ozarks is bad.

Can't say I disagree. It wasn't a great show, but it was often entertaining. Feels like they really fumbled the ending quite hard.

33 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Trying to get through the first of the newest eps after catching up on Better Call Saul is torturous. 

Completely different level of writing and cinematography craft, for sure.

I just finished watching Call Me By Your Name. Ok, so this is why everyone wets themselves over Timothee Chalamet. I see. It's a great film. The closing scene is particularly good.

55 minutes ago, Isis said:

I just finished watching Call Me By Your Name. Ok, so this is why everyone wets themselves over Timothee Chalamet. I see. It's a great film. The closing scene is particularly good.

Fantastic film, indeed, and Chalamet's performance was definitely a star-turn. A lovely ending (if you haven't seen it, Portrait of a Lady on Fire directed by Céline Sciamma might be of interest to you, as in some ways its structure mirrors Call Me By Your Name, and its ending scene feels like a direct response to Guadagnino's close of Call Me By Your Name).

And if you haven't seen any of Luca Guadagnino's films before, A Bigger Splash -- the film he directed before Call Me -- is very good. Very different sort of film (although with thematic similarities -- it's the 2nd of the so-called 'Desire' trilogy, with Call Me being the close). Some stellar performances (Tilda Swinton in a largely-silent role is very nuanced, while Ralph Fiennes's presence on the screen crackles with manic energy) and some really gorgeous photography of Pantelleria, an island in the Strait of Sicily. The film is loosely based on Jacques Deray's La Piscine

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Moonfall, JFC. The amount of money this movie lost is almost as hilarious as the film itself. Everything about it is terrible. That said, I recommend watching it just to hate on it. The unintentional comedy is peak. 

I happened to watch some of Independence Day on tv the other day. It’s amazing how forgiving I was of this movie when it came out. It is SO DUMB and cornball. Which is strange because I used to hate so hard on The Day After Tomorrow for being one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. 

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I happened to watch some of Independence Day on tv the other day. It’s amazing how forgiving I was of this movie when it came out. It is SO DUMB and cornball. Which is strange because I used to hate so hard on The Day After Tomorrow for being one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. 

How dare you compare one of the best movies ever to Moonfall. I bet you think Jaws and The Meg are basically the same thing too....

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Fantastic film, indeed, and Chalamet's performance was definitely a star-turn. A lovely ending (if you haven't seen it, Portrait of a Lady on Fire directed by Céline Sciamma might be of interest to you, as in some ways its structure mirrors Call Me By Your Name, and its ending scene feels like a direct response to Guadagnino's close of Call Me By Your Name).

And if you haven't seen any of Luca Guadagnino's films before, A Bigger Splash -- the film he directed before Call Me -- is very good. Very different sort of film (although with thematic similarities -- it's the 2nd of the so-called 'Desire' trilogy, with Call Me being the close). Some stellar performances (Tilda Swinton in a largely-silent role is very nuanced, while Ralph Fiennes's presence on the screen crackles with manic energy) and some really gorgeous photography of Pantelleria, an island in the Strait of Sicily. The film is loosely based on Jacques Deray's La Piscine

Definitely still need to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire. But I did watch A Bigger Splash (maybe last year?) and thought it was fabulous! Ralph Fiennes is amazing in it. Yes, that holiday vibe/time is paused or on-hold/anything can happen feeling is palpable in both films.

Caught Death on the Nile in a cinema I had all to myself this morning. I'm not a Christie devotee, and hadn't read the book or seen any other adaptations. 

It wasn't a terrible way to pass two hours, but the dialogue was leaden, the pacing felt off, and the romantic subplot with Bouc (Tom Bateman) and Rosalie (Letitia Wright) seemed baffling since they didn't have any scenes together yet were supposedly deeply in love. 

I could also have done without the origin story of Poirot's moustache.

Sophie Okonedo as Salome the seen-it-all jazz singer lip-syncing to Sister Rosetta Tharpe turned out to be the film's odd highlight. I'd be happy to pay to see a follow-up with Salome and Rosalie touring the world fighting crime running a successful musical business. 

It would have been a better film with a director other than Branagh in charge: he's an okay-to-decent actor, but the actor-director gig brings out all his worst qualities. 

Still, I got five minutes of CGI sunlight, so that was alright. 

Recently watched the final season of Killing Eve and season 2 of Russian Doll.

Killing Eve: has never reached the peaks of season 2. There were some good moments in this season though and of course Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh are always excellent. The ending was such a waste as everyone seems to agree.

Russian Doll: Excellent, I actually enjoyed it more than season 1. The underlying "what has happened will happen" narrative kept the show more focused than season 1, imo. The last two episodes got really trippy and I enjoyed them a lot. Natasha Lyonne was wonderful throughout and the soundtrack was excellent.

Next for me will be the final season of Grace and Frankie

46 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It's been a while but as I recall she's barely in Interview with a Vampire. If she was on set for more than a few days I'd be surprised. 

Yeah it was just one of those fun cameos where the last time I saw it prolly about 5-10 years ago I was like "wait, shit, I think that's Thandiwe Newton!"

Archived