Ukraine 14 - Back to the Mud

Maithanet

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That Russia is stealing people from Ukraine (children especially) to bolster their own population is among the most bizarre features of this war.

Not to me.

Russia is in the midst of a demographic catastrophe.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Not to me.

Russia is in the midst of a demographic catastrophe.

And a lot of people—the educated and wealthy people—are leaving Russia  the first chance they get.

They have to recoup their losses.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That Russia is stealing people from Ukraine (children especially) to bolster their own population is among the most bizarre features of this war.

kidnapping the youth and brutalizing their sense of cultural identity falls neatly for their vow for genocide. 

On 4/29/2022 at 1:41 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

With all these ultra right types that worship Putin "like a prayer", one wonders why they never lusted after Iraq's OG Saddam? There's barely a bit of difference in these manly studs.

I guess inconsistency is one of the rights calling cards.

Actually I should say this; the ultra right in the west, when they’re not trying propagate their bigotry as concern for liberalism(ex we just have to force Muslim women out of their  headdresses for gender equality), do tend to give a degree of respect to autocrats in other nations or groups they’d typically  like to destroy or subjugate. They may even seek unity to some extent out of hatred towards other groups for moment.

Like they often find allies with tankies, Terfs, and black separatist like the Nation of Islam 

8 hours ago, Makk said:

Gerasimov has been injured and had to evacuate already with a serious shrapnel wound according to some reports both from Ukraine and an "unofficial Russian source". Not sure if true at this stage but would be extremely funny.

More detail here

Not really surprising given the large number of generals Russia has lost. I wonder if this wasn't the intent behind sending him there. The front line isn't a particularly safe place.

4 minutes ago, Loge said:

Not really surprising given the large number of generals Russia has lost. I wonder if this wasn't the intent behind sending him there. The front line isn't a particularly safe place.

In Russia if you’re too incompetent the enemy or Putin will kill you.

If you’re too competent Putin will kill you.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Stealing children is one of the features of modern tyrannies.

The Nazis stole about 250,000 Slavic children, deeming them suitable for “Germanisation”;  South American dictatorships stole the children of enemies liquidated, during Operation Condor.

Two Russian patrol ships destroyed by drones off Snake Island. They're quite small ships, absolutely nothing like the Moskva, but another sign of Ukraine's growing antiship capability.

UK MoD assessment is that more than 65% of Russia's entire ground combat strength has been deployed to Ukraine (interestingly, this postulates a standing Russian army of 184 Battalion Tactical Groups, not 168 as originally believed). A quarter of those units are now combat ineffective, with the most elite units, such as the VDV Airborne Forces, taking the brunt of attrition. Rob Lee on Twitter is pouring water on claims of 23,000-30,000 dead, noting that even with a 2:1 wounded-to-KIA ratio, that would have left the entire invasion force with almost 50% casualties, which feels a bit too high (although the figure probably includes DPR, LPR and irregular casualties as well, who are not part of the official Russian count of troops deployed). Unless the injury to death ratio is way, way off.

Only marginally related, but a ceasefire in Yemen seems to be (more or less holding), amidst greater hopes that Saudi Arabia and the UAE can strike a deal with the Iranian-backed Houthis. Iran is backing the ceasefire and a broader deal, whilst Saudi Arabia is apparently now convinced that it cannot win the war militarily and is looking for an exit strategy, to the point of ditching the Yemenese leaders the Houthis considered impossible to deal with and installing fresh blood. The USA is using this as an opportunity to bring Saudi Arabia back on board after worsening relations in recent years (apparently dangling Patriots as a defence system as an incentive).

Ending the war in Yemen would go a long way to helping restore stability in the Middle East and would also remove the "but what about Yemen?" rhetoric from discussions of Ukraine.

This assessment is interesting. Most young men in Transnistria are unwilling to fight against Moldova. In fact, as the economic situation in Transnistria has faltered, a lot of people in Transnistria want to join Moldova in a federation arrangement. A Russian invasion of Moldova would be difficult to achieve. A lot of young men in Transnistria have also moved to other parts of Moldova to avoid the draft. Most Transnistrians have a Moldovan passport, and only a small number have Russian ones. Transnistrian support for Russia seems to have waned in recent years.

There is a lot of media suggestion that Ukraine might attack Transnistria for some reason, so it might be that Russia is trying to gear up forces there for an attempt on Odesa, but this has almost no support. Even the "actual Russian" soldiers in Transnistria are mostly locals with Russian passports.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The nazis did it, massively, out of the populations they believed were really master race-ish, and thus candidates for being germanized.  They too had far too few master race to successfully colonize either the east or the west.  Plus moving hundreds of thousands to be worked to death for the sake the master race economy.  That there wasn't enough population to keep things working while deliberately working it to death while simultaneously not feeding it and keeping it in horrendous conditions never seemed to enter their minds as working against their goals.  White christian nationalism is anything but capable of thinking.

Ooops -- sorry, SeanF already brought this up, I see now!  But we agree: Putin is totally running the nazi playbook.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The nazis did it, massively, out of the populations they believed were really master race-ish, and thus candidates for being germanized.  They too had far too few master race to successfully colonize either the east or the west.  Plus moving hundreds of thousands to be worked to death for the sake the master race economy.  That there wasn't enough population to keep things working while deliberately working it to death while simultaneously not feeding it and keeping it in horrendous conditions never seemed to enter their minds as working against their goals.  White christian nationalism is anything but capable of thinking.

Ooops -- sorry, SeanF already brought this up, I see now!  But we agree: Putin is totally running the nazi playbook.

It’s one of the features of Nazism that would actually be quite funny, if the consequences weren’t so awful.

Lots of Slavs look very “Aryan.”  In fact, there are places in Poland where dark hair and brown eyes are considered quite exotic.  So, how did the Nazis reconcile this with their being “untermenschen”? Simply reclassify them as ethnic Germans who’d adopted Slavic customs.

The Gauleiters were given wide discretion to designate people as German.  So, Albert Foster simply reclassified all the Poles in his Gau as Germans, and told Himmler to get lost, when he objected.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Correction: Trump's a gangster, Mr. Chomsky.

Don't know what's happened to Chomsky, but it seems to have been going on for a while?  

I think it's probably a combination of being 93 and seeing absolutely everything through the lens of everything the United States (and by extension its allies) does as being evil.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it's probably a combination of being 93 and seeing absolutely everything through the lens of everything the United States (and by extension its allies) does as being evil.

Well, he's been doing the latter since he was 43.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I just don't understand how anyone with that starting point could view Trump as being better than Biden.  Trump absolutely funded dictatorships across the world, just as previous presidents did.  His affinity for Putin was not borne out of any leftist ideas, but out of an admiration for brutality and corruption. 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I just don't understand how anyone with that starting point could view Trump as being better than Biden.  Trump absolutely funded dictatorships across the world, just as previous presidents did.  His affinity for Putin was not borne out of any leftist ideas, but out of an admiration for brutality and corruption. 

Trump has admiration for the world’s dictators, even those hostile to the USA, because they do what he would like to do.  I think Chomsky would view Trump as evil but honest, whereas Biden is evil and dishonest.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The Gauleiters were given wide discretion to designate people as German.  So, Albert Foster simply reclassified all the Poles in his Gau as Germans, and told Himmler to get lost, when he objected.

Two thirds of his Gau, there were still 60.000 murdered and 170.000 deported. Let's not be too generous to a guy who was hanged at Nuremberg, though it is indeed an astonishing fact that his way of determining whether someone was German was to have someone walk up to them and ask "Did you have German ancestors" and when the reply was anything other than a clear no, the interviewee was considered German, somehow.

Archived