Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

Two of my colleagues gave a presentation in a group meeting at work on a tech conference they went to in Atlanta. They mentioned that the conference was sharing the hotel complex with a Furry Convention so we got a very sanitised explanation about furries.

It took a while to get it organized, but I finally got my booster shot a few days ago.

Also, I told a story to my students.  Part of the story was that I started teaching in 2005.  The students were very happy to point out that they were born after 2005.  :crying:

Just made myself a massive sausage and bacon ciabatta roll for lunch. Two sausages, three rashers, with ketchup AND the old Houses of Parliament. I'm not even sorry.

#InYourFaceMaggie

Yesterday I was correcting exams and... really didn't felt alright sitting in my chair for such a long time, so I tried out correcting them standing up... and felt my concentration massively surging and getting far more done than when I was sitting.

I guess office people reading this will roll their eyes about their naivety, but such a simple thing has caused me to wonder that if I got more space in a future flat, then I will certainly try and get myself a small standing desk or something like that. It's insane how much time I've saved by preventing myself from procrastinating in a chair.

A novel featuring moderators:

A New Psychological Thriller Explores the Grim Underbelly of Life as a Social Media Moderator
Hanna Bervoets’s latest novel, “We Had to Remove This Post,” is a discomfiting mystery about the disturbing parts of social media that most people never see

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/22/books/we-had-to-remove-this-post-hanna-bervoets.html

Decission, decissions, decissions. And the nuisance of nursing staff (I know it's a tough and ungrateful job).

Short summary.

Weekly visit at my dad's. It's summer, so took him out for a walk. Well, basically me pushing his wheelchair. It was fairly hot day.

Nurse or nurse assistant with a fairly inflated sense of self-importance (at least my perception): He isn't used to it [because we do not mobilize him that much] so keep it brief. No more than 45 mins.

Me: Usually I take him out longer, like 2 hours. 

N: 90 mins then? We need to get him back into his bed 

[that's an entirely different argument, one is my dad's stamina, the other is your workload]

Me [mental eye rolling]: Fine, but then I'd, or rather my father would need his watch. As I don't have one on me, and I don't take a cell phone when I visit him. In his bedside table.

N fetches the watch.

I am a man of my word, so I returned in time. However as my dad asked me for a beer, thus we stopped at a super market, and I granted his wish. 

Dad finished his beer, and smoked one last cigarette before being brought back into his room. 

N: I hope he had something to drink, as it's quite hot. 

Me [knowing where this was going] pointed at the empty beer can [I had no bottle opener ok, so a can was simply the easier way to solve this].

N [inflated sense of importance again]: What?! A beer? In this weather, that dehydrating him even more. 

Me: That's what he wanted, 

N berating me even more: That's a nono in this weather. 

Me weighing up the options, telling him to fuck off. As in, that beer is one piece of freedom/self-determination/luxury, that I was not willing to deny him. I mean, yeah, it is unhealthy, but then again, my dad's in his late 70s, and spending most of his days there lying in his bed. So if this beer, is something to improve his quality of living, even for a brief moment, that's his decission. Or in short get lost.  I opted against this rather direct and confrontational approach, but rather rolled my eyes visibly. 

Like I said. Decissions, decissions, decissions. Deny him the beer for fear of dehydration, or buy him the beer for his enjoyment. 

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Deny him the beer for fear of dehydration, or buy him the beer for his enjoyment. 

Personally, I believe your decision was right.  Good grief, in his room you can give him a glass of water.  I am a big hydrator personally, and I believe in hydration.  I also believe in beer.  Particularly for people who have achieved an age already and want one. 

I have a friend who drinks a bottle of wine every night.  She is very active, decent blood pressure, good weight, and 79.  Her doctors tell her to cut out the wine.  Her response is, "I'm 79.  I'm not going to live forever.  My wine is not hurting me and it sure has helped during the pandemic."  She didn't used to drink a bottle a night -- because she was able to have dinner with friends and conversation. Pandemic, it's dinner alone, her television before bed, with the wine.

The nurse was doing the job -- one wouldn't have wanted the nurse not to care.  But it's kinda like not seeing the individual and personal among all the rest the nurse has to see.  Overworked and overstaffed, as you say.

You are a good son.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:57 AM, Toth said:

Yesterday I was correcting exams and... really didn't felt alright sitting in my chair for such a long time, so I tried out correcting them standing up... and felt my concentration massively surging and getting far more done than when I was sitting.

This is interesting to me because standing  fucks me up.  When standing, I can't disconnect from the pain that standing causes me.  In sitting, many will disparage me as lazy but if I am not in pain I can be much more efficient.  It has come to a point where watching other people standing makes me uncomfortable because I assume they are in as much pain as I would be. 

It blows my mind to see someone standing unnecessarily because I can only think how painful that must be.

1)  If they are standing unnecessarily, that is a clue that they do not feel what I feel.

2)  That is amazing that they can stand without distress.

3)  It's a shame that I seem lazy to them because I need to sit.

I bought a hand steamer the other week and it just doesn’t really de-wrinkle stuff… I don’t know if I’m doing anything wrong or the appliance is shit. But it makes little to no difference. The only use I can see so far is to heat-treat those basic jersey knit tops. 

On 5/22/2022 at 5:57 PM, Toth said:

I guess office people reading this will roll their eyes about their naivety, but such a simple thing has caused me to wonder that if I got more space in a future flat, then I will certainly try and get myself a small standing desk or something like that. It's insane how much time I've saved by preventing myself from procrastinating in a chair.

We've got adjustable/raisable desks at work which I would suggest over just a standing desk, if at all possible for you. I also find I need to stand throughout the day to work or I'll suffer from the aches and pains later in the day, but standing for the full work day also takes its toll so its a happy medium to adjust my desk as and when needed. If you don't have the space for this at your home right now see if you can improvise one somehow. I don't have the space for one but luckily have a window set into an alcove so can use the alcove window sill as a standing desk when needed.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I bought a hand steamer the other week and it just doesn’t really de-wrinkle stuff… I don’t know if I’m doing anything wrong or the appliance is shit. But it makes little to no difference. The only use I can see so far is to heat-treat those basic jersey knit tops. 

I had a hand steamer and the best job it did for me was killing bed bugs.  If you need garments steamed, just hang them up in a closed bathroom with the shower on As Hot As Possible.  Walk away, come back 20 minutes later and it will be fine. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

(I wasn’t going to hurt it, just take it out back into the woods)

Without its head right?

I hate it when a Pine snake slithers off before I get back with the handy, head removing, spade.

Archived