Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

Saw so many carrying and / or reading actual print books.  The numbers I'm seeing with books seems to have significantly increased since the long stretch of brutal heat started. They have finally broken, thank goodness, down to a 3rd day in a row of truly pleasant, even superb weather -- despite the severe drought.  The dogs are so happy trotting along the sidewalks now, in complete contrast to most of them earlier this month.

Additionally, I overheard this, from a group of three guys, who had evidently just finished doing a job of some sort:

"Ya headin' uptown now?
"Na, too many vampires."

I'm still pondering what this could mean.  :) :dunno:

I did not win $20,000 on the slots in the Vegas airport once.  I would have, if I'd played my last two quarters together instead of one at a time. 

For a brief moment after all three of the biggest, fanciest, lucky 7s came up I thought maybe there was a delay on my payout so security could rush out and make sure nobody else tried to steal any of my loot. But, no, as the person next to me pointed out, those 7s only payed for two or more quarters.

Fuck Vegas. 

29 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Just wanted to do my part in helping to dry up the area reservoirs I guess:D

That's tough job with Los Angeles not so far down the road, they steal water from several states.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:39 PM, LongRider said:

That's tough job with Los Angeles not so far down the road, they steal water from several states.

I worked at a garden center / plant nursery in San Diego from 2005-2009.  Between understanding the water requirements that allowed the coast portion of the county to grow plants native to Hawaiian and PNW rainforests, seeing the business water usage, and exploring the eastern parts of the county was quite the learning experience in water usage.  

And then once you've flown in a few times and really see the desert for what it is from above, contrasted to the oasis near the beaches.... It's freaky as hell to think about what that city is built on. Don't even get me started on the central valley farming ...

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I worked at a garden center / plant nursery in San Diego from 2005-2009.  Between understanding the water requirements that allowed the coast portion of the county to grow plants native to Hawaiian and PNW rainforests, seeing the business water usage, and exploring the eastern parts of the county was quite the learning experience in water usage.  

And then once you've flown in a few times and really see the desert for what it is from above, contrasted to the oasis near the beaches.... It's freaky as hell to think about what that city is built on. Don't even get me started on the central valley farming ...

"Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown."

One of our A/C units at home conked out two weeks ago, despite being only five years old.  Our HVAC service contractor, after deciding that the compressor must be replaced, has been assiduously dodging our calls ever since.  It wasn’t so bad for the first week but then the next heat wave arrived on Friday.  I’m worried that there just aren’t any parts available and we’ll have to wait months.

Our basement and ground floor are mostly ok as their A/C unit is fine, albeit overworked now.  But the upper floor with all the bedrooms has no cooling.  And, for an unrelated reason, my remote work is currently from a spare bedroom upstairs rather than my office on the ground floor.

We open windows upstairs if the evening cools off enough, but that hasn’t helped much for the last few days.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's like Stifler watching chimps using tools in Dude Where's My Car:

I like the efficiency of this clip. "How boring is baseball" and "How terrible is mass produced US light beer" in under 20 seconds.

If you see the term "ESP skills" on someone's resume, what do you think that means?  My first thought was Extra-Sensory Perception.  But, hopefully, that person meant English for a Specific Purpose.  I had never heard of that term before today.

16 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

If you see the term "ESP skills" on someone's resume, what do you think that means?  My first thought was Extra-Sensory Perception.  But, hopefully, that person meant English for a Specific Purpose.  I had never heard of that term before today.

ESP could be shorthand for Spanish. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

My sister bought me some lovely new K-Swiss trainers. I had them on for two hours yesterday and now the backs of my heels each have a large, painful blister.

That's why I have been wearing the same style of trainer (Adidas Forest Hills) for about 15 years. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

My sister bought me some lovely new K-Swiss trainers. I had them on for two hours yesterday and now the backs of my heels each have a large, painful blister.

Regardless of style, size, or precautionary measures taken, the one inevitable for any new shoes I've ever bought are blisters. Such is the natural order of the world.

Favorite thing, i.e. the thing that has entirely tickled my funny bone, so to speak:  I called mi amigo who is a high end designer and fabricator -- she breathlessly answers her fone, to say, "Hi, can't talk, I'm making Rhianna's money suit and I have to keep overseeing my printer printing thousand dollar bills."  :lol:

Archived