Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

I have never listened to the band Muse before, or at least not deliberately. I’m sure I’ve heard their music over the years on rock stations. But a review of their new album Will of the People popped up and I just listened to it on You Tube. Damn good. 

What really struck a chord with me was their final song, “We are Fucking Fucked”. 

Yup.

I was in line at the Popeye's drive-thru when my Beyond Burger addiction grabbed me by the throat. Rendered helpless, I had to explain that I didn't actually want anything but it was still nice to chat a bit via the tinny speaker.

Also...

I am listening to NPR, as I eat my Beyond Burgers, interview Brian May. I can't remember ever hearing May's voice before and he sounds startlingly young*.

*The interview is from 2010 so more than a decade ago...still, the guy has a great voice.

7 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Interview year. Also can we stop talking about Bohemian Rhapsody already

I watched the Muppets sing that on YouTube yesterday after hearing that interview. Hilarious! I will always love Bohemian Rhapsody :wub:.  

Spoiler

Pink had done a very decent cover of Bohemian Rhapsody for one of her tours some years ago.

A lot of Queen covers are rather meh, because a lot of singers are not Freddie Mercury. 

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, not my favorite Queen song. Somebody to love or My Melancholy Blues for me.

Would you expect you 2nd line manager to come visit you if you were hospitalised?

I left it to their direct line manager who is also a friend thinking 'why the fuck would they want me to visit'.

I got chewed out for not being caring enough. If my 2nd LM tried to visit me in hospital I'd tell them to fuck off and stop being so intrusive. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nope. Long term illness not work related. 

If it's cancer (?) or something, I guess you could show up, colleagues are missing him, hope comes back soon ask him if he needs anything etc. that kinda message. Deliver a card the colleagues signed or something like that. Just showing you (pretend to?) care. 

50 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Would you expect you 2nd line manager to come visit you if you were hospitalised?

I left it to their direct line manager who is also a friend thinking 'why the fuck would they want me to visit'.

I got chewed out for not being caring enough. If my 2nd LM tried to visit me in hospital I'd tell them to fuck off and stop being so intrusive. 

BigFatCoward -- not just intrusive, but also undermining the leadership and responsibility of the first line supervisor. That’s what intermediate leaders are for.

Unless it’s an issue of life, limb, or eyesight, I wouldn’t get directly involved. Instead, I’d trust and expect reports from the first line supervisor, and would actively pass them on to my higher supervisor.

34 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If it's cancer (?) or something, I guess you could show up, colleagues are missing him, hope comes back soon ask him if he needs anything etc. that kinda message. Deliver a card the colleagues signed or something like that. Just showing you (pretend to?) care. 

aHNS -- no, insincere sympathy would be noticed, and have a negative impact.

The grocery store I just went to has the best piped in music.  Talking Heads singing And She Was is a great song to buy cheese to, and the loose carrots bin has just the right carrots for the air drum rolls for another song. Yup, good times. 

If you type the word “depression” into Pinterest in any context, the first thing you will see is a green text box offering help and directing you to a help line. I find this very thoughtful and endearing even with the skewed algorithm which cannot process context. (I was only trying to find “Great Depression dessert” ideas. Because, you know, butter doubled in price and now costs more in my Eastern European Tesco than it does in Waitrose)

Archived