Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

When I started moving a couple months ago I wanted to listen to music and didn't want to use my phone.  So I found and started using this really old mp3 player, like a tiny red thing that was around about the time the first ipods were available.  In other words, it's like twenty years old.  I think a little less than that, but thereabouts - it's basically like Quill getting a Zune at the end of Guardians 2.  Not sure I ever put it together before, but the thing is literally called SANSA.  And, again, it's red.

Since I unearthed it I've been using it more and more.  I can't believe it still works - and I especially can't believe I still have the USB chord to charge it via my laptop.  Anyway, made me realize I don't really listen to music much anymore.  The thing has a bunch of Dead and Marley on it, naturally, and I'm really enjoying getting back into Dead in particular.  Reminded me of the thread below, which is one of my all-time favorites, about the association between Dead and ASOIAF:

31 minutes ago, DMC said:

When I started moving a couple months ago I wanted to listen to music and didn't want to use my phone.  So I found and started using this really old mp3 player, like a tiny red thing that was around about the time the first ipods were available. 

That's a blast from the past. We used to have a Sansa MP3 player ages ago.

They've discontinued the Sansa line a good while ago, but SanDisk actually still produces cheap little music player/FM radio combos called the SanDisk Clip. And on Amazon SanDisk appears to be selling out some last stock of the Sansa Fuze+.

My employer is trying to hire a new teacher.  Evidently, the contract negotiations with their first choice went something like this.

My supervisors:  We wish to hire you.  Will your current employer cooperate with us on the visa paperwork?

The job applicant:  Yes, but they want me to pay a contract termination fee of 4,300 US$ first.  I'm trying to find a new employer who will pay that for me.

My supervisors:  Good luck with that.  Bye.

Have always thought the Mid-Autumn Festival sounds beautiful. Hope it gains more of a foothold over here. Out of interest, have you ever tried a fresh Mooncake? They look stunning, but I doubt that the ones of suspect age sold in packets could taste that nice, and I've never seen one being sold fresh in the UK. 

When I have my own kitchen again, I'd like to try and make one of the ones with lotus paste filling. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Have always thought the Mid-Autumn Festival sounds beautiful. Hope it gains more of a foothold over here. Out of interest, have you ever tried a fresh Mooncake? They look stunning, but I doubt that the ones of suspect age sold in packets could taste that nice, and I've never seen one being sold fresh in the UK. 

When I have my own kitchen again, I'd like to try and make one of the ones with lotus paste filling. 

Yes, they are excellent. I've had them twice. The first time was because someone around here did a charity fundraiser during June 2020 where donating a certain amount to mutual aid funds got you a package of fresh mooncakes. The second time was when the mother of one of my students brought mooncakes to all his teachers at fall parent/teacher conferences.

Returning from my Omicron jab I encountered at NYU a very fine -- and I do mean fine! --  fellow in a right out of the box new bright yellow hoodie, with big white lettering on the front proclaiming, “VIRGINITY ROCKS.”

What's that about, I wonder.  The name of his band?

I laffed because it made me think of last night's Hot D episode on which, once again, a woman's virginity, having it, losing it, keeping people from knowing, etc. was such a Hot Matter.  :lol:

On 9/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, Raja said:

Sonoya Mizuno is being absolutely wasted on this show. Also, wtf kind of accent is she doing

It is something, that accent. I find it quite distracting. It’s like what sounds foreign in a fantasy land where people speak English with British accents - sort of a weird French?

1 hour ago, john said:

It is something, that accent. I find it quite distracting. It’s like what sounds foreign in a fantasy land where people speak English with British accents - sort of a weird French?

It is so bad. It doesn't even sound french! They should have just let her use her normal accent, even though I know she's supposed to be from the east.

Archived