Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

My brother, my brother, don't ever change!  In email today: 

I’ve also starting preparing to cut things and clean things up in preparation for winter.  I’ve prepared to snow blower and changed oil on the grass mower already ready for storage.  .... We put out the outside and inside Halloween decorations this week.

How is it 10C? I’m so cold. Do I put on another jumper? Do I make some tea and drink it in 10 minutes so it stays warm? Do I let one of the dogs in so we can keep each other warm like in medieval times? Or do I build a terracotta pot and tea light heater in the middle of the room? :idea:

Didn’t we use to have a baking thread or something along the lines? I’m just dumping my baking failure here. 

Well… I tried to make candied ginger today because it’s an ingredient in the pie I want to make. Yes I cut the slices too thick, yes overheated the leftover syrup so it became hard candy rather than syrup, no I wasn’t patient enough to wait for it dry to properly before coating it in sugar. Seriously… It absorbed the sugar then it started to sweat it off, the thing wouldn’t dry out for its life. Then again, I threw it out after  4 hours and probably should have waited at least overnight. Stupid bloody ginger… I might go to the mall tomorrow and see if there’s a store bought version available, but honestly, I won’t be mad if there isn’t, because I always make pies entirely from scratch and that’s how I like it. Anyway, I need to sleep on this highly traumatic experience and decide if I even want candied ginger in my pie after all. I could just do a spice mix… stupid ginger. I’m upset. 

Pro Tip.

Cooking is sorta art, means you have a bit more freedom with the receipe and ingredients (a bit more or less doesn't spoil anything), and how you use and prepare them. Means you can be a bit sloppy with the execution and still more or less get the dish you wanted to make.

Baking in contrast is more of science. You really, really should stick to the receipe rather slavishly. You rarely can fix any screw ups.

9 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Pro Tip.

Cooking is sorta art, means you have a bit more freedom with the receipe and ingredients (a bit more or less doesn't spoil anything), and how you use and prepare them. Means you can be a bit sloppy with the execution and still more or less get the dish you wanted to make.

Baking in contrast is more of science. You really, really should stick to the receipe rather slavishly. You rarely can fix any screw ups.

Yep. If a recipe says 250 gm of flour, that's how much I use, not 1 gram more or less. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yep. If a recipe says 250 gm of flour, that's how much I use, not 1 gram more or less. 

Not 1 g but different proportions do screw up baking. Looking at it the wrong way screws up baking. Or fine, let’s admit it, I’m a shit baker :lol: 

Anyway, I’m physically incapable of admitting defeat so I bought more ginger to have another more educated go at this.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Goddamn is Tampa freaking out about this storm.

Hope you all will be ok.  Doubtless too, this means the gub will be demanding billions from the feds to help him move more migrants from TX to Martha's Vineyard.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Goddamn is Tampa freaking out about this storm.  If you don't hear from me by Monday, it's not because the weather got me but rather I participated in community-based cardiac arrest.

DMC -- good luck! Ian is headed right towards you ... saw a report there might be up to 2 feet of rain.

11 minutes ago, Wade1865 said:

DMC -- good luck! Ian is headed right towards you ... saw a report there might be up to 2 feet of rain.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  The good news - for me at least - is it looks like the storm is gonna land further south than initially anticipated.  So here in Tampa they're much less worried about storm surge today but ironically more worried about just regular flooding because the storm is slowing down which means more rainfall.  The only thing I'm personally worried about is my brother and I's car, as we don't have a garage.

Archived