Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Sarasota though -- storm surge.  This Ian is BIG.  Gack.

@DMC  It's gladsome though, that you are feeling quite confident you all will be OK, other than car, of course.

Thanks again.  And yeah - tbc - I don't want to minimize the impact of the storm.  Indeed, Sarasota in particular, based on its shift today, looks to be in big trouble.  Just saying on a personal level I'm considerably less concerned today than I was yesterday and my brother and I are gonna stick it out - largely preparing for power outages which suck but are hardly life-threatening.  Sounds like my brother-in-law is staying put too, although my sister and the baby headed to my parents yesterday in Gainesville.  That was largely to make sure she can get to a doctor - the baby has been on-and-off sick for about a month now.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

to make sure she can get to a doctor

Good move, for sure.

Our family in Cuba at least have batteries and candles and a few other things essential both before and after Ian's passing. They have survived in Havana again -- as far as they can with a dengue epidemic (buncha those mosquitoes -- could they arrive in Florida too, with the storm winds?) and everything else.  We were able to send some supplies along with someone going there last week!

@DMC, stay safe buddy. I keep hearing different reports about exactly how bad Tampa will be hit, but the reoccurring point that's troubling is that Tampa, unlike a lot of other places in Florida, isn't built to withstand a storm like this and that a lot of the buildings and infrastructure in the city are outdated. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

but the reoccurring point that's troubling is that Tampa, unlike a lot of other places in Florida, isn't built to withstand a storm like this and that a lot of the buildings and infrastructure in the city are outdated. 

Yes.  I've been looking into this and learned a lot over the last 48 hours for obvious reasons.  This is why I was sure to get a place inland.  That's something that seemed obvious.  However, the fact I found a place that is not in a low-lying flood zone was dumb luck.  Those are the places that were evacuated yesterday..er, starting Monday.  And they're, like, right below me.  Within hundreds of yards.  I clearly should have looked into it before coming here, but I did not know how big of a deal that was if/when storm surge hit.

Luckily, it's almost certain at this point there isn't going to be any significant storm surge hit here.  It IS still gonna hit down in Sarasota and Port Charlotte.  Like, eminently.

I hate saying this because I don't want to make light of the storm that will/already has hurt a lot of people, but it's kind of fascinating seeing how the local media has dealt with the shifting expectations over the last 24/36 hours.  At this point they all admit - from fema to weather.com to local outlets - this is now just a tropical storm warning for my area.

In other words, it's just gonna rain a lot but it sounds like the winds aren't gonna get any worse than they are right now.  Which..I've experienced literally everywhere I've lived and pales in comparison to every time I loathed to go into the Pitt building I taught/worked in that's entrance had a wind tunnel for at least half the year.

The basis of the freakout when it comes to Tampa, that I think/know the media is getting from academics, is how unprepared they are if they DO get directly hit by a real storm.  They/we dodged that bullet, again, but obviously with climate change eventually it's going to happen.  Soon.  Even though it hasn't in a century.

Anyway, I still think I'll probably lose power for awhile and I don't want to jinx it - especially cuz my tv/roku is cutting in and out as I write this - but this is just looking like a really prolonged shitty day or two of your average Tampa weather right now.

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

I hate saying this because I don't want to make light of the storm that will/already has hurt a lot of people, but it's kind of fascinating seeing how the local media has dealt with the shifting expectations over the last 24/36 hours.  At this point they all admit - from fema to weather.com to local outlets - this is now just a tropical storm warning for my area.

The WaPo is behind then, despite constant updating.  Anyway, I've come here directly to see if you were posting.  

I am fervently hoping the Big Ammo's being/been dodged.  The aftermaths though, can be equally dreadful in their own ways, in terms of water, food, mess -- power.

For some reason nobody knows, all of Cuba's without power.  There is no water, nothing.  People are sleeping outside because there's wind -- the mosquitoes are literally killing them, and they're already massively suffering from dengue.  The immiseration is hard to describe.

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

For some reason nobody knows, all of Cuba's without power.  There is no water, nothing.  People are sleeping outside because there's wind -- the mosquitoes are literally killing them, and they're already massively suffering from dengue.  The immiseration is hard to describe.

Yeah I'm much more worried about this.  Really hope the recovery goes as best as possible.

Just now, Zorral said:

Hope you have a decent 'shytty' hurricane day while your a/c keeps working!  

Me too!  At this point I'm staying up as long as possible just so if the power goes out, I'll just go to bed and hopefully sleep through it.  And then, if need be, I guess I'll read Fire and Blood in the dark.  Or maybe @Ran's huge ass World Book.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'll read Fire and Blood in the dark. 

Sharon Kay Penman's When Christ and His Saints Slept is far more interesting and easier to read, and a real novel to boot, when it comes to The Anarchy than F&B -- which, like Duron's series, he certainly admits cribbing!  Or, so we now say, sampling?  :D

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Sharon Kay Penman's When Christ and His Saints Slept is far more interesting and easier to read, and a real novel to boot, when it comes to The Anarchy than F&B -- which, like Duron's series, he certainly admits cribbing!  Or, so we now say, sampling?  :D

Good to know!  Don't think I'll be able to read that in the next 24-48 hours if the power goes out though.  :P

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

Good to know!  Don't think I'll be able to read that in the next 24-48 hours if the power goes out though.  :P

Ah -- you're reading on a device then!  I wondered how you could read in the dark such teeny print!  (Of course, at best, I'm vision impaired.)

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ah -- you're reading on a device then! 

Nah, if the power goes out I'll be reading from my actual books.  It'd be a waste of batteries to read from a device.  My Fire and Blood book is a hardcover, which means the print is actually considerably larger than my copies of The Silm or Unfinished Tales - which is what I'll go to next by moving from Martin to Tolkien.  :)

43 minutes ago, DMC said:

reading from my actual books

Ah -- as long as there's daylight, anyway.  Hope the power doesn't go out though.

Up here, at the moment, which is actually a small thing -- or, again, maybe not -- wondering what James Madison would make of Lizzo playing his crystal flute, loaned to her (for only a few moments) by the Library of Congress no less!  

I remembered that I got hot pepper juices in my eyes a few times when I was growing up because we would always grow a garden. I was going over and over in my deluded mind what would have made me ill like that and I can surmise that the sheer heat value of the Capsaicin in my face and eyes not only scared me but disturbed me.

Power's back on.  Lost it at about 5 pm yesterday, got back from Chili's a little while ago and it was on.  From neighbors sounded like it got back on at 8 tonight.  So..27 hours without power.  Other than that it was much ado about nothing where I'm at.  The rainfall wasn't even close to what they were anticipating.  The wind got pretty bad yesterday, but nothing too dangerous.  I was out there enjoying the storm during the worst of it for us (I've always liked watching storms).

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Power's back on.  Lost it at about 5 pm yesterday, got back from Chili's a little while ago and it was on.  From neighbors sounded like it got back on at 8 tonight.  So..27 hours without power.  Other than that it was much ado about nothing where I'm at.  The rainfall wasn't even close to what they were anticipating.  The wind got pretty bad yesterday, but nothing too dangerous.  I was out there enjoying the storm during the worst of it for us (I've always liked watching storms).

Take it the car is okay?

Archived