Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Take it the car is okay?

Yeah, thanks, shouldn't have even been concerned.  The drainage system at my apt complex made it never even a worry.  Honestly in terms of rainfall while it was more prolonged, I'm pretty sure we've already gotten about the same amount in the same amount of time in the six weeks we've lived here.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, thanks, shouldn't have even been concerned.  The drainage system at my apt complex made it never even a worry.  Honestly in terms of rainfall while it was more prolonged, I'm pretty sure we've already gotten about the same amount in the same amount of time in the six weeks we've lived here.

That's good to hear. I held off on posting some pics/videos from Twitter on the off chance you were still checking the site without knowing what your situation was. I saw some videos that had the water so high on the streets that even large pickups were like 90% underwater. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

That's good to hear. I held off on posting some pics/videos from Twitter on the off chance you were still checking the site without knowing what your situation was. I saw some videos that had the water so high on the streets that even large pickups were like 90% underwater. 

No reason to hold off on my account.  And yeah, this is horrible for a lot of places - including certain areas in and around Tampa.  But my sister's place - which is much more in Tampa proper but also in a considerably more wealthy neighborhood (whereas my apartment complex is predominately minorities) didn't even lose power.  

12 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Did you try shooting the hurricane?  Requires zero training.  

Eta: all deadheads can dance, whether they believe it or not 

I don't like guns, but I definitely tried punching it.

All deadheads think they can dance.  But then the nitrous wears off and we realize we're like Elaine from Seinfeld.

First sentence of the article-

The average MLS franchise is worth $582 million, according to data compiled by Sportico.

The headline above that first sentence-

Average MLS Club Worth $582 Billion With LAFC At No. 1

Great work guys, your a credit to your craft!

I have become addicted to the youtube videos that show some interesting view for hours. I will usually have on one of the 'rain outside cozy apartment/hotel with view of city' or one of the space videos. Lately it's been a wormhole video but I will go a while on the city ones as well. I don't actually sit and watch for more than few minutes, but it's on as I wander around my apartment so I can pause and look at it for a while periodically.

After hearing that a new book is coming out about Kenneth Dover the classicist best known for Greek Homosexuality (1978), a Twitter comment set me off Googling, which led me to reading a JStor article from 1995 'The Life and Death of Trevor Aston'. The subject of the article is itself important and could make a very good play/television drama in the right hands; but it's full of remarkable details. Most notably that the young Trevor Aston's parents worked at a sanatorium for children, Pigeon Hill, run by an Oswald-Mosely-supporting matron called Ethel Scrimgeour.

Scrimgeour received guests including Fascists such as William Joyce, and during the war "the children would be made to huddle round radio sets at night to listen to 'Germany Calling'". Neighbours alerted the police, who asked her to please stop indoctrinating the children (!). Oh to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. She died of scurvy in 1953.*

Random, but I needed to share this stuff somewhere. 

*Fair-mindedness obliges me to add that the scurvy was probably a result of her advanced age and other illnesses, not because she'd started eating the food given to the sick children as would be the case were it a novel by Dickens. 

It's been raining for over 3 days now.  It's also cold.  The heat came up this morning.  Going out for groceries I wore a hat and gloves as well as rain coat!  It's only October 3rd.  This very early fall chill bodes badly for when it's winter. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived