Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.

BigFatCoward

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In the last hour or so of watching a basketball game I've seen at least five ads telling people to ask their doctors if they, as their patient, need a specific prescription drug. Is this common outside of the US?

Not in the UK. Adverts for prescription medicine aren't allowed on TV over here.

What type of drugs are you seeing advertised in this fashion? Please don't say opioids.

ETA: From google. Eek.

Can you advertise prescription drugs in the USA?
Federal law does not bar drug companies from advertising any kind of prescription drugs, even ones that can cause severe injury, addiction, or withdrawal effects. 

27 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Not in the UK. Adverts for prescription medicine aren't allowed on TV over here.

What type of drugs are you seeing advertised in this fashion? Please don't say opioids.

ETA: From google. Eek.

Can you advertise prescription drugs in the USA?
Federal law does not bar drug companies from advertising any kind of prescription drugs, even ones that can cause severe injury, addiction, or withdrawal effects. 

No, opioids have a level of classification that doesn't permit that, but we've been having a national opioid crisis here for a while now because doctors were handing them out like candy. The commercials have ranged from ED, to severe heart burn to constipation. But everyone is encouraging to viewer to ask their doctors about them. It's similar to ads that basically teach kids how to nag their parents into buying them toys or sugary food. 

ETA: So that must mean you've never seen how these ads at times spend 15-30 seconds speed reading all the side effects of these drugs?

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, opioids have a level of classification that doesn't permit that, but we've been having a national opioid crisis here for a while now because doctors were handing them out like candy. The commercials have ranged from ED, to severe heart burn to constipation. But everyone is encouraging to viewer to ask their doctors about them. It's similar to ads that basically teach kids how to nag their parents into buying them toys or sugary food. 

ETA: So that must mean you've never seen how these ads at times spend 15-30 seconds speed reading all the side effects of these drugs?

That's horrible. As are the news stories about American diabetics having to ration their insulin because it's so ridiculously overpriced.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

That's horrible. As are the news stories about American diabetics having to ration their insulin because it's so ridiculously overpriced.

It saddens me to say these SNL skits are actually closer to reality than parody. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

In the last hour or so of watching a basketball game I've seen at least five ads telling people to ask their doctors if they, as their patient, need a specific prescription drug. Is this common outside of the US?

I’m a bit puzzled - you’ve only just noticed these ads? Are you telling us that you finally bought a tv or are you telling us this is the first time in a long time you’ve watched while sober?

49 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’m a bit puzzled - you’ve only just noticed these ads? Are you telling us that you finally bought a tv or are you telling us this is the first time in a long time you’ve watched while sober?

No, it's a question I've asked myself since I was a kid. It just seems comically bad now, hence the video above.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I don't think Matthew Perry is okay

It's pretty obvious he was joking and he's already apologized:  “I’m actually a big fan of Keanu,” he said. “I just chose a random name, my mistake. I apologize. I should have used my own name instead.”

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's pretty obvious he was joking and he's already apologized:  “I’m actually a big fan of Keanu,” he said. “I just chose a random name, my mistake. I apologize. I should have used my own name instead.”

Choosing a 'random' name twice in different parts of the book makes no sense to me :lol:

Archived