Jump to content

Small, smaller, smallest. Irrelevant shit.


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I thought baklava were these delicious honeyed treats and here you people are talking of wearing them to cover bad haircuts?

Purely rhetorical here, no need for corrective answers:lmao:

I've actually made this mistake in real life. So don't worry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Just remember that there are a lot of children out there that thoroughly deserve to have a bad day. You should force yourself to go out once in a while, if for no other reason than upsetting them.

Good point. I'm frankly tired of these "kids" "having a nice day"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched a perfume advertisement where Adam Driver appears to mate with a horse, who then gives birth to a centaur. 

 

Edited by Spockydog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serious question, in the song Folsom Prison Blues, the singer tells us his crime "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die."  OK, serious crime committed in the State of Nevada.  So why is he in Folsom Prison, in the State of California?   Why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Manhattan's median rent has reached $4150 a month.

"In New York City, landlords generally ask that renters make an annual salary equal to 40 times their rent. That means the median renter in Manhattan is expected to make $166,000 a year. The median household income in NYC is $67,000."

New York is hardly alone either, with this rock and a hard place scenario of incomes not keeping pace with the costs of housing.

 

-Rate hikes and recession are still in the cards

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html

Edited by DireWolfSpirit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, LongRider said:

why is he in Folsom Prison, in the State of California?   Why?

Transferred there because Folsom in those days housed maximum security prisoners.  Prisoners get classified as minimum, medium, maximum security prisoners, also depending on the classification of their crimes.  It's always been that way; they get moved for various reasons, particularly if they commit violence in a lower security risk prison, or convicted a new crime, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

ransferred there because Folsom in those days housed maximum security prisoners.  Prisoners get classified as minimum, medium, maximum security prisoners, also depending on the classification of their crimes.  It's always been that way; they get moved for various reasons, particularly if they commit violence in a lower security risk prison, or convicted a new crime, etc.

You have the best answer so far, but Nevada had a maximum-security prison, the now closed, (in 2012) Nevada State Prison.  NSP was open when the song first came out in 1955 and here is a link to its page, it has an interesting history.  History of NSP - Nevada State Prison 

Wikipedia says two interesting things about this song

Quote

 

Cash was inspired to write this song after seeing the movie Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison (1951) 

Cash recounted how he came up with the line "But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die": "I sat with my pen in my hand, trying to think up the worst reason a person could have for killing another person, and that's what came to mind."


 

The real answer is of course, creative license.  I doubt Cash realized he crossed state lines.   :cheers:   

Fun fact, while researching this I learned that California and Nevada both have a prison named High Desert State Prison.  HDSP in Cali is in Susanville, CA and in Nevada it's in Indian Springs, NV.

:)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

You have the best answer so far, but Nevada had a maximum-security prison, the now closed, (in 2012) Nevada State Prison.  NSP was open when the song first came out in 1955 and here is a link to its page, it has an interesting history.  History of NSP - Nevada State Prison 

Wikipedia says two interesting things about this song

The real answer is of course, creative license.  I doubt Cash realized he crossed state lines.   :cheers:   

Fun fact, while researching this I learned that California and Nevada both have a prison named High Desert State Prison.  HDSP in Cali is in Susanville, CA and in Nevada it's in Indian Springs, NV.

:)

One other (semi-plausible) possibility - narrator committed additional crimes not mentioned in the lyrics (i.e., killing law enforcement while fleeing in CA), maybe is serving the start or end of his sentence in CA.  

Life in Reno is pretty cheap, like their buffets

 

 

Edited by VigoTheCarpathian
Clarity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

One other (semi-plausible) possibility - narrator committed additional crimes not mentioned in the lyrics (i.e., killing law enforcement while fleeing in CA), maybe is serving the start or end of his sentence in CA.  

Life in Reno is pretty cheap, like their buffets

 

 

Reno is very close to the Cali state line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made the long deserty drive up from Vegas to Great Basin Park one weekend. Swung around for a stop in Elko. I remember going by a large prison, high desert and not much else out there, that must've been the Indian Springs facility.

In my memories I just associate it as Elko, not exactly a sprawling area.

Probably a good spot to stuff bandits, the highways all warn not to pick up hitchers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LongRider said:

I doubt Cash realized he crossed state lines

Considering how much time Cash spent on the road, despite that long period of drugged out mess, he knew.  He also knew how much the guys in Folsom were gonna love that line!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Swung around for a stop in Elko. I remember going by a large prison, high desert and not much else out there, that must've been the Indian Springs facility.

I looked up Indian Springs when I made the post and it’s in Southern Nevada.  Not much in Elko that’s true, don’t know which prison that is. 
I lived in Reno a long time and really like Northern Nevada. Don’t like Vegas or So Nevada tho’.

Nevada isn’t much to drive through, that’s for sure. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Considering how much time Cash spent on the road, despite that long period of drugged out mess, he knew.  He also knew how much the guys in Folsom were gonna love that line!

“I shot a man in Reno” lyrically does sound better than say “ I shot a man in Fresno. “.  :lol:   
Fresno, who cares, right?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LongRider said:

I looked up Indian Springs when I made the post and it’s in Southern Nevada.  Not much in Elko that’s true, don’t know which prison that is. 
I lived in Reno a long time and really like Northern Nevada. Don’t like Vegas or So Nevada tho’.

Nevada isn’t much to drive through, that’s for sure. 

 

The funnest thing to do in Vegas is leave it.

Mt. Charleston is lovely Longrider, did you ever make it over there?  Even has a nice skiing spot.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...