Immediate consequences of Jon's betrayal of the NW

Rondo

15 hours ago, Rondo said:

abused Aliser Thorne on a mission in which he is not likely to survive.

More like abuser.

Another move by Jon prompted by his distaste for the man. 

Jon sent him because he thought he was a good fit for the job and to stop him scheming with Janos. So it was promoted by what Jon felt was best for the watch, not by his justifiable distaste for Ser Aliser.

I think Thorne will survive and continue to be the opposition to Jon.

I wonder what Thorne will do when he realises how he's been treating Rhaegar's son.

He will survive Jon's purge of the watch. 

Jon's not really going to 'purge' anyone. The assassins will be executed and that's that. He's not going to kill people just because they disagree with him. He hasn't before.

He gets to tell the story of the last lord commander before the watch was corrupted.

Yes, before it was corrupted by Bowen Marsh and co. Luckily Jon will sort things out soon enough.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:34 PM, Rondo said:

Lord Commander Snow sent the much abused Aliser Thorne on a mission in which he is not likely to survive.  Another move by Jon prompted by his distaste for the man.  I think Thorne will survive and continue to be the opposition to Jon.  He will survive Jon's purge of the watch.  He gets to tell the story of the last lord commander before the watch was corrupted.

Can't tell if this is a troll post. It does feel like it, because it's framing a character who is clearly a bully, as some sort of victim. In fact Dywen is the leader of Aliser Throne's group. One of the kindest and most experienced rangers in the series. If Jon wanted to kill Thorne, I really doubt he would have had Dywen as his commander.

On 9/26/2022 at 8:57 AM, Craving Peaches said:

Yes, before it was corrupted by Bowen Marsh and co. Luckily Jon will sort things out soon enough.

Sort things out!  It was Jon who caused the disaster at the wall.  No, when Snowhead comes back, it will be to carry out revenge and then go look for his sister (he thinks is his sister).  That rabid wolf is trouble.

Just now, Rondo said:

Sort things out!  It was Jon who caused the disaster at the wall.  No, when Snowhead comes back, it will be to carry out revenge and then go look for his sister (he thinks is his sister).  That rabid wolf is trouble

Nah, Bowen caused the issue at the wall. Jon was trying to save them all from the biggest threat they'd ever seen. Pomegranatehead on the other hand, is a fool. He has left the watch leaderless and in turmoil at a time of great peril. He is nothing but trouble.

Also, Jon cannot be classified as rabid.

On 9/29/2022 at 8:33 PM, Rondo said:

Sort things out!  It was Jon who caused the disaster at the wall.  No, when Snowhead comes back, it will be to carry out revenge and then go look for his sister (he thinks is his sister).  That rabid wolf is trouble.

Wow, hate much? Can you answer a question for me? I've always wondered whether you guys feel yourselves special by your villian loving and hero hating comments -and they are just that, Jon is clearly written as a Hero while Freys, most of the Lannisters etc are written as villains, however grey GRRM claims his characters to be- or do you just get off on trolling?

I wonder what Thorne will do when he realises how he's been treating Rhaegar's son.

Jon is not the son of Rhaegar.  He is the son of Mance or even Brandon with Lyanna.  

More like abuser.

Jon Snow attacked Ser Aliser.  

Jon's not really going to 'purge' anyone. The assassins will be executed and that's that. He's not going to kill people just because they disagree with him. He hasn't before.

Oh yeah, Slynt disagreed with him and Jon murdered him.  

Jon is not going to sort anything out.  He created the problem at the wall.  

17 minutes ago, Rondo said:

Jon is not the son of Rhaegar.  He is the son of Mance or even Brandon with Lyanna.  

You wish. Snowhead's most likely legitimate so he has a better claim than Daenerys.

After Ser Aliser had been beating him for ages and then insulted him and his family.

Snowhead executed Slynt after he repeatedly refused orders. Not really murder because that's the accepted punishment for such insubordination. Snowhead needed to keep discipline and Slynt was undermining him and the watch as a whole.

Bowen Marsh created the problem. Poor Snowhead needs to clean up the mess Marsh caused.

Just now, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

It always baffles me how a few people are willing to go as far as defending Janos Slynt just because of their dislike for Jon.

Even if you don't like Snowhead, there's really no way you can seriously claim he murdered Slynt. I mean we're right in his head and he spells out the reasons. It was an execution, not murder. Unless you think Snowhead is psychotic or he is somehow fabricating his own thoughts.

10 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Even if you don't like Snowhead, there's really no way you can seriously claim he murdered Slynt. I mean we're right in his head and he spells out the reasons. It was an execution, not murder. Unless you think Snowhead is psychotic or he is somehow fabricating his own thoughts.

Why do you call him Snowhead ?

11 hours ago, Rondo said:

This made me laugh.  If there is an award for intentionally (or unintentionally) silly posts this is a contender.

Thorne is a political exile who chose The Wall over execution.  He didn't choose this life and he despises the boys he is obliged to train and is a bitter bully who taunts and abuses them.  Jon's original confrontation with Thorne and the reason for Thorne's enmity was Thorne urging the boys to continue beating the pitiful Sam who had yielded in the practice yard after being soundly thrashed.  Jon's first leadership role in the NW is to protect one of the recruits from a jaded and unpleasant bully.

When Jon lashes out at Thorne it is after Thorne has taunted him over his father, "Not just a bastard, but a traitor's bastard".  Mormont showed his view of Thorne's behaviour by removing him from his position and sending him to KL to get him out of the way.

Oh yeah, in a strictly hierarchical medieval military society "disagreeing" with your superior, actually open defiance, contempt and repeated refusal to carry out orders is called mutiny and is punishable by execution. 

This isn't rocket science.

12 hours ago, Rondo said:

The combined actions and mistakes of The Wildlings, Others and Mormont have created the larger problem and it is the arrival of Stannis together with Jon's promotion and policies that have steadied the ship.  Marsh and Ramsay may f*ck it all up but that remains to be seen.

The amount of people willing to defend Thorne amuses me. He's an interesting character to be sure, but a bully all the same. Any teacher who bullies their charges, to the point that they hate him, isn't a very good teacher and a pretty horrible human as a whole.

On 4/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, Rondo said:

Lord Commander Jon Snow betrayed the NW and dragged the ancient Brotherhood into conflict with Roose Bolton.  The immediate consequence is chaos within Castle Black.  This unrest will spread to the other forts on the wall and will lead to a divided Brotherhood.  While most will agree with Bowen Marsh, there will undoubtedly be some who will disagree with the assassination of their lord commander.  Regardless of how erratic and incompetent Jon was, he was their elected lord commander.  What will happen shortly after Jon takes his last breath:

1. Wun the Giant will be killed but not without trouble.
  2. Bowen Marsh will take over as the interim Lord Commander.  He will organize Castle Black but the wildlings will not be placated.
  3. I do not think Bowen and the Brother will be able to stop the wildlings from leaving the castle to attack the Boltons.
  4. The Weeper and his people will come calling just when the castle is in disorder.

What else?

I think very few will disagree with me.  I'll just send a letter to Ramsay and let him know we've taken care of our problem.

Archived