Hope you're having a great week! - Looking for math app games for kids

thegoldbering

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a math related app game for kids (to kill two birds with one stone) where they can have fun but at the same time improve their solving skills or concepts, not necessarily studying them but learning them by looking at how the game works.

I'm asking because I'd like to get my niece more motivated on her studies of science and math subjects and the one she needs the most help with is with math. She's in grade 7 and she's already getting some math help with this app but it doesn't provide much of the "fun game" part I'm looking for, it's more of a traditional way of practicing math. I know for example "angry birds" was inspired by the physics game "Crush the Castle" and it adheres to physics laws and there are all these videos on YouTube where they explain the lessons you can take from angry birds..... well something like that but for math. Some have told me that playing dominoes is good to develop math skills but I don't know, at least I don't see it.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, does anyone know of a good game math app? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

21 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

So the best app we have used is IXL.  It is more traditional but really, really works.  

Thanks Zabzie!  I was just, by coincidence, loading up my child's iPad with Khan Academy courses, having realized that her school isn't exactly pushing the envelope on academics.  Which, by the way, looking at the IXL coursework, has our education system regressed so much that pre-calculus is taught in 12th grade?  I figured the slow progress was pandemic related, but based on that rubric, they really don't cover that much material in a year do they.  We certainly had algebra and trig-based geometry in Middle School- after walking uphill both ways in the snow of course!  Seems Mommy/Daddy boot camp will be extended beyond the Summer break!

56 minutes ago, horangi said:

Thanks Zabzie!  I was just, by coincidence, loading up my child's iPad with Khan Academy courses, having realized that her school isn't exactly pushing the envelope on academics.  Which, by the way, looking at the IXL coursework, has our education system regressed so much that pre-calculus is taught in 12th grade?  I figured the slow progress was pandemic related, but based on that rubric, they really don't cover that much material in a year do they.  We certainly had algebra and trig-based geometry in Middle School- after walking uphill both ways in the snow of course!  Seems Mommy/Daddy boot camp will be extended beyond the Summer break!

We have been using IXL as a supplement and really they are doing the year AHEAD of the grade level on IXL.  That is my son is in second grade and he is doing 3rd grade math.  My daughters have leveled out of where IXL is helpful.  We have enrolled them in courses through the CTY program at Johns Hopkins which has been going quite well.  And on math, I had calculus in 12th grade, but in retrospect I wasn't really ready for it developmentally.  I did fine, and I got a 4 on the AP test, but I didn't understand it the way I should have.  So some of it is frontal lobe development and ability to process abstract thought.  Anyhow, I am less fussed about when kids learn concepts and more interested in how well the concepts are understood.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

So the best app we have used is IXL.  It is more traditional but really, really works.  

Looks really good.... yeah I think it's hard to find a very fun way so this should work really good. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Frog Fractions and Study Pug were new to my knowledge but going through them was interesting. I knew about IXL, one of the best interactive learning for all of the main subjects. But my personal favorite is the Mathigon app which I came across while writing my paper for me and my pal. It provides highly creative learning, focusing only on Math, and is really very engaging. Another one is Khan Academy, which I have not personally used, but I guess is great because that's what the reviews say. What do you all say?

Archived