NFL - 2022 Draft and Onward

Maithanet

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

That’s debatable. The Bengals had their choice between the two, and went with Daxton Hill (a former 5 star recruit) over Cine. Hill is definitely more versatile. He played quite a bit of nickel (over 900 snaps from the slot) along with free safety at Michigan. I know Georgia moved Cine around a bit as well, but not as much as Hill. 

Hill was also more productive (twice as many TFL, twice as many INT’s, more PD, etc). Both are burners so speed is pretty much a wash, and both have a high RAS, but I do like that Hill is a year younger.

We'll have to wait and see. Being able to play nickel isn't that important in the pros since teams are moving towards running nickel as their base D. Given that, I like that Cine is bigger and viewed as the more physical player while still having top end speed for the position. He has more hybrid potential and that's where the league is moving towards.

44 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Hard to believe 5 UGA defenders went in the first round and Dean wasn’t one of them. Can’t go wrong at this point with him or Willis at that spot. 

Yeah, I heard a lot of analysts say they thought Dean was actually the best player eligible on UGA's D and were projecting him to go in the middle of the first. And many also thought Willis was the best QB to take a chance on. Hopefully we get one of the two, but knowing the Vikings, they'll draft a kicker instead.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll have to wait and see. Being able to play nickel isn't that important in the pros since teams are moving towards running nickel as their base D. Given that, I like that Cine is bigger and viewed as the more physical player while still having top end speed for the position. He has more hybrid potential and that's where the league is moving towards.

I haven't slept much this week so maybe I am reading this wrong, but aren't you contradicting yourself? If nickel is now base D, doesn't that make it more important since it's the base?

I'm really surprised there wasn't a team or two trading for one of the last first rounders to take a qb.  Having that 5th year option matters more for quarterbacks than it does most positions.  It says to me that teams might not rate any of the other guys in the early second round either, because I've heard some teams say they'd rather take a quarterback 32nd than 34th, because even though it costs a (tiny) bit of draft capital the potential payoff is significant. 

39 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I haven't slept much this week so maybe I am reading this wrong, but aren't you contradicting yourself? If nickel is now base D, doesn't that make it more important since it's the base?

Only if your base D is comfortable switching to single high coverage while still operating a traditional 3-4 or 4-3. Your standard base nickel runs two LBs, not three, though personally I am a big fan of running heavy nickel with either a 3-3-5 or a 3-2-6 with three safeties. 

I was very happy with the Jets draft.   Towards the end I kept yelling at the screen asking why they did not trade up to get Johnson.  I was in my basement, screaming at the screen.  I wonder why he dropped so much.  But it was definitely worth moving up for.  

Speaking of safeties, Jalen Pitre is definitely my favorite player still available.  Still a pipe dream the Niners could get him, but the dream is alive!  I like him better than Cine (didn't really pay attention to Hill as he seemed more of a lock to go in the first/earlier).

8 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I wonder why he dropped so much.  But it was definitely worth moving up for.  

Yeah getting Johnson at 26 was great value.

Baltimore had the best draft of the night. Picked up lots of picks, ditched a guy they wouldn't have paid anyway, and shored up the gaping wound that was the Center position. Lost them that playoff game a couple of years back to the Bills.

Eta: There must always be a safety in Baltimore

43 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

Baltimore had the best draft of the night. Picked up lots of picks, ditched a guy they wouldn't have paid anyway, and shored up the gaping wound that was the Center position. Lost them that playoff game a couple of years back to the Bills.

Eta: There must always be a safety in Baltimore

I thought the Giants had the best draft by sheer virtue of them just taking the two best players available and not shitting their pants in the process.

Also, the Browns’ trade for Cooper looks borderline brilliant in hindsight with all these WRs being traded for huge returns. 

The Giants didn't have the best draft, every player they picked sucks. Y'know how I know? They went to NY. I never learned any of their names and I never will. That's the last waste I suffer in that clownshoe company's description.

I read somewhere that the Jets had the highest projected win increase ever for a 1st round not involving a QB.  Part of that probably has to do because of how bad the players they are replacing were.  It said they are now projected to win 2.5 more games.  

I am really looking forward to a 4 win season this year.

I will take back everything I've said if Ballard finds a way to get Malik Willis on this roster. Please don't take like the 11th receiver when you can have the 2nd or 3rd qb. I just can't take it anymore 

2 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

The Giants didn't have the best draft, every player they picked sucks. Y'know how I know? They went to NY. I never learned any of their names and I never will. That's the last waste I suffer in that clownshoe company's description.

They picked a DE who was in talks to be #1 overall pick all year. They picked a tackle that was considered the best tackle. Their biggest needs, DE and RT.

I don't want the Giants to have a good draft, but they did, on paper anyway.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

They picked a DE who was in talks to be #1 overall pick all year. They picked a tackle that was considered the best tackle. Their biggest needs, DE and RT.

I don't want the Giants to have a good draft, but they did, on paper anyway.

Football games aren't won on paper or draft value charts or advanced analytics. They're won by not being a NY team 

16 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

I will take back everything I've said if Ballard finds a way to get Malik Willis on this roster. Please don't take like the 11th receiver when you can have the 2nd or 3rd qb. I just can't take it anymore 

Hey guurl, ready to pony up and overpay for the 34th pick?

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Bit of a reach to replace Collins. That story about his legs is crazy. 

He was drafted to (hopefully) replace Tyron Smith at LT, not RT. Terence Steele is slated to replace Collins for the time being. He held the job for a good portion of the season while Collins was suspended. Even after Collins came back, Steele still started for several weeks because of how good he had played. That's the reason they were so willing to part with Collins. He is a pain in the ass who actually tried to BRIBE a test collector before he got suspended!  https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32280659/sources-dallas-cowboys-lael-collins-attempted-bribe-nfl-drug-test-collector

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

Boom or bust. He looks like a mauler, angry physical player. But he had the same issue as Williams, too many penalties. I can't argue taking him because it's a big need but man, Lloyd and Parsons would have been a sexy LB duo.

I feel a tad better about it today as the word is that they will have him at LG for the time being while he works out his feet issues. The reviews Kiper gave last night on him were him at LT. I still would have preferred they take the center from Iowa who went one spot after him. He seems like a sure thing at center or guard.

28 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I still would have preferred they take the center from Iowa who went one spot after him. He seems like a sure thing at center or guard.

Linderbaum is a pure center. Along with his lack of size and arm length - that’s one of the reasons he wasn’t more highly valued. I also think he’s far from a sure thing. He has great athleticism, and will be an asset in the run game, but whether or not he can pass block at the NFL level is the big question. 

5 hours ago, grozeng said:

I read somewhere that the Jets had the highest projected win increase ever for a 1st round not involving a QB.  Part of that probably has to do because of how bad the players they are replacing were.  It said they are now projected to win 2.5 more games.  

I am really looking forward to a 4 win season this year.

And they just added the #1 RB in the draft

Archived