NFL - 2022 Draft and Onward

Maithanet

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Guardians top 10 football analysts:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/27/bomani-jones-to-mina-kimes-ranking-the-nfls-best-analysts

Bomani, Mina and Foxworth at the top is the only correct answer.

I was confused for a second and thought Guardians were the Washington Football Team… took me a minute to remember they were the generic replacement name for the Cleveland Baseball Team.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I was confused for a second and thought Guardians were the Washington Football Team… took me a minute to remember they were the generic replacement name for the Cleveland Baseball Team.

That name screwed me up to, watching the score scrawl across the screen and I thought the Guardians? Must be a soccer score. Then I was like oh yeah Cleveland...

As to the topic I have really like Jones and Kimes for a few years, a lot due to Highly Questionable, still miss that show.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

As to the topic I have really like Jones and Kimes for a few years, a lot due to Highly Questionable, still miss that show.

Same, but Le Batard's content has vastly improved since leaving ESPN. Funny that five of the ten people on that list kinda blew up by being regulars on the show. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Same, but Le Batard's content has vastly improved since leaving ESPN. Funny that five of the ten people on that list kinda blew up by being regulars on the show. 

Yeah I was trying to place some of the others but wasn't certain that was where I knew them from.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Yeah I was trying to place some of the others but wasn't certain that was where I knew them from.

Listen to Bomani's Friday episodes of his podcast. Foxworth cohosts it with him and it's probably the single best thing ESPN does right now. I'd also recommend from that list David Samson's podcast, Nothing Personal. Dude is a legit sociopath, but he acknowledges it while taking you behind the scenes of the cutthroat world of the business of sports. He was the Marlins president for 18 years and is basically the only insider I've heard spill all the beans because he has no interest in running a team again. It's very eye opening.

A classic example of why poorly run organizations stay being awful:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34309612/arizona-cardinals-remove-independent-study-clause-quarterback-kyler-murray-contract

Everything about this story has been dumb and insulting.

19 minutes ago, briantw said:

Biggest winner is Kyler.  Now he can go back to not watching tape and playing Call of Duty.  :lol:

Not really. Now whenever he makes a mistake, i.e. not reading the defense and shifting the line, people will ask if he wasn't studying enough.

I wonder if the NFL needs to consider capping what QBs can earn on their second contracts. This shit is getting out of hand and I would be really nervous giving dudes that young that much money.

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Now whenever he makes a mistake, i.e. not reading the defense and shifting the line, people will ask if he wasn't studying enough.

I wonder if the NFL needs to consider capping what QBs can earn on their second contracts. This shit is getting out of hand and I would be really nervous giving dudes that young that much money.

And more and more of it is guaranteed. It will keep going until there is a course correction. Hell the WR $$ is crazy now too, imagine what the next batch is going to get! A certain WR in purple is gonna get paid.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

And more and more of it is guaranteed. It will keep going until there is a course correction. Hell the WR $$ is crazy now too, imagine what the next batch is going to get! A certain WR in purple is gonna get paid.

Yeah, I'm worried JJ is going to get a good bit more than Hill next offseason if he maintains his current production. I don't even want to know what he'll get if he takes another step. And then Chase is up next in two years and he may get close to $40m AAV. 

The only saving grace is the cap is projected to jump up a lot each year for the foreseeable future and Disney, Amazon and Apple have all the money in the world to throw at the league. I'm curious if one of them just tries to outright buy the NFL. 

I hate it. Too much money, too little team. The players should make $12.95 per snap, minus expenses for bus (yes, bus) rides and Red Roof Motel rooms. Ham sandwich on white bread with a single slice of cheese can be absorbed by the team. One sandwich per away game.

A 6 game suspension is a joke. A 10 game suspension would have been a light sentence, I was definitely hoping he'd get a year at least.  In some ways the Browns forced the matter by giving him such an outrageous contract.  It indicated that the NFL ownership (or at least enough of them to get in a bidding war) didn't care about Watson's crimes. 

Archived