NFL - 2022 Draft and Onward

Maithanet

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also worth remembering Vick was suspended indefinitely for fighting dogs. What a joke.

Vick should have been banned for life.  Killing your own dogs and laughing about it is at least as sociopathic as demanding every massage therapist you've ever been to also provide some sex.  

One of my redneck buddies just made a joke on Facebook that his fantasy team is saved. 

Cash rules everything. This predator will continue his actions unabated, everyone will continue to get rich, and more victims will have traumatic interactions with this scumbag. What a farce. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, so the ruling is based off of four accusations, not 25. Of course…

The NFL only presented four of the cases before the arbiter.  Well, five technically, but one was thrown out.

Twenty of the women settled with Watson prior to the hearing, though, and likely part of that settlement was refusing to cooperate with the NFL investigation.  

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Vick should have been banned for life.  Killing your own dogs and laughing about it is at least as sociopathic as demanding every massage therapist you've ever been to also provide some sex.  

Disagree. Vick is an example of the justice system actually working towards a positive outcome. He did his time, showed remorse and afterwards dedicated his own time and money to speaking to kids about why what he did was wrong. Whereas Watson still has shown zero remorse or contrition while avoiding jail time because the justice system doesn't handle these cases well. Shit even this judge doesn't seem to know what sexual violence is.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The NFL only presented four of the cases before the arbiter.  Well, five technically, but one was thrown out.

Twenty of the women settled with Watson prior to the hearing, though, and likely part of that settlement was refusing to cooperate with the NFL investigation.  

Which is fucked up, no? Why did they only present 1/6 of the cases? That's not an accident.

And many women refused to cooperate with good reason. Some of the ones that did have come forward and compared the NFL's line of questioning to slut shaming while saying the Dallas police made them feel way more comfortable. Given how bad cops can be with these cases makes you wonder just how shit the NFL was...

Unbelievably tone deaf statement. 

Hard to believe this is what they settled on. We know people are “triggered” - seriously? And claiming he feels remorse? The judge literally said he showed none throughout the entire process. 

So fucking gross. All of it. 

Dolphins fined a 1st and 3rd round pick for tampering and kinda-sorta tanking.  The NFL statement is that the Dolphins were never tanking (can't admit that!) but they did make some statements that indicate they were tampering, and thus need to be penalized.  Got it? 

Regardless, a 1st and 3rd is a pretty harsh penalty. 

Pretty sickened but not shocked by the 6 game suspension. More than anything else (except Watson of course) I say fuck the Browns. They knew exactly what they were getting into and did it anyway. Then they structure his deal so it cost him basically the league minimum for games missed. I was rooting for the Browns going into last season now I hope they lose every game until Watson and the Haslams are gone and I hope like hell Mayfield turns into a pro bowl player and has a solid rest of his career.

Miami tampering case must have been pretty strong based on the language Goodell used in his statement. Flores gets some vindication in this but likely not enough.

The Ross family are big U of M supporters, maybe he can sell his team and focus on getting Michigan more NIL money since he likes tampering?!!!

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

and I hope like hell Mayfield turns into a pro bowl player and has a solid rest of his career.

Feel like there's a good opportunity for a Progressive commercial where Baker moves... but that only works if he wins the starting job.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Feel like there's a good opportunity for a Progressive commercial where Baker moves... but that only works if he wins the starting job.

Shiiiit... the commercial is Baker and his wife standing outside the burned down remnants of Browns stadium with Flo from Progressive talking about how he is covered since he bundled his "home" and career insurance and the cut away is him smiling while kicking an empty gas can to the side while Eminem sings about holding matches and still not being found out...

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

Then they structure his deal so it cost him basically the league minimum for games missed.

Wait what, I mean wtf?

That's a little detail I'm sure they hope people do not notice.

If the contract is properly backloaded those 6 games ain't costing Watson barely shit.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wait what, I mean wtf?

That's a little detail I'm sure they hope people do not notice.

If the contract is properly backloaded those 6 games ain't costing Watson barely shit.

That little detail is also nonsense, as the Browns structure literally every contract that way.  Look at every big deal Andrew Berry has given out since he became GM in 2020 and you’ll notice that every single one has a year one base salary of one to two million.

Here are the players he has done it with off the top of my head: Garrett, Chubb, Bitonio, Ward, Cooper via restructure, Teller, Watson, and Njoku.  And I may have forgotten some. 

I doubt the Browns care whether or not Watson loses money via suspension.  They structure contracts that way because cap space carries over.  There’s a reason why they have the most cap space in the NFL right now and it’s because they structured all their contracts the same as Watson’s. 

Further, if you look around the NFL, this is the same way most other teams now structure big extensions.  It’s designed to maximize your financial flexibility in year one of a huge contract extension. 

Even if you believe that it’s inexcusable to give him a fully guaranteed contract, the richest ever, on the back of him being accused by over 20 women of sexual assault. And they did it for a QB who isn’t elite. That’s how dirty the Browns are.

Funny unrelated side note, Tom Brady is still attached to every time a team has been striped of their first round pick.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

That little detail is also nonsense, as the Browns structure literally every contract that way.  Look at every big deal Andrew Berry has given out since he became GM in 2020 and you’ll notice that every single one has a year one base salary of one to two million.

Here are the players he has done it with off the top of my head: Garrett, Chubb, Bitonio, Ward, Cooper via restructure, Teller, Watson, and Njoku.  And I may have forgotten some. 

I doubt the Browns care whether or not Watson loses money via suspension.  They structure contracts that way because cap space carries over.  There’s a reason why they have the most cap space in the NFL right now and it’s because they structured all their contracts the same as Watson’s. 

Further, if you look around the NFL, this is the same way most other teams now structure big extensions.  It’s designed to maximize your financial flexibility in year one of a huge contract extension. 

Did not know they did this regularly. Not all teams do, some will front load it if they currently have space available.  The Browns may not care but Watson does. If team A was offering him a regularly balanced pay structure vs Cleveland who said hey year one is just 1 million that could very well entice someone to sign there. The fact that they do it regularly does make me feel better, or less sickened though.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even if you believe that it’s inexcusable to give him a fully guaranteed contract, the richest ever, on the back of him being accused by over 20 women of sexual assault. And they did it for a QB who isn’t elite. That’s how dirty the Browns are.

I mean, sure, there are plenty of reasons to be critical of the Browns, but I think evidence shows that they would have given that same sort of contract structure to Watson had he not been accused of anything, as they would have with any QB they signed or traded for.  If Baker had been extended, the contract certainly would have looked similar (albeit probably for a lot less money).  The same is true if they had been able to trade for Russ like they tried to, or if Rodgers had become available and they had landed him.  That's basically exactly the structure of the extension that Rodgers actually got.

Archived