NFL - 2022 Draft and Onward

Maithanet

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Love looks nice too. I wonder if the Seahawks could trade a 2nd, 4th and Lock for him. 

Wait?  He does?  Cause at the half he was 11-22 for 1 TD and 3 picks.

45 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wait?  He does?  Cause at the half he was 11-22 for 1 TD and 3 picks.

First two drives were excellent. It was odd to see him decline as the game went on. One pick wasn't his fault at all, but the other two were. Also the Packers don't appear to have any depth on offense.

Still, I saw enough that would lead me to trade for him if the price was right. I think the above for Seattle makes sense.

31 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeesh.  Hindsight 20/20, but between Wilson and Fields looks like the Niners lucked out with Lance.  And I preferred Wilson or Fields at the time.

I still think it comes down to the system. Wilson never impressed me, but Fields could look the same as Lance if not better. Both are perfect fits because they make the running game that much more dynamic while also opening up the deep threat in a way Jimmy can't. If Lance can just be above average in the short to midrange passing game, the Niners are going to be a top five team in the NFC (and keep an eye on Stafford's arm, that's huge!).

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

First two drives were excellent. It was odd to see him decline as the game went on. One pick wasn't his fault at all, but the other two were. Also the Packers don't appear to have any depth on offense.

Still, I saw enough that would lead me to trade for him if the price was right. I think the above for Seattle makes sense.

I still think it comes down to the system. Wilson never impressed me, but Fields could look the same as Lance if not better. Both are perfect fits because they make the running game that much more dynamic while also opening up the deep threat in a way Jimmy can't. If Lance can just be above average in the short to midrange passing game, the Niners are going to be a top five team in the NFC (and keep an eye on Stafford's arm, that's huge!).

QB with elbow arthritis? He's done. Glad he got a ring. Great talent destroyed by putrid team. The twist is that he walks away having been a winner. 

Jim Caldwell was the best coach Stafford had in Detroit by a country mile, and they fired him for the crime of competence. Consider that.

7 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

QB with elbow arthritis? He's done.

Idk if he's done, he played through it last year, but I'm surprised it's not a bigger story. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

All I know is that Browns and Jets are about to get into a bidding war for Jimmy G.

Idk why your clan keeps thinking this. There's literally no incentive to trade for him. He's not even the best option if a team decides they need to make an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk why your clan keeps thinking this. There's literally no incentive to trade for him. He's not even the best option if a team decides they need to make an upgrade.

Because:

1. The Browns' beat writer - presumably not part of the Niners' "clan" - just reported the Browns would be interested if Watson's suspension is significantly lengthened.
  2. He is clearly the best option.  Indeed, he's basically the only option available if a team that wants to compete needs a starting-caliber quarterback.
  3. There's obvious precedence for this - some dumbass team traded a first round pick for Sam Bradford six years ago.
  4. It looks like Wilson's injury isn't gonna be too serious.  Even if it was, the Jets don't make much sense for Garoppolo other than their coaching staff.  Still, crazier things have happened, and if two teams were interested in acquiring him obviously the Niners would have leverage.
  5. It's not a given the Niners are going to release him, and any GM would be stupid to rely on them doing so.  Would I rather they simply release him at this point and sign JC Tretter - as well as a couple other remaining free agents?  Yep.  But ShanaLynch demonstrably overvalue him, and obviously the Niners are still under the cap.  It's clear they made a mistake in holding out for better offers before his (very conveniently timed) shoulder surgery, so it's quite possible they hold onto him during the season.  After all, the trade deadline isn't until November and quarterbacks are bound to get injured by Week 8.

Also, to be clear, no one here is saying the Niners are going to get the Browns' 2-5th round picks - nor even just their 2nd rounder (which presumably would be off the table anyway because they don't have a 1st).  Scouring readers' comments of a linked article to insinuate otherwise is a new low in pathetically feeble strawmanning.  Still, that does not mean it isn't significantly possible a team trades for him before the season starts.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:27 AM, Rhom said:

All I know is that Browns and Jets are about to get into a bidding war for Jimmy G.

Why would the Jets trade for Jimmy G? They are no where near a win now team and all he could do is cost them a draft pick and get them a worse draft position in a year where there may be a few legit QB's to pick from. It would make zero sense for the Jets, so they probably will do it! 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Why would the Jets trade for Jimmy G? They are no where near a win now team and all he could do is cost them a draft pick and get them a worse draft position in a year where there may be a few legit QB's to pick from. It would make zero sense for the Jets, so they probably will do it! 

It also sounds like Wilson's injury wasn't all that serious, and he's only expected to miss around a month.  Not sure why they'd take on that salary to cover maybe two weeks of Wilson being out.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I agree the Jets make no sense, but y'all realize the team trading for him doesn't necessarily have to take on his whole salary, right?

But why spend draft capital on a one season rental when you are not anywhere near a contender? Hell they aren't even contenders for 2nd place in their own division.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

But why spend draft capital on a one season rental when you are not anywhere near a contender? Hell they aren't even contenders for 2nd place in their own division.

And that's the Niner's problem, there isn't a good reason for any team without a QB to trade for him, especially if it looks like he'll get cut soon. They should just keep him as protection in case Lance gets hurt while cynically hoping a contender's QB goes down during the season or there's a Bridgewater situation which was rather unique (possible career ending injury and a back up QB with no business being in the league).

Unrelated, Mike Schur reminds us it could always be worse:

49 minutes ago, dbunting said:

But why spend draft capital on a one season rental when you are not anywhere near a contender?

Again, I agree the Jets make no sense.  A team that wants to compete this year and loses their starter, a la the Browns without Watson, different story.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that's the Niner's problem, there isn't a good reason for any team without a QB to trade for him, especially if it looks like he'll get cut soon. They should just keep him as protection in case Lance gets hurt while cynically hoping a contender's QB goes down during the season or there's a Bridgewater situation which was rather unique (possible career ending injury and a back up QB with no business being in the league).

Unrelated, Mike Schur reminds us it could always be worse:

The issue with keeping him is that's all cap they can't rollover.  This is the complete opposite of the Baker situation where the Browns had zero incentive to cut him because his contract was fully guaranteed.  The Niners essentially have to cut him before week one to roll that cap over into next year, and as a wannabe contender in a pretty weak, top-heavy NFC, they're going to need that money.

Archived