NFL - 2022 Draft and Onward

Maithanet

On 8/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, James Arryn said:

2) Regardless, I think this entire discussion, both sides, supports my claim of bullshit for the reasons I called bullshit re: Watson’s suspension. The reasons given are not determinative, we all agree. We disagree about why those reasons have/would not be sufficient to temper league treatment of other players. 

I know this is a very delayed reaction but forgot about this and must've missed it until now.  No, that wasn't my objection at all, nor were those the reasons I was arguing at all. 

My point was simply that ShanaLynch, upon taking over, had every reason to move on from Kaep for "football reasons" - and no one has offered any type of argument otherwise.  Moreover, I think it's absurd and entirely non-empirical to cast aspersions on the Niners FO in this case because they were totally fine with Kaep and Reid and others on the team leading the charge that season.  And again, they picked up Reid's option afterwards.  Even Chip Kelly publicly and by all accounts privately had his back.

Basically, you're telling me to believe you instead of my lying eyes. 

As for Kaep "not being healthy" vis-a-vis Garoppolo, my point was how they performed when they played.  Was Kaep dealing with injuries the last two years he was with the Niners?  Sure, so was Garoppolo his entire Niners career..hell so are most quarterbacks most of the time.  And Kaep had a 43.7 QBR in 2015 and 49.2 in 2016, which objectively sucks.

And now Jimmy G has agreed to a restructured deal to keep him in SF as Lance's backup this season...

I have so many questions.  Is this a condemnation of Trey?  Just an acknowledgement that Jimmy has real value as a back up?  Proof that Shanalynch overplayed their hand early in the trade discussions?

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And now Jimmy G has agreed to a restructured deal to keep him in SF as Lance's backup this season...

I have so many questions.  Is this a condemnation of Trey?  Just an acknowledgement that Jimmy has real value as a back up?  Proof that Shanalynch overplayed their hand early in the trade discussions?

I wouldn't overthink it. Neither side had many options and honestly this is probably best for all parties involved except Lance. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I think it's mostly the third, coupled with their very stupid over-worrying that he was gonna go to Seattle.  The Niners clearly overvalued him early in the offseason, allowing Garoppolo to back them into a corner with the timing of his surgery announcement.  Based on that, something like this was always a distinct possibility - which btw I said a few weeks ago and got laughed at.  Oh well, good news is they now have $22 million in cap space (albeit Garoppolo can make an additional $9 million in incentives).  And, if this is true (only seen it reported on NN), they'll get a third round comp pick if he leaves in the offseason.  Which..is pretty close to what he should've been traded for in the first place.

The big winner in this is Garoppolo.  This is almost certainly better than any deal he was gonna get on the open market, he got the no-trade clause so if the Niners are still looking to move him during the season (which I think they will and he'll be fine with them putting him on the block), he's got a veto.  And hell, apparently not playing as a backup for a year really boosts your value.  Just ask Mitch Trubisky.

I don't think this is a condemnation of Lance.  He looked pretty good in preseason other than the last game where he was running for his life.  Garoppolo woulda been even more fucked with that line.  (Of course, if they had traded or released him months ago they could have reinvested that money into the interior OL, but I digress.)  It does put more pressure on Lance of course, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at all.

55 minutes ago, briantw said:

Which they only had to do because Zeke's contract is awful.

Your team not only signed a serial sexual assaulter to a record setting contract, but the owner then made a ridiculously statement about his age and his football skill to somehow…. I don’t know. I don’t know what that fucking idiot was trying to do. Fuck the Browns. Fuck the Saints. Fuck the Panthers. Fuck the Falcons. I’m pretty close to saying fuck the NFL over this. Why are you still even posting about your garbage team?

eta: He’s likely to move on to other sexual assaults. No consequences and no contrition. Awesome face of the franchise you’ve got there. 

Archived