Clic, clic, clic: A Rain Of Needles Part II - The things I do for Love

northern_amnesia

Hi everyone! This is the second part of a theory that tries to explain that Ned's dream is something like a "treasure map" that consists of 4 riddles that we have to guess to understand what the dream is really about and most important, what’s the meaning of “The Song of Ice & Fire”.

As I said in the previous part, for each place that Ned mentions, there is a riddle that is solved using different tools: a song, a couple of the NW vows, two of the shadows that accompany Ned to the Tower and a clue that we can find in Waymar’s death scene.

Which sound is it that unmans you so?

To solve the first riddle, the one about the Trident, we are going to use Bael’s song, in which "someone" tells the bard that Lord Stark had accused him of being a coward and that unleashes the tragedy that follows.

Before solving the riddle, however, we need to consider one particularity of that song, which is extremely misleading.

Bael's song, under the guise of a love story, actually hides five stories.

That's the song's first trick, hiding in plain sight in the singer's name. The name 'BAEL' is made up of the names of four people who symbolize something in each part of the song, and includes the name of the singer himself "Bael" because this is his song, this is his version.

This peculiarity ties him with the main character of the second song that matters to us, "The Dornishman's Wife" because we know that Bael dies facing the consequence of his actions, (his son). In the Dornish song the singer is killed by the husband, so again he dies facing the consequences of sleeping with a married woman. Finally, the legend of the Night’s King is the story where the other two songs come together, and tells the consequences of having declared himself king, after stealing a woman.

He was listening to something else

The bard 'hears' that the Lord called him a "a craven that prayed only on the weak" and decides to go to Winterfell to teach him a lesson.

Bael's plan, which proves successful, is to arrive at Winterfell under an assumed name and spend the night singing for the Lord. The problem comes with the reward, when the lord tells him to name his reward, the bard asks for “the fairest flower that blooms” in Winterfell.

From Bael's point of view, the fact that the lord offers him a reward proves that he deceived him, but from the Lord's point of view, that Bael accepts the reward is proof that the bard is exactly what he thought, because Bael didn't go to Winterfell to prove he was a deceiver, he went to prove he was brave.

Bael is a craven because he has to hide behind a false identity to go to Winterfell, "Sygerrik", and he is also, as he is proving with his actions, a craven that allows a rose to be cut, a rose that is "rare and precious", to sustain his deception.

Sygerrik’s arrival to Winterfell is actually the arrival of the direwolves, or rather, Ghost’s arrival. In the prologue, one of Waymar's brothers, Gared, tells Royce about the effects of the cold because he experienced it himself:

"I've had the cold in me too, lordling." Gared pulled back his hood, giving Ser Waymar a good long look at the stumps where his ears had been. "Two ears, three toes, and the little finger off my left hand. I got off light. We found my brother frozen at his watch, with a smile on his face."

For now, we are only interested in the "two ears" because that’s the first clue that there’s something strange about the way Ghost appears. Only Jon seems to listen his whimpering and yet he never makes a sound, he is the only one of the 6 wolves that never ‘sings’.

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.” Bran I

Jon hears Ghost's "call" when no one else hears it, but the thing doesn't end there, in fact, the thing had started the moment Jon convinced Ned that those wolves "were meant for his children" just like Bael convinced the Lord that he was a great singer who deserved a great reward, and this is essential in this story.

When Jon tells him that, Ned asks if he didn't want one of the pups for himself, to which Jon, as we know, basically tells him that he doesn't deserve it because he's not a Stark. That's the rose from the song that “blooms” at Winterfell, not Jon the bastards.

Bael 'sings' the song but it’s the lord who writes it, because the boy grows up to become the next Lord and whoever wins, writes the story as he wants.

This story is not really about Jon, he is the consequence of another story.

Bael's story continues with the disappearance of the maiden and the search made by both the Starks and the NW, to try to find the Lord's daughter and the criminal who took her and that leads us directly to the Trident and our first riddle.

I looked for you on the Trident

At the trident, on the way to KL and before Arya and Joffrey fight, Sansa meets a series of knights and plays a little game where they give her clues, and she must guess their identity. That's what we're doing with Ned's dream, naming people, guessing their identity.

Let's see our first riddle:

I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

We need to “look” for something to guess our first riddle. These are our clues:

• · Waymar’s right blue eye that “burns blue”

• · The hilt of Arthur’s sword

• · The “proud father” Cassel, the “faithful” Wull

• · Two vows: sword in the darkness – light that brings the dawn

• · A sphinx made up by Arthur Dayne, Brandon Stark y Waymar Royce

What we're looking for are things (more than one because Gerold says we) that Ned looked for in the Trident, and weren't there. In the dream, Oswell is sharpening a sword and he is the one who speaks of a "usurper". One of the vows that we have as a clue is precisely a sword.

Gerold says "we were not there". On the Trident, Ned loses two things, Arya and Nymeria.

We also know that Lady, Sansa's wolf dies instead of Nymeria, who’s never found. Interestingly, Dayne doesn't reply, so clearly, we're looking for a sword. But let's also note that our other clue, Waymar's right eye “burns blue”.

The Sword in the darkness

Bael’s song tells the story of a maiden and her lover hiding in the crypt of Winterfell, and in the crypt, there are only two things: statues and swords.

We can clearly see that in Jon's nightmares:

"Do you ever find anyone in your dream?" Sam asked.

Jon shook his head. "No one. The castle is always empty." (…) "Even the ravens are gone from the rookery, and the stables are full of bones. That always scares me. I start to run then, throwing open doors, climbing the tower three steps at a time, screaming for someone, for anyone**.** And then I find myself in front of the door to the crypts. It's black inside, and I can see the steps spiraling down. Somehow, I know I have to go down there, but I don't want to. I'm afraid of what might be waiting for me. The old Kings of Winter are down there, sitting on their thrones with stone wolves at their feet and iron swords across their laps, but it's not them I'm afraid of. I scream that I'm not a Stark, that this isn't my place, but it's no good, I have to go anyway, so I start down, feeling the walls as I descend, with no torch to light the way. It gets darker and darker, until I want to scream.

In the nightmare, Jon walks through the empty castle as if he were the Lord Brandon of the song in search of his only daughter, of course the first visit is to ‘the ravens’ (the NW) who can't find her, then the stables, that scares him because as we know, Bael “was a great rider”, then he climbs the tower to shout for the maiden (someone) or for the bard (anyone), and then he arrives at the crypt, where what he says is tremendously suggestive “I find myself”.

The dream becomes more and more overwhelming, and Jon feels that he needs a "torch to light the way", which of course he finds, during his fight with Othor. Now let's see Jon finding his “torch to light the way”.

The sword, where was the sword? He'd lost the damned sword! When he opened his mouth to scream, the wight jammed its black corpse fingers into Jon's mouth. (…) Frost covered its eyes, sparkling blue. (…) He watched as the direwolf buried his teeth in the wight's gut and began to rip and tear. He watched, only half conscious, for a long moment before he finally remembered to look for his sword …

and saw Lord Mormont, naked and groggy from sleep, standing in the doorway with an oil lamp in hand.

The moment that Jon 'remembers' that he needs to 'look for his sword', he sees Mormont with a 'lamp' in hand. That's Jon's “light that brings the dawn”.

In fact the NW brothers call the comet that is being seen when they go out in the ranging "Mormont's Torch". But of course, that's not the only thing Jon sees when he's semi-conscious.

In the dream, Arthur has a "sad smile", so of course you can see his teeth, which in the duel is Ghost biting the wight. The interesting thing is that Jon is “half conscious”.

Jon leaves WF because he feels that there is no place for him (the empty castle of his nightmares), he arrives at the NW where he realizes that this place is not what he thought (the ravens are gone), he spends time with the wildlings (the stables full of bones), then comes the shout to "someone" (Stannis' offer) and then to "anyone" (the pink letter), and of course Jon finds himself in front of the door to the crypts.

In fact, when he is killed, he thinks of Ghost, Needle (“stick them with the pointy end”) and he feels cold, as if he was going straight to see the “Old Kings of Winter”.

During all this time, since the fight with Othor, Jon never saw that what he was looking for was hanging on his back like is hanging in Arthur’s in this dream, because Longclaw is Ice, at least part of ICE, the "bastard part".

The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him. Even now, Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true.

Jon's dream is, and always was, as he acknowledges much later, Winterfell, is what he always wanted, and when he falls in the fight, he sees Mormont "groggy from sleep" standing in the doorway.

Jon calls his nightmares "the Winterfell dream" what he is seeing is that nightmare ‘transforming’ before his eyes, because Mormont is bringing him the lamp to find himself the crypt, to find his name.

He already had the direwolf, Mormont gives him the light to find himself, and then he receives the sword. Jon walks out of the Wall a Stark, whether he knows it or not, and oddly enough, a Stark who appears completely invisible to "The Others," which clearly indicates that there is something special about Jon, that we’ll find out at the end of Ned’s dream.

“Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true.”

Bael goes to Winterfell to prove that he is brave, but he doesn't, what he proves as I said is that he is a craven, and he proves that by singing. Jon has 2 irrefutable proofs that he is a Stark, Ghost (true) and Longclaw (strong), neither of them 'sings' because Jon never used either of them to prove anything, and that proves that he is brave.

Clearly, ICE was reforged and divided in two swords, the one Jon has, 'the bastard', is his father's sword, and from the crypt, the other sword yells at him "this isn't my place".

Of course, that sword's place is "singing" with Jon, not hidden in the darkness of the crypt. That is the sword that Jon dreams of, the one that is surely called "Winter Rose"

"She was a Stark of Winterfell," Ned said quietly. "This is her place."

Jon screams in his nightmares that he isn’t a Stark because "being" a Stark implies being born in the male line. That shows Bael's song, the boy is not a Stark while he is Bael's son, until the Lord makes him a Stark.

Lyanna, wasn’t technically a Stark because she was clearly married. But Jon's dream was to prove that he was a 'true' Stark and the proof was ICE.

When Jon had been Bran's age, he had dreamed of doing great deeds, as boys always did. The details of his feats changed with every dreaming, but quite often he imagined saving his father's life. Afterward Lord Eddard would declare that Jon had proved himself a true Stark, and place Ice in his hand.

Jon burns his hand when fighting Othor and as a result, he has to put “ice in his hand” to calm the tremendous pain he feels. That’s his proof right there.

He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister’s eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing.

The voice is part of the next riddle, for now let's focus on the eyes because once Ned sees how “the fear had gone” he notices the way she smiles, which is the same thing he notices in Arthur, his smile. Next is “how tightly her fingers had clutched” which obviously leads to the other clue Arthur gives us, the hilt of his sword.

One of the shadows that help us with this riddle is the "proud father" Martyn Cassel, his son, like Lyanna, dies in Ned's arms when he is attacked by Jaime Lannister, who is part of our second riddle, the one that helps us to identify Jon's father. But that clearly indicates the link between Jon's sword and his "proud father", because as I said, Jon's dream was that his father would give him a sword to show that he was proud of him.

The second shadow is the "faithful" Theo Wull. Once Lyanna dies and spills the "dead and black" petals, Ned's amnesia begins. Clear reference to the NW vows, in which the "faithful" brothers must forget their past and start a new life.

The Wulls are part of the mountain clans, and they have a particularity that makes them unique in the north, while in Winterfell they are called "Lord" as Bran recalls "their own folk don't". This detail is fundamental, because like Bael, Jon has two names, the one he was given when he was born, and the one Ned gave him after he “could recall none of it”.

Of course, the sword that Ned uses is Dawn, the sword that like Nymeria was 'lost' in the Trident and was never returned as Cat believes, which also explains Lyanna's disappearance, as we’ll see in the next part.

Regarding "Ice" that is the sword of the LH legend, that is the sword that 'freezes' when the hero tries to use it, and it’s the one that according to the story told by Nan, "shatters" because as I said, it was divided in two parts, it "bloomed" at Winterfell. That's the clue that Will gives us in the prologue when he sees Waymar die:

Will knelt, looked around warily, and snatched it up. The broken sword would be his proof. Gared would know what to make of it, and if not him, then surely that old bear Mormont or Maester Aemon.

Jon's real name is hidden in plain sight, because as the song says, Bael and the maiden were "hiding with the dead", the name is in the crypt, and it’s the name of one of the Old Kings that Jon has no fear of.

BAEL is made up of four letters, obviously. Three people die in the song: Lord Brandon, the child's mother (Lyanna) and the 'rider' that hides with the maiden. Our maid, (Arya), who of course is not the child's mother, is the one who hides the singer because of their physical resemblance, and this is fundamental in Jon's story.

The name therefore begins with the letter E and knowing that part of our clues have to do with Dorne (Nymeria, Arthur and his smile, and Dawn), our 'bastard' was named Edrick by his mother. As the king "Edrick Snowbeard".

The 'gift of a sword' doesn't make our Edrick a Mormont or a Targaryen, but it does make him a promise. “Promise me, Ned”

The irony is that the other Ned dies looking at a giant statue of Bael, and his feet looking the scene is the maiden Arya, with her "gift of a sword" in hand, which falls along with the bard's head.

Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing.

He was listening to something else

The fall of KL and Ser Jaime doing things for love, place us in our next song, “the Dornishman's wife”, in which the woman has a lover who is killed by her husband. The song compares her sweetness to the 'cold steel' of her husband's sword.

Also, we must take into account something that Ned thinks in the crypt when he goes there with Robert, about how all swords failed Rickard and how he was forced to watch Brandon die.

Beyond the Wall, the NW arrives at the Fist of the First Men where Jon makes a mysterious find in what appears to be a tomb: a NW cloak, a horn that makes no sound when he tries to blow it, and a bunch of weapons made of dragonglass. These findings will be paramount at the end.

Let's keep these finds in mind because they are "weapons" that serve us in our own search, considering the scenarios of Ned's dream and those of Jon's nightmares.

The black cloak corresponds to the first place referenced in Jon's nightmare, (the Trident in Ned's dream). The horn is a reference to the wildlings, who were looking for the "Horn of Winter", the power that would allow them to bring down the wall, (King's Landing in Ned's dream). The dragonglass is a reference to the maiden and the bard, which corresponds to the last scenario of Ned's dream (Storm's End and Dragonstone).

Let's first see the riddle that we must solve and the weapons that we have:

When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

"Far away," Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

These are our clues:

• · Vows: I am the watcher on the walls – the horn that wakes the sleepers

• · Sphinx: Will, Oswell Whent, Lyanna Stark

• · Oswell is on one knee sharpening a blade, while a bat seems about to fly.

• · Waymar’s left eye that’s blind and is pierced by a piece of sword

• · Shadows: Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart.

We are looking for a "false brother" that Ned wonders where he is. Gerold tells him “far away”. But we also have a mention of the "seven hells" and those seven hells don’t refer to a geographical location but to the crime that Jaime commits "kingslaying", which is frowned upon everywhere and by all religions, except Melisandre’s apparently.

But what Ned doesn't consider, of course, is that the crime Jaime commits actually prevents a worse one, at least from Jaime’s perspective, which is the one that Jaime had to witness, seeing Rickard being burn to death. That is the reason why Jaime kills the king, clearly, beyond the fact that he has also saved millions of people, Jaime was forced to choose between his father and the king, and he chose his father.

That's our song, The Dorishman's Wife. Jaime's pure as snow white image was hopelessly ruined the day he was forced to make an impossible choice.

The Lords of Winterfell watched them pass. (…) By ancient custom an iron longsword had been laid across the lap of each who had been Lord of Winterfell, to keep the vengeful spirits in their crypts. The oldest had long ago rusted away to nothing, leaving only a few red stains where the metal had rested on stone. Ned wondered if that meant those ghosts were free to roam the castle now. He hoped not.

Considering that our setting is King's Landing and the mention of Aerys's death, we're looking for Lyanna’s 'false brother', which is not Ned, of course. There are only two possible candidates, Brandon or Benjen.

Our shadows are Brandon's "squire" and the gentle Ryswell, whose coat of arms is a black horse with red eyes, like Ghost's. Clearly our search leads us to the younger brother and to the Night's Watch, to the missing Benjen Stark, the gentlest with Jon by far. We'll get to the red eyes in a bit.

In Bael's story, we are at the time when the maiden and Bael are hiding with the dead, the time when the Stark line is in imminent danger, and while the "Dornishman" is sleeping with the Dornishman's wife.

"They will garb your brother Robb in silks, satins, and velvets of a hundred different colors, while you live and die in black ringmail. He will wed some beautiful princess and father sons on her. You'll have no wife, nor will you ever hold a child of your own blood in your arms. Robb will rule, you will serve. Men will call you a crow. Him they'll call Your Grace. Singers will praise every little thing he does, while your greatest deeds all go unsung. Tell me that none of this troubles you, Jon . . . and I'll name you a liar, and know I have the truth of it." Jon I- ACoK

Now let's talk about our shadows and something that Ned mentions in the dream, how he “wondered” about the false brother.

We learn Benjen's name, in the crypt no less, when Ned wants to tell Robert something Benjen says, but the king interrupts him and we can't tell what it is.

"You must have wondered why I finally came north to Winterfell, after so long."

Ned had his suspicions, but he did not give them voice. "For the joy of my company, surely," he said lightly. "And there is the Wall. You need to see it, Your Grace, to walk along its battlements and talk to those who man it. The Night's Watch is a shadow of what it once was. Benjen says—"

The next time Ned mentions Benjen, he is wondering something:

"My daughter often forgets her courtesies," Eddard Stark said with a faint smile that softened his words. "I beg your forgiveness, Yoren. Did my brother Benjen send you?"

"No one sent me, m'lord, saving old Mormont. I'm here to find men for the Wall, and when Robert next holds court, I'll bend the knee and cry our need, see if the king and his Hand have some scum in the dungeons they'd be well rid of. You might say as Benjen Stark is why we're talking, though. His blood ran black. Made him my brother as much as yours. It's for his sake I'm come. Rode hard, I did, near killed my horse the way I drove her, but I left the others well behind." Arya III

Yoren arrives at King's Landing practically bursting his horse, for "Benjen's sake" to tell Ned about a kidnapping he saw on the Trident (Tyrion's), and the best thing is what he says to Ned, "I'll bend the knee and cry our need” and see if there's some “scum in the dungeons”, which, as we know, is the place from which Ned goes to his execution . This same brother, Yoren, is the one that later takes Arya out of King's Landing by disguising her as a boy.

Let's head back to Jon. In the Fist, Jon meets "Qhorin Halfhand" a ranger who is slow to arrive, like Brandon at his own wedding and who seems to arrive after Jon blows his mute horn, the one that he found on what is seemed to be a tomb.

Jon goes on a mission with the ranger who is missing 3 fingers on his right hand, which was his sword hand (the hand Jon burns) and whose description is what one would expect to find in a direwolf that suddenly comes to life. Additionally, the Halfhand wears clothing so worn that it appears grey. In short, Qhorin appears to be Brandon Stark, and of course, he is. Qhorin tells Mormont that he wants to find out what’s ‘the power’ that Mance needs, what’s the sorcery to bring down the Wall, and this happens:

"May the gods forgive me. Choose your men."

Qhorin Halfhand turned his head. His eyes met Jon's, and held them for a long moment. "Very well. I choose Jon Snow."

The power is “listening” to a man’s last words while you look into his eyes, as we’ve known since the beginning.

The one who desperately rides to King's Landing as Yoren, is Benjen, who finds out about the kidnapping and as Yoren, when he is faced with the situation that they are going to execute him, he realizes that his 'need' is something else, as Jamie realized later. If he dies as a hero, there's no one left to go find Lyanna because Brandon lost his sword hand and Ned is ‘far away’.

But in addition, Lyanna’s presence in the Trident, is explained with Benjen’s and Brandon himself, Benjen and Lyanna were together going to where Brandon was. The kidnapping, meanwhile, is explained in Arthur's disappearance, they take Lyanna to force Brandon out of wherever he was, because they knew Arthur was going to look for him, because of what happened to Ashara in Harrenhal, and Brandon killed Arthur and lost his fingers in the process.

So basically, Rhaegar's fall happens "because of a woman" or rather, by two women, Arthur's sister, and Brandon's sister.

In King's Landing and faced with the reality that they are going to execute him, Benjen does the least 'honorable' but the most intelligent thing, he "cry his need" to a brother of the Night’s Watch that 'picks him' from the dungeons.

“The wildling began to scrape the dirt out from beneath his nails with the point of his dagger. "I've sung my songs, fought my battles, drunk summer wine, tasted the Dornishman's wife. A man should die the way he's lived. For me that's steel in hand.” Melisandre I

That explains why Waymar's left eye is "blind" and is pierced by a piece of sword, Rickard dies knowing that his "sword" didn’t fail him, (contrary to what Ned thinks), because he didn’t die, (that's not Brandon), and it wasn't his sword either.

His sword is intact, because he always had two swords, "the bastard sword" the sneaky Benjen, and the wolf that leads them, Brandon.

Nothing burns like the cold. But only for a while. Then it gets inside you and starts to fill you up, and after a while you don't have the strength to fight it."

The sword of the Starks is what I mentioned in the previous part and that Ned dangerously misunderstands, the power they have is family, or rather, the alliances they made.

The fall of Ned's family occurs precisely, contrary to what made Rickard's survive, Ned's children begin to separate and think badly of one another, Arya about Sansa, Bran about Robb, Rickon about everyone, and that it is a very clear reflection of something that we see in their parent's own behaviour. Ned doesn't trust anyone, and when he does, he's invariably wrong. Cat despises everything that is different or ‘inferior’ to her, instead of trying to learn from it, she wants it away, like she wanted Jon away from her sight.

In Lyanna’s rescue, the opposite happens, Benjen doesn’t hesitate to do something that is supposed to be Brandon's job, but he also doesn’t hesitate to do something that he knows Rickard will forgive him for, basically because Rickard no longer has salvation, but Lyanna does.

"Me save her, you mean? The Lord o' Bones?" He laughed. "No one ever trusted Rattleshirt but fools. Snow's not that. If his sister needs saving, he'll send his crows. I would." Melisandre I - ADwD

Benjen arrives at King's Landing, as illustrated by Ryswell's shadow as a horse in heat because that's exactly what he was, like The Mountain’s horse smelling Ser Loras's mare during the Hand’s Tourney.

Does that mean that Benjen is Jon's father? Yes absolutely. But that doesn't mean he's a Stark.

"And did you see where I was seated, Mance?" He leaned forward. "Did you see where they put the bastard?"

Mance Rayder looked at Jon's face for a long moment. "I think we had best find you a new cloak," the king said, holding out his hand.

Benjen's story is the reverse of Jon's. Benjen grew up with the Starks and unlike Jon, he was treated as a Stark down to the name. "Benjen Stark" is a nickname that has to do with the crypt, where there are two kings, "Benjen the Bitter" and "Benjen the Sweet", because the "brother", in addition to having two-colored eyes, blue and grey, as we later found out, is sweet while at Winterfell and completely bitter when at the Wall, far from home.

Of course, the "Horn of Winter", the power that Mance was looking for, was blown at Winterfell in Jon's first chapter, and right at Jon’s face:

His uncle was sharp-featured and gaunt as a mountain crag, but there was always a hint of laughter in his blue-grey eyes. (…)

If you knew what the oath would cost you, you might be less eager to pay the price, son.”

Jon felt anger rise inside him. “I’m not your son!”

Benjen Stark stood up. “More’s the pity.”

The "horn of Winter" is not something you hear, but something you see:

They called him the Lion of Lannister to his face and whispered "Kingslayer" behind his back. Jon found it hard to look away from him. This is what a king should look like, he thought to himself as the man passed.

In the next part, we'll guess the two last riddles and find the meaning behind the "Song of Ice & Fire".

41 minutes ago, northern_amnesia said:

Does that mean that Benjen is Jon's father? Yes absolutely. But that doesn't mean he's a Stark.

Benjen's story is the reverse of Jon's. Benjen grew up with the Starks and unlike Jon, he was treated as a Stark down to the name. "Benjen Stark" is a nickname that has to do with the crypt, where there are two kings, "Benjen the Bitter" and "Benjen the Sweet", because the "brother", in addition to having two-colored eyes, blue and grey, as we later found out, is sweet while at Winterfell and completely bitter when at the Wall, far from home.

Your first post said there were 3 riddles. Your second post now says there are 4 riddles. Is the new riddle: "How did I decide Benjen Stark is not a Stark?"

1 minute ago, Groo said:

Your first post said there were 3 riddles. Your second post now says there are 4 riddles. Is the new riddle: "How did I decide Benjen Stark is not a Stark?"

You misunderstood. There are 3 riddles, but the last one is splitted in two because of the two locations, Storm's End and Dragonstone.

Archived