Football: End of the seasons, start of the dramas.

A Horse Named Stranger

Since neither the Goerdies, nor the Scousers could be arsed with opening a new thread, you have to live with mine now...

Relegation/promotion, Cups, Championsips, awards. We're getting there. Also, that Chelsea ownership comedy seems to be in its final stage.

My team more or less officially exited the promotion race yesterday, by conceding a last minute equalizer out of almost thin air. It was more or less a must win game for both teams to keep any faint hope alive to go up. So them scoring a goal, was just to wreck any reamining promotion hopes we might have still entertained. Resulting in a lady in her 50s a few metres to my left to have a breakdown. Tears, sitting down, and a fuck you god!  were all included. Her group of friends and family consoled her. No idea, what other factors lead to that reaction, I just assume that goal was just the proverbial final straw.

Going back to the big boy clubs. I know correlation is not causation, however... Liverpool wins the CL, Brexit happens. Liverpool wins those exhibition trophies and are on their way to win the league, Covid strikes. Liverpool FC is on its way to that historic quadruple and we are at the verge of WWIII. Is it really worth it?

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Going back to the big boy clubs. I know correlation is not causation, however... Liverpool wins the CL, Brexit happens. Liverpool wins those exhibition trophies and are on their way to win the league, Covid strikes. Liverpool FC is on its way to that historic quadruple and we are at the verge of WWIII. Is it really worth it?

Call me selfish, but after all the years of watching likes of Steve Harkness, El Hadji Diouf, Djimi Traore, etc. I'd take a fucking meteor for 10 years of regularly winning trophies.

Yeah, but the problem is, the moment you lift that fourth trophy, the next, no, the last thing we hear is, the rockets are flying.

I really don't think the world is ready for that. But on the other hand, the the time with mankind as the dominant species had to come to an end at some point, might as well be now, and with Liverpool winning it all. If Russia is not nuking the planet, it will probably coz the sun to go supernova. 

25 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but the problem is, the moment you lift that fourth trophy, the next, no, the last thing we hear is, the rockets are flying.

I really don't think the world is ready for that. But on the other hand, the the time with mankind as the dominant species had to come to an end at some point, might as well be now, and with Liverpool winning it all. If Russia is not nuking the planet, it will probably coz the sun to go supernova. 

You got it backwards. It's the gods throwing tantrums because Liverpool is winning stuff, doing everything to sabotage them.  Your beef should be with heaven not Liverpool.

A heavily rotated Liverpool controlled the game as they played away to the team that’s second in the form table.  That was a huge potential banana skin, but they were pretty comfortable for most of the match and should have won by a clearer margin if the finishing was a bit sharper (or if Dubravka was less alert).

Huge credit to Keita, Gomez and Milner to come in and play so well.  If we only scored one today, at least it helped that it arrived relatively early and there was no anxiety as time wore on.  For the fourth game in a row we hardly conceded a chance worthy of the name.

Fair dues to Newcastle though.  They’re comfortable in mid table now with little tangible to play for, except pride and rewarding their fans.  They’re still playing hard and enjoying their excellent run of form.  There wasn’t a hint of on-the-beach listlessness.

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Burnley just took the lead at Watford,  for most of this match it looked like Watford would save Everton from relegation.

On paper, this is Burnley’s easiest game remaining.  They’ll have to be better if they want to escape.

Not necessarily. They now have 5 points on Everton, who in turn have 2 games in hand. And they have the goal difference on Leeds (right now 15 goals, after tonight probably even more). 

The relegation battle is a very different beast to that title race between City and Liverpool. In the title race those two are having, you just hope for a slip up. So there 2 games vs 5 points sounds nice. In the relegation zone, I'd much rather have the points than the games. If the relegation battlers could reliably deliver victories, they wouldn't be in the relegation zone. 

Long post short. Everton would actually need to win their games to put pressure on Burnley. 

Evertons remaining fixtures.

Chelski (H), Leicester (A), Watford (A), Brentford (H), Palace (H), Arsenal (A).

Realistically their best bet to win games are Watford, Brentford and Palace. They have to collect 6 points from those games, and that's assuming Burnley doesn't find another point here or there.

Burnley still ahve Villa (H) + (A), Spurs (A) Newcastle (H).

Some great games today.

Mainz upsetting Bayern.

Dortmund/Bochum was fantastic. Bochum went 2-0 up within the first ten minutes. A Haaland hattrick put Dortmund 3-2 up and then 2 goals for Bochum in the last 10 minutes gave them a 4-3 win.

Forest were electric against Swansea. 2nd place is gonna be a straight shootout between Forest and Bournemouth. Forest are 3 points behind with 2 games to play but with a better goal difference of one - the two sides play each other on Tuesday night.

Real Madrid have wrapped up the title (currently 4-0 up against Espanyol with a few minutes left).

Bayern in beach modus. Not surprising tbh. Dortmund close to being in beach mode (they just need 2 more points to finish second - assuming Leverkusen wins all their remaining games), and being inconsistent throughout the entire season. That Bochum still could get arsed to show up after being safe, tho. Kudos to them.

Relevant game of the day is about to begin in 15 mins. Let's see, whether Freiburg can keep the pressure up on Leipzig and Leverkusen for a top four finish.

Real drama is happening in the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. Hertha conceding the last minute equalizer against Bielefeld and Stuttgart finding the late draw against Wolfsburg.

29 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Fair dues to Newcastle though.  They’re comfortable in mid table now with little tangible to play for, except pride and rewarding their fans.  They’re still playing hard and enjoying their excellent run of form.  There wasn’t a hint of on-the-beach listlessness.

Well yeah. Most of them are playing in buy-players-in-someone-else's-position mode looking to summer.

Stuart Dallas seems to have been injured there. I sort of felt that hit - 15-16 years ago, I got into a collision in a match, a knee-to-knee-situation, and ended up with a broken leg just below the knee. 

That hurt, I'll let you know. Feel sorry for Dallas.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why would they not give their all?

They had nothing to be proud of for half the season, so why would they stop their run once they were sure to avoid relegation? Also, as polish said already, they are VERY motivated to show they can stay at the club and get those contract renewals at much higher rates or at least to get as good of an offer as possible this summer.

Archived