Football: End of the seasons, start of the dramas.

A Horse Named Stranger

24 minutes ago, baxus said:

Why would they not give their all?

They had nothing to be proud of for half the season, so why would they stop their run once they were sure to avoid relegation? Also, as polish said already, they are VERY motivated to show they can stay at the club and get those contract renewals at much higher rates or at least to get as good of an offer as possible this summer.

You could say the same about United, but very few of them look like they’re playing for their futures or to repay the patience of the fans — and they’ve been in contention for CL spots.

It’s a noticeable trend that some teams lose focus late in the season, either distracted by Europe (West Ham and Leicester) or not having a specific goal to chase (arguably Villa have been sleepwalking a bit).  Sometimes it saves relegation battlers for whom the greater motivation offsets their lesser skill.

It’s a credit to the spirit Howe has instilled that this team are keeping their momentum.

9 hours ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

RIP Raiola.

Don't want to look cynical there but I wonder how his passing will impact Haaland's situation.

Not at all.

Raiola himself once said, that those big deals take years of preparation. I am willing to take his word for it. So the safe assumption is, it's a done deal, with just a few things on the fine print needing to get hammered out. Raiola wasn't a one-man show, he was running a player agency. He was the face of that agency, and happy with the media exposure (and fan rage). But realistically his death should have little impact on the Haaland deal.

City will cough up the money, and more or less sign whatever was/is agreed with Haaland and the Raiola agency.

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

You could say the same about United, but very few of them look like they’re playing for their futures or to repay the patience of the fans — and they’ve been in contention for CL spots.

It’s a noticeable trend that some teams lose focus late in the season, either distracted by Europe (West Ham and Leicester) or not having a specific goal to chase (arguably Villa have been sleepwalking a bit).  Sometimes it saves relegation battlers for whom the greater motivation offsets their lesser skill.

It’s a credit to the spirit Howe has instilled that this team are keeping their momentum.

Well, these two clubs are at very different points in their history. Newcastle has just seen probably the least liked owner-manager combo in the league, the investments are starting to pour in, some great new signings are coming in, they got out of the slump they were in for years. On the other hand, Manchester United has been on the decline for almost a decade now, their management structure is yet to be determined, next season squad will look very different, they are pretty much out of competition for Champions League next season and players just can't be bothered to try for Europa League or Conference.

17 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Stuart Dallas seems to have been injured there. I sort of felt that hit - 15-16 years ago, I got into a collision in a match, a knee-to-knee-situation, and ended up with a broken leg just below the knee. 

That hurt, I'll let you know. Feel sorry for Dallas.

The club has confirmed that the injury is serious - femoral shaft fracture - and he's going to be out for a lengthy period. He's scheduled to undergo surgery soon.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

The club has confirmed that the injury is serious - femoral shaft fracture - and he's going to be out for a lengthy period. He's scheduled to undergo surgery soon.

Oooof. Good luck to him with his recovery.

Well now, I think I mentioned home field advantage earlier. 

For once I'm consistently right. No idea how pundits aren't seeing it. Or anyone else for that matter. Now, if we can keep this defense for our away games too..

And, just since I'm crowing about being right, let me point out that my favourite whipping boy, Mason Holgate, has transformed himself the last few games. Gone are the arrogant passes, the lax attitude and the overcommiting, silly fouls and unnessecary cards (often all in one tackle). The player we've had for the last three games is worth keeping.

10 minutes ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Well now, I think I mentioned home field advantage earlier. 

For once I'm consistently right. No idea how pundits aren't seeing it. Or anyone else for that matter. Now, if we can keep this defense for our away games too..

Judging by that Everton fan who hid the ball underneath his shirt, yep you're absolutely right. :P

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

Judging by that Everton fan who hid the ball underneath his shirt, yep you're absolutely right. :P

Dunno what you mean, that was clearly a pregnant man.

Archived