Football: End of the seasons, start of the dramas.

A Horse Named Stranger

In other news, Dortmund's gonna have a pretty strong team next year with their new arrivals.

Süle (CB; Bayern), and N. Schlotterbeck (CB; Freiburg) [the biggest prize in the upcoming window imho] are confirmed. Adeyemi [FWD; RB Salzburg] pretty much done deal. 

They should be much better next season, despite losing Haaland (City) and Akanji (United, rumoredly).

Jekyll and Hyde performance by Liverpool tonight.  Some of that is down to Villarreal using all of their energy in the first half, maybe some of it is down to the sodden pitch, but mostly it was Liverpool making a very sluggish start and getting overwhelmed by a team coming at them full tilt — which is why City give them such problems head-to-head.  They need to fix that.

Diaz had the best performance.  His general play has been better than his stats suggest, because he really hasn’t got as many goals or assists yet as his play warrants.  But nice to see him on the scoresheet tonight.

Liverpool are looking tired.  Rotation helps but their league opponents each weekend now have a full week of rest and tactics.  Spurs have a lot to play for on Saturday and Son will attack that high defensive line.

When was the last time a transfer window had as many immediately great signings as the last one? Kulusevski, Guimaraes, Eriksen and Diaz have all been brilliant, and though Weghorst hasn't scored as many as they might initially have hoped he's playing well from what I can tell and might yet help keep them up.

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

mostly it was Liverpool making a very sluggish start and getting overwhelmed by a team coming at them full tilt — which is why City give them such problems head-to-head.  They need to fix that.

A few years ago, it was us overwhelming teams at the beginning of matches. I've no idea why, but we just don't seem try that in big games any more.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

When was the last time a transfer window had as many immediately great signings as the last one? Kulusevski, Guimaraes, Eriksen and Diaz have all been brilliant, and though Weghorst hasn't scored as many as they might initially have hoped he's playing well from what I can tell and might yet help keep them up.

winter transfer window, I cant think of one.  Tripper was excellent before injury also. 

Would reds fans take a guaranteed CL right now if it meant losing league and FA Cup? Or would you role the dice on winning everything? 

19 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Would reds fans take a guaranteed CL right now if it meant losing league and FA Cup? Or would you role the dice on winning everything? 

I'd take a league title if it meant losing the Champions League and FA Cup finals. I'm not so sure about the other way round. Unfortunately I don't see City dropping any points so I think the league's done already.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

winter transfer window, I cant think of one.  Tripper was excellent before injury also. 

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'd take a league title if it meant losing the Champions League and FA Cup finals. I'm not so sure about the other way round. Unfortunately I don't see City dropping any points so I think the league's done already.

I’d take a guaranteed CL now because I think a PL title is very low odds for us at this stage and the FA Cup matters a lot less.  City look like they’ll cruise the last few wins.  I’d prefer the league title overall if I could pick, and I’m still a bit sad that this excellent Liverpool team will win fewer trophies than their play deserves over several years because they came up against a City team benefiting from years of financial doping.  Losing two league titles by a single point, despite an incredible points haul, will always rankle.

OTOH the one flaw of this Liverpool side in league campaigns has been their apparent greater comfort in the role of chaser rather than league leader.  They seem slightly too accepting of a wobble somewhere in November-January and then heroically chase for the rest of the season.  When they won the title, they just never relinquished that lead and effectively closed it out ruthlessly rather than slipping into that chaser role.  So I’ll always wonder if that mentality mattered as much as City’s ill-gotten spending advantage.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I remember Harry Redknapp buying Kitson and Hartson for West Ham and it basically transforming their season. That is maybe the only other occasion I can think of when the winter transfer window was pivotal to a teams success.

It does seem like an unusually strong winter transfer window across a few clubs.  VVD and Suarez were both winter signings, but I don’t recall a winter window where several clubs found such high impact additions.

Archived