Football: End of the seasons, start of the dramas.

A Horse Named Stranger

I don’t think Pep messed up last night, not like his previous unnecessary tactical changes.  The subs were ok at the time because KDB wasn’t having a great game and Gundogan can help them to be more compact — plus he immediately started the move for Mahrez’ goal, and Grealish almost scored two as he dribbled past tired legs.  Walker was a miss for them, but I don’t think that sub was a choice.

City’s passiveness in ET was the big problem.  Sometimes a team just cannot bounce back from a sucker punch like that.  I remember Liverpool having no response to Sevilla’s surge early in the second half in the 2016 EL final.  There is a fault there for Pep because he hasn’t conditioned the players’ mentality as he should, or prepared them for reversals.  They’re too used to having it all go their way.

Both City and Liverpool conceded goals this midweek to crosses and slightly chaotic surges of MFs into the area.  Similar to what Brentford did to Liverpool months ago.  Neither team are used to facing large numbers close to their goal, except for set pieces where they have time to organize.  It’s a weak spot they should consider.

City are fortunate that their weekend match is the late game on Sunday.  If they had an early Saturday away match, like Liverpool did last weekend (after also playing on Wednesday evening), then I think they would struggle with fatigue.  That extra recovery period will probably save their title.

Liverpool got pretty incredible April results despite Mane, Salah and Keita all fasting for the entire month.  Ramadan has finished now, and hopefully the players will find that the extra fuel will help offset growing fatigue.

Question is whether they actually do fast on matchdays during Ramadan. 

AFAIK that's up to the players, and depends on how strict they live their faith. So quite a few players push back the fasting and are more generous with their Fitr-payments to make up for it. I think the Algerian NT basically post-poned their fasting (with consent from their Iman) for a month, because it conincided with the World Cup in 2014. 

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Question is whether they actually do fast on matchdays during Ramadan. 

AFAIK that's up to the players, and depends on how strict they live their faith. So quite a few players push back the fasting and are more generous with their Fitr-payments to make up for it. I think the Algerian NT basically post-poned their fasting (with consent from their Iman) for a month, because it conincided with the World Cup in 2014. 

I’m not certain but it has been reported several times that Mane and Salah have been fasting strictly.  They seem pretty strict in their observances generally, e.g. the team doesn’t celebrate with champagne at any point of the year because they both strictly avoid alcohol.  Keita gets less coverage so I don’t know his situation.

Liverpool moved their training sessions to earlier in the day for the past month specifically for their fasting, which helps them to still train well.  But match days would be the big challenge.

1 hour ago, frenin said:

I'm sorry for Liverpool but this CL seems fated to Real. Whatever happens it has been an unreal run. 

Depends how Real's midfield gets on. Casemiro, Kroos and Modric are an intelligent trio who are great technically but a bit over the hill when it comes to physicality. They've been bullied and overrun in 3 out of 4 halves against PSG, the 2nd leg against Chelsea and the 1st leg against City (minus Casemiro). However, none of those sides were able to take full advantage of their near total dominance. Liverpool seems much less likely to let Real off the hook if their midfield folds. The advantage that Real does have though is that they've already wrapped up the league title so can now rest key players.

Well, this WE could very much be the decissive one for the EPL title.

Liverpool have Spurs, arguably their toughest remaining league fixture. 

And City will have to deal with the CL hangover and Newcastle in the Terror Sponsor Derby (hey, my shot at naming UAE vs. Saudi Arabia sport washing outfits is good/bad as any, I have seen thus far).

Frankfurt have looked deserving of a place in the final, but I may be biased because it would mean West Ham won’t be resting their entire first XI for their match against City.

Somehow Rangers have shrugged off the long term injury to their top scorer and best player.  Let’s see if they can hold on.

They have caught Red Bull Football at the perfect moment, their last 3 games.

1-2 loss at home to Union. 1-0 win at home against the ugly part of Glasgow, 1-3 loss away at Gladbach (who are not playing a particularly great season), and now they are losing at the, well, ugly part of Glasgow.

Joe Aribo got absolutely flattened by a freekick right at the close of the half. Has had to come off. That'll be a tough one for them, from what I've seen of them he's key to their play.

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Somehow Rangers have shrugged off the long term injury to their top scorer and best player.  Let’s see if they can hold on.

They've done this by turning a right-back into a key attacker and the top scorer in the Europa League, which is one way to do it.

Rangers starting to wobble a bit. Was always gonna be a tough ask to keep up what they were doing, so now they have to regroup and play a more solid deep block and avoid silly tackles coz they've got key players on yellows.

Archived