Football: End of the seasons, start of the dramas.

A Horse Named Stranger

In the pub last night, a United supporting mate told me that Liverpool are doping their squad. I thought it was just bullshit, sour grapes from a disillusioned rival.

So I did some reading this morning and it turns out that 65% of Liverpool players - 25 out of a 32 man squad - are registered as having asthma. This is five times the national average.

Why would they do this? Well, registering players as asthmatic allows them to take drugs that would otherwise be banned and place them in contravention of doping regulations.

Make of that what you will.

ETA: I'm not sure if this is actually true. I can find a whole bunch of links, talking about these numbers, but I can't find any kind of citation. So, they might have 25 asthmatic players, they might not. 

ETA2: The more I think about it, the more it must be bullshit. Klopp's players run about more than anyone else, so why would they sign a bunch of asthmatics? Doesn't make any sense.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, when picking a team it did come down to Chelsea and City.

Pretty sure that is the most glory hunting thing I've ever read. Then further exacerbated by the presumption of referring to Man City as 'City'.

Two middling, non-entities that have been juiced by theft and petro-fascists, respectively.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

In the pub last night, a United supporting mate told me that Liverpool are doping their squad. I thought it was just bullshit, sour grapes from a disillusioned rival.

Ask him about Ferdinand's ban for running away from doping control and see how he feels about it then.

Joking aside, the most important thing is that doping control in football is insanely poor. Can anyone remember a single high-profile player who was caught doping? The only ones who come to mind are Maradona and Adrian Mutu, and both were positive for cocaine, not PEDs. If anyone thinks players can play 50-60 matches at the highest level, all over the continent, travel to other continents for preseason, with all the training in between and do it all by only eating their veggies, I have an estate in Valyria I'd like to sell them.

Guaranteed if any Arsenal player harangued the ref like that a second yellow wouldn't be far away. Also, how many times did they need to look at that tackle? Both the VAR and then the ref. The dirty cunt was off the ground, both feet, studs first. He took the standing leg and could easily have broken it. 

Obviously I'd prefer to see Spurs play attacking football but I think we played the only way you can if you want to get something away at the best team in Europe (unless you're City).

I would have liked to see us threaten more on the counterattack but Liverpool's counter press was excellent.

It's hilarious that Royal being so clueless as to be completely out of position actually led to our goal.

We actually won away from home? This is something strange indeed.

Have to say I'm no fan of the "we'll defend our lead and not take any chances in attack"-approach we did in the second half, but it turned out well, owing to us having Jordan Pickford. When he's good, there are few keepers better.

Also very happy that Mykolenko scored, he has improved steadily since he came. Shame he had to go off today.

Tomiyasu is the fucking business. What an excellent signing he has been.

Also, we all know the only reason Ayling got sent off was because he used to be an an arsenal boy.

And yes, Rorschach, Mykolenko is a find

can't say i  am too shocked  by what's happening here. when city is doing their thing it is rather hard to do much about. 

onlyc thing keeping them from a cl final is finishing. 1st leg vs madrid they should have been up 4 without a response. 2nd leg they should have had 3 before the unlikely madrid resurrection. 

they add a haaland in the summer and they are going to be lethal.

If City forked over the money for Kane rather than wasting money on Grealish, they'd have wrapped up the league already and been in the CL final.

Grealish is a good player but it made no sense to spend 100m on a player who plays in positions that City are already stacked in and thus does not make the team any better than they already are.

12 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The issue there is Haaland seems to miss half the season through injury, so if he's out for the wrong games, they're back to square one.

That is a concern when he is still so young.  Though with their squad they could afford to keep him for when it counts to a certain extent. 

52 minutes ago, Raja said:

Tomiyasu is the fucking business. What an excellent signing he has been.

Also, we all know the only reason Ayling got sent off was because he used to be an an arsenal boy.

And yes, Rorschach, Mykolenko is a find

He took a little time to settle and find the pace of the game in the PL, which (given war and all) is ... very unsurprising. But lately he has been solid defensively, doesn't give away the ball cheaply, has a good left leg for free kics and thelike and now that volley.

I'd like us to stay up, revamp our central defense (Keane is too unstable, Mina's always injured) and then see if he can improve even more.

Archived