UK Politics- P0rn, Horn and Local Elections

polishgenius

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Labour need to swallow their pride and openly and officially shoot for a progressive alliance.

I've said this before, but it's not going to happen. Neither Labour nor the SNP are in the least bit interested in an alliance, as neither sees it as in their interests (and both loathe the other). The Lib Dems are sort of progressive? But also not, sometimes, as their coalition with the Conservatives showed. And the Greens aren't a significant enough electoral force. 

Labour in the UK effectively is a progressive alliance anyway, in that it represents voters that in France vote for different left/centre-left parties. 

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The woke getting control and doing a better job with government both on social issues(culture war hysteria can be ignored more easily) and effective governance. 

I suspect lol.

The idea that the 'woke' don't engage in culture war hysteria is...hysterical.

But genuinely I am interested what this progressive government would look like. 

What I would firstly like, is to have a competent government, that is much more interesting to me.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I'm just going to have to leave a confused emoji for you here since you don't seem to want to actually respond to what I said, but just throw around hyperbole. At least this time you didn't invoke Godwins law. 

Sigh.

Its okay to sometimes make comparisons.

I think deep down you know that,.

I see your prerogative; which is to frame your side’s culture war hysteria as merely preserving the status quo(blocking new laws from the dreaded woke).

I get that I do.

But I still wish you didn’t have rage about me me making appropriate comparisons to highlight your sides absurdity sometimes.

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

The Lib Dems are sort of progressive? But also not, sometimes, as their coalition with the Conservatives showed. And the Greens aren't a significant enough electoral force. 

Labour in the UK effectively is a progressive alliance anyway, in that it represents voters that in France vote for different left/centre-left parties. 

Nick Clegg is a lying Tory bastard and that coalition was an aberration. If Gordon Brown could have his time again, I think he'd go down a different path.

And if I thought for one second that a vote for the Greens would have any effect, they would get mine. Every. Single. Time. And I'm pretty sure there are many, many more who would do the same. Caroline Lucas as Secretary of State for the Environment? Hell to the fucking yeah!

If Labour are happy with being in power once in a purple moon, then fine, continue as you are, Starmer. But if they are serious about change, the change this country desperately needs, they first need to address our completely broken, unfit for purpose, system of democracy.

So, hold your nose, Starmer. Form a coalition and introduce PR. Job done.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And if I thought for one second that a vote for the Greens would have any effect, they would get mine. Every. Single. Time. And I'm pretty sure there are many, many more who would do the same. Caroline Lucas as Secretary of State for the Environment? Hell to the fucking yea

The problem is that the Labour leadership knows that, and has known that for a long while. They know that a substantial number of people tick the Labour box to vote against the Tories, and are scared of losing those people.

Just now, A wilding said:

The problem is that the Labour leadership knows that, and has known that for a long while. They know that a substantial number of people tick the Labour box to vote against the Tories, and are scared of losing those people.

So they can dream of emulating Blair by getting a massive Labour majority - which will probably never happen again - or they can compromise, and at least have some power.

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

But genuinely I am interested what this progressive government would look like. 

What I would firstly like, is to have a competent government, that is much more interesting to me.

Lol no it isn’t come on dude, your type sides with the torties because they’re better to you on some niche cultural issues.

”we gotta make into keep the woke from making it legal torture the trans s outta kids.”

Effective management of government and policies that would uplift or at least maintain the country’s economic prospects are of little importance

38 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Oh I should say this: there is no comparison the anti-woke’s moral panics are worse.

A woman getting being canceled on Twitter is better than her facing life time year long imprisonment or execution for getting an abortion. 

@Heartofice wait you’re literally confused on why moral panics that get states to kill people  for having an abortion are worse than moral panics that get people canceled on Twitter?

Nothing at all to do with Brexit. Oh no.

Bank of England forecast: If things feel tough today, then just wait - Ed Conway's analysis

The pain of energy bills you can't afford, of a weekly shop which is unaffordable, of being squeezed between stagnant pay on the one hand and rising costs on the other - that squeeze will cause a deep economic downturn, the Bank says.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Taking Maggie to her first polling station in a minute. Mayhem expected. She only seems to care about herself, so I expect she will try and vote Tory.

Ofc she would. You named her Maggie afterall...

(and that's how you subtly influence somehow to rename their dog, kids). :D

Head of Economics, British Chamber of Commerce, yesterday: In my view, the combination of the pandemic and Brexit has changed the fundamentals of the UK economy – particularly its ability to generate persistent inflation. The Bank will have to keep raising rates to bring inflation down, but a gradual approach, as taken today, is understandable given the nature of the current risks.

Random Internet Incel Expert, in a minute or two: Some disingenuous, nonsesensical horseshit.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, you'll note I said nobody in the British public. This was a crisis manufactured by the political class and the right wing press. Banning bendy bananas? That was another Boris Johnson lie.

From what I’ve seen from the polling on the subject there was an even split a lot of the with neither remain or leave having a strong majority most times they were in the majority.

It should be noted however a strong majority of Americans also never wanted a complete ban on abortion.

A significant minority made winning their culture war their sole ambition and made clear if conservative politicos wanted their votes they’d need to be anti-choice.

Majority agreement  isn’t necessary—although something that would help—isn’t necessary for their long term goals. They can get what they want through an apathetic majority and some people just concerned about stopping the dreaded woke in other areas.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Head of Economics, British Chamber of Commerce: In my view, the combination of the pandemic and Brexit has changed the fundamentals of the UK economy – particularly its ability to generate persistent inflation. The Bank will have to keep raising rates to bring inflation down, but a gradual approach, as taken today, is understandable given the nature of the current risks.

Random Internet Incel Expert: Some disingenuous, nonsesensical horseshit.

Whats inflation like in the EU? Why do you think inflation is happening? Have you been living in a cabin in the wood for the past couple of years? 

Honestly it's mind boggling the stuff I read on this forum, over and over and over again. Literally no connection to reality at all, only a connection to some people on twitter. 

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

From what I’ve seen from the polling on the subject there was an even split a lot of the with neither remain or leave having a strong majority most times they were in the majority.

I was there. Nobody gave a fucking toss. Except Sun readers who were subjected to a constant barrage of amusing stories and outright lies about the EU.

It just wasn't an electoral issue. Until the bankers stole trillions from us, plunging us into the most brutal austerity since the 50s, and Murdoch and the Tories started blaming everything on Poles and Romanians.

Oh I also don’t know if this happened yet; there hasn’t been a tweet feom jk Rowling denouncing the gop’s push to criminalize abortion in most of America.

Anecdotally  I haven’t seen much public condemnation from most of the prominent terf indivuals or groups in the UK 

I did however shee. maya forestar crying about someone not saying women when talking about how awful overturning roe v wade would be.

Anyway British terfs suck.

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I was there. Nobody gave a fucking toss. Except Sun readers who were subjected to a constant barrage of amusing stories and outright lies about the EU.

It just wasn't an electoral issue. Until the bankers stole trillions from us, plunging us into the most brutal austerity since the 50s, and Murdoch and the Tories started blaming everything on Poles and Romanians.

I'm sure nobody noticed an extra 3-6 million EU citizens moving into the country in a short amount of time. 

Archived