UK Politics- P0rn, Horn and Local Elections

polishgenius

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Eddie Izzard what? 

I thought we were choosing a replacement for Sir Keir?

I am, of course, joking. As much as I admire Eddie and his work as a comedian, he'd be a terrible leader of the opposition. He'd probably just end up being a massive showoff, conducting PMQs in a second language he'd learned from scratch at the weekend. 

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That's the "goal differential", what are the + / - for each that results in this net change? Though I am guessing the Greens haven't lost a single seat and probably not the LDs either. Did labour pick up some and lose some? Seems unlikely the Greens took all of the gains from the Cons, seems more credible that they took from Labour, but Labour took more from the Cons.

The Lib Dems lost my local seat to Labour. I think overall Labour in particular have a mix of gains and losses.

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This is not good news for Starmer. Outside of London, he's done worse than Corbyn. Currently getting battered by the LibDems and only 12 more gains than the Greens. Eek.

Labour seem to have done well in Scotland (overtaking the Tories to become the main opposition party) and Wales also, although perhaps some of that could be down to the local parties rather than what Starmer is doing.

I think the summary for the various parties is that the Tories have done poorly just about everywhere, although perhaps not quite as badly in some parts of the North. Labour have had some great successes but also some mediocre performances elsewhere. Lib Dems and Greens will be happy with their gains while the SNP remain dominant in Scotland.

15 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

102 / 200 councils in

Lab +51 (3.6%)
Con -192 (20.5%)
LDs +84 (30.8%)
Grn +36 (120.0%)
SNP +8 (5.2%)

We're pretty much done now, just 2 councils left to declare (Croydon & Tower Hamlets).

Lab +139 (4.8%) - have done... reasonably well (remember, we're comparing with before their vote fell away in 2019).

Con -490 (26.4%) - have done disastrously, though they'll try to spin it differently, the initial 1 in 5 was bad, but 1 in 4 is a disaster.

LDs +222 (34.4%) - have done really well, and finally seem to be putting the coalition behind them.

Grn +76 (105.6%) - the big success story of the day.

SNP +22 (5.1%) - they'll be happy enough with that - they've got about a third of all seats in Scotland, so there's not really much room to grow.

PC -6 (2.9) - have obviously lost ground to labour's resurgence in Wales.

Oh, and a reminder of the Daily Heil's interpretation from before voting.
Con losing 350+ is "A Disaster"
Lab winning 50-100 is "Gaining Ground"

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

PC -6 (2.9) - have obviously lost ground to labour's resurgence in Wales.

PC now control more councils than they ever have before. Previously they held Gwynedd; now they have Gwynedd, Anglesey, Ceredigion, and Carmarthenshire. They tended to pick up some extra seats in those places too. 

However, they took a drubbing in Rhondda Cynan Taf and Neath Port Talbot, suggesting that while they're getting stronger in the Welsh-speaking heartlands in the west (and, oddly, in Wrexham, where they gained six councillors), they're losing what influence they have in the poorer industrial areas of the south.   

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Tower Hamlets mayor elected despite having previously lost the job for electoral corruption. It really is a rotten Borough. 

Depressing. At least Private Eye won't need to worry about material for its Rotten Boroughs page in the near future. (Or ever, given the corruption and incompetence of UK local politics). 

8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Express, trying to manufacture victory from disaster. “better than expected”. What were they expecting, the sun to go nova?

The Sun is preoccupied with manufacturing a Starmer scandal. 

If the police find Starmer has broken any Covid rules, however trivial, because of everything he's said about Johnson and Partygate, he'll have to go. And it will be far from the end of the world.

Yes, but police already investigated it, found no rules were broken. And everybody, but The Sun (and co) and their semi-literate audience was ready to move on. That desperate Tory whataboutism got a louder and louder and has upped pressure on the police to reinvestigate the matter. So for now, I work under the assumptiont that Starmer should be fine on that front.

If he goes and in an unfortunate turn of events takes down optimus Rayn(er) with him, then the question who takes over is kinda issue again. I'd hope for Cooper and for Labour to keep the moron disciples of Corbyn (likesay Long-Bailey) as far away from the leaership as possible.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but police already investigated it, found no rules were broken. And everybody, but The Sun (and co) and their semi-literate audience was ready to move on. That desperate Tory whataboutism got a louder and louder and has upped pressure on the police to reinvestigate the matter. So for now, I work under the assumptiont that Starmer should be fine on that front.

That's what I'm hoping, but what is this 'significant new information' that's been handed to the police?

And Starmer looked decidedly shifty when asked about this the other day, refusing three times to answer a very simple question.

It's infuriating that this is where we are after dozens of fines have already been issued over Tory parties. Actual fucking parties, mind. Not having a standing up curry with colleagues at the end of a long day on the campaign trail.

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If he goes and in an unfortunate turn of events takes down optimus Rayn(er) with him, then the question who takes over is kinda issue again. I'd hope for Cooper and for Labour to keep the moron disciples of Corbyn (likesay Long-Bailey) as far away from the leaership as possible.

They didn’t really properly investigate it last time, that’s kind of the point. They just looked at a bit of CCTV footage. A few things have come out since, Rayner was there despite saying she wasn’t for instance. 

Other than that the interpretation of the rules seems to be quite different now given the political environment, and it might well be they would come to a different outcome considering the Mets interpretations. 

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If the police find Starmer has broken any Covid rules, however trivial, because of everything he's said about Johnson and Partygate, he'll have to go. And it will be far from the end of the world.

And the Tories will call Labour hypocrites and demand that Starmer go, while refusing to remove Johnson from power for far worse offenses. 

If Rayner and Starmer do go — I suspect they won't, and we'll end up with dead silence in both parliamentary parties about the leadership's Covid compliance or lack thereof — who would be the next choice for Labour leader? Emily Thornberry? I don't follow politics much these days: the few times I've heard her she's at least comes across as confident and fairly articulate by the low standards of the HoC. 

14 minutes ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

And the Tories will call Labour hypocrites and demand that Starmer go, while refusing to remove Johnson from power for far worse offenses. 

That would seem to risk giving a higher standard for the purity of labor than their opposition. Which can be a drawback.

In which case; would it be more practical to simply ignore the cries and continue on with a token not-apology saying we all need to adhere more closely to Covid safety measures?

Archived