UK Politics- P0rn, Horn and Local Elections

polishgenius

This is how he clings on. By appeasing the very worst elements of his party of crooks and ghouls.

How many Tory voters are going to say, "Well, I was absolutely disgusted by Partygate, and even though I'm struggling to heat my house and put food on the table, extreme animal cruelty pushes all my buttons, so I'm back on the bus." 

Shit like this might give the likes of JRM a little stumpy chubby, but the British people, notwithstanding the bloodsports mob, are generally not fans of animal cruelty.                            

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Burnham. Bit of a Blairite, but I think he'd do well.

He’s not in Parliament though

Edit: I agree he’s be a good choice though, but I think he’d want to finish his mayoral term first. Also his old seat is now Tory.

Long report in the NYT by its London Bureau Chief on Northern Ireland and the elections. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/07/world/europe/northern-ireland-sinn-fein.html

... Much of that can be traced to Brexit. ...

.... For all of the history of Sinn Fein’s victory — the first for a party that calls for a united Ireland and has vestigial ties to the Irish Republican Army — the election results are less a breakthrough for Irish nationalism than a marker of the demoralization of unionist voters, the disarray of their leaders, and an electorate that put more of a priority on economic issues than sectarian struggles.

Gifts/grifts that keep giving?

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

They didn’t really properly investigate it last time, that’s kind of the point. They just looked at a bit of CCTV footage. A few things have come out since, Rayner was there despite saying she wasn’t for instance. 

Other than that the interpretation of the rules seems to be quite different now given the political environment, and it might well be they would come to a different outcome considering the Mets interpretations. 

Right on cue.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It's infuriating that this is where we are after dozens of fines have already been issued over Tory parties. Actual fucking parties, mind. Not having a standing up curry with colleagues at the end of a long day on the campaign trail.

How about if the police found that Starmer broke COVID rules after all, and the Tories can't stop calling for his resignation (as they obviously will), Starmer offers to resign if Boris does as well (and Boris has to go first, or they do it together at a joint press conference)? 

If Boris refuses, that would allow Labour to hammer him and the Tories with "either breaking COVID rules is a resignable offence for party leaders or it is not - which is it?" This puts the onus on the Tories and removes from them the opportunity to claim hypocrisy from Labour, since Labour would be ready to consistently apply (to both parties) the standard that the Tories decide to apply.

38 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

How about if the police found that Starmer broke COVID rules after all, and the Tories can't stop calling for his resignation (as they obviously will), Starmer offers to resign if Boris does as well (and Boris has to go first, or they do it together at a joint press conference)? 

If Boris refuses, that would allow Labour to hammer him and the Tories with "either breaking COVID rules is a resignable offence for party leaders or it is not - which is it?" This puts the onus on the Tories and removes from them the opportunity to claim hypocrisy from Labour, since Labour would be ready to consistently apply (to both parties) the standard that the Tories decide to apply.

hmm  Boris won't resign ever.

but lets just say the rest of the Tories decide to drop him and demand Stamer also quits cos the rules should apply to both.  the Tories then have the problem if finding a replacement now made extra hard because the replacement can't also be someone who has been fined (or will be) for breaking the covid rules.   I'm really not sure there is anyone who the the party would want and who has not broken the rules, and thats without considering anything else.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Long report in the NYT by its London Bureau Chief on Northern Ireland and the elections. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/07/world/europe/northern-ireland-sinn-fein.html

... Much of that can be traced to Brexit. ...

Gifts/grifts that keep giving?

In fact, it look as if nationalists lost four seats overall, possibly five, and unionists three, in favour of the non-aligned.  The paradox is that if the DUP had kept to the rule in the GFA, that the largest bloc (as opposed to the largest party) nominates the First Minister, they would have retained that right.

17 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

but lets just say the rest of the Tories decide to drop him and demand Stamer also quits cos the rules should apply to both.  the Tories then have the problem if finding a replacement now made extra hard because the replacement can't also be someone who has been fined (or will be) for breaking the covid rules.   I'm really not sure there is anyone who the the party would want and who has not broken the rules, and thats without considering anything else.

It may change but other than Sunak (who seems to be out of contention now anyway) I haven't seen any of the other likely contenders being implicated in the parties. It does feel like the situation would be an advantage for someone who had been a backbench MP during the lockdowns and therefore feels like more of a change from the current regime.

Today, in Tory Britain, in the supposed fifth richest nation in the world, we are hearing about working families who can only afford to eat on alternate days.

Remember when Jeremy Corbyn said he was going to provide British customers with an option to buy their energy from a publicly-owned, not-for-profit provider? Remember how the right wing press howled in derision at that? 

Bet they wouldn't be howling if this policy was announced today, against the backdrop of the 54% increase that was recently imposed on British households.

Bet they wouldn't be howling if this policy was announced next autumn, when there will be a further price rise, estimated at an average additional £900 per household.

Also, if anyone thinks these prices are going to go down again, I have a bridge in London you might be interested in buying.

Also, here is a reminder that, somehow, against all the fucking odds, the French government somehow managed to cap the price rises at 4%, while reducing VAT on fuel. This, while almost every single Tory cabinet minister, regardless of the remit of their office, is taking hundreds of thousands of pounds from the oil and gas industry, as Boris Johnson categorically refuses to entertain the idea of a windfall tax.

But Keir Starmer had a beer with his curry.

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Also, here is a reminder that, somehow, against all the fucking odds, the French government somehow managed to cap the price rises at 4%, while reducing VAT on fuel. This, while almost every single Tory cabinet minister, regardless of the remit of their office, is taking hundreds of thousands of pounds from the oil and gas industry, as Boris Johnson categorically refuses to entertain the idea of a windfall tax.

The problem is, who pays for this price cap? It sounds lovely in theory, oh we just cap the prices and someone else pays for it. Those costs either get passed on to the energy company or to the taxpayer. From your perspective I'm sure you'd love the energy companies to suck up the costs. We've already got a price cap on energy costs, we've had it for some time. I've personally worked with a very large energy provider who has been pretty much crippled by that price cap, and it has meant that they have had to fire a ton of their staff, close down entire parts of their business just to cope with it. A number of other smaller energy providers have also gone out of business, which is not a good thing to happen.

You can see from my previous post that while it might look like companies have made huge profits, they've also just come off the back of record breaking losses. That post also outlined why the windfall tax doesn't make sense. You appear to just have ignored that for some reason.

At some point we need to recognise that global events have meant that energy costs have sky rocketed and we are all going to have to pay for it. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to protect those with the least ability to pay, but at the same time there has to be a level of realism.

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But Keir Starmer had a beer with his curry.

It's funny how when the Daily Mail tried to tell us all to concentrate on other things that were more important than Party Gate its a horrible diversionary tactic, but when we are told to not question Starmers breaking of Covid rules because its distracting us from the real issues.. thats totally fine. The real issue here is the rank hypocrisy as always. 

Starmer is already telling colleagues he will resign* if fined.

Spot the fucking difference.

*And in the process he will fuck Bozo and JRM and Nads and all the rest of the cretins and empty fucking suits who are only in cabinet because they are objectively bigger liabilities than their boss. Because, and unfortunately for the zipperheads, they have clearly failed to grasp what Starmer resigning over this bullshit means for them and Glorious Leader. Twats. 

Given that the tories flogged our energy utilities to foreign companies, and EDF is owned mostly by the French government, I think British customers are subsidising the French cap.

Archived