US Politics: Roe v Wade into the quiet part of the stream

Week

The Kritarchy continues dragging us back into the past. The only *ONLY* silver lining is for this to galvanize voters against the Rightward slide in the fall. Unbelievable.

Contempt for the courts indeed. We never knew how prescient the last title was.

This is a much needed opinion. I was never a fan of Trump, but holding and expanding a conservative majority on SCOTUS would never have happened without him. Finally much awaited legal and moral justice will be delivered. 

7 minutes ago, Week said:

Contempt for the courts indeed. We never knew how prescient the last title was.

Well, we've known this decision was almost certainly coming for quite some time now.

Also, a big fuck you to all the gaslighting motherfuckers who kept saying how it was ridiculous to think Roe would be overturned. 

Except you of course. You never did that, person who is reading this right now.

17 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

This is a much needed opinion. I was never a fan of Trump, but holding and expanding a conservative majority on SCOTUS would never have happened without him. Finally much awaited legal and moral justice will be delivered. 

Stripping away basic rights of bodily autonomy. Absolutely fucking disgusting.

Watch how fast they'll try tumble some more dominoes from this "victory", they've already been in an anti LGBTQ frenzy this year. Whether it's things that stood on Roe as a foundation or completely separate issues like marriage equality, they're going to go for it all as fast as they can.

20 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

For who, exactly? People who will never have to risk their lives during pregnancy and childbirth? People who have no stake financial or otherwise in housing, clothing, feeding or raising the child after it's born?

There is nothing moral about forcing a pregnancy to term and risking a person's life cause feelings.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Watch how fast they'll try tumble some more dominoes from this "victory", they've already been in an anti LGBTQ frenzy this year. Whether it's things that stood on Roe as a foundation or completely separate issues like marriage equality, they're going to go for it all as fast as they can.

There will almost certainly be a nationwide ban on abortion if Republicans fully control the government after 2024. However, I doubt that will even be close to worse thing they'll do. I still fully expect them to shred the right to vote. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There will almost certainly be a nationwide ban on abortion if Republicans fully control the government after 2024. However, I doubt that will even be close to worse thing they'll do. I still fully expect them to shred the right to vote. 

Yup that's certainly another one of the big ones and they already have momentum on it. I know people wanted to relax after Trump lost and the pandemic didn't exactly function as any kind of respite, but the fight is only going to intensify. These fuckers are never satisfied with a victory, there's always a next target.

12 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

For who, exactly? People who will never have to risk their lives during pregnancy and childbirth? People who have no stake financial or otherwise in housing, clothing, feeding or raising the child after it's born?

There is nothing moral about forcing a pregnancy to term and risking a person's life cause feelings.

Legally speaking there never has been a right to abortion in the Constitution. Roe was horribly written law, even RBG admitted this, it was high time it was struck down. 

Morally speaking, abortion has always been about terminating the life of the most defenseless. It is an abhorrent practice. I support some exceptions, but by and large it needs to go. 

Practically speaking, not a whole lot will immediately change. It’s not as if abortion will now be illegal nationally. Abortion will be returned to the states for them to write their own laws as their residents see fit as should have been the case long ago. Don’t see why people shouldn’t be able to decide how to live in their own states. Federalizing contentious issues like abortion was always going to end in tears. The more say states have the better for us all. Blue states can keep Roe and red states can do away with it. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There will almost certainly be a nationwide ban on abortion if Republicans fully control the government after 2024.

It'd have to be with at least a 52 member majority in the Senate as long as Collins and Murkowski are around.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There will almost certainly be a nationwide ban on abortion if Republicans fully control the government after 2024. However, I doubt that will even be close to worse thing they'll do. I still fully expect them to shred the right to vote

Remove.  Remove the right to vote you mean.  Along with any other right they can remove. 

People need to start voting drives yesterday.  

12 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yup that's certainly another one of the big ones and they already have momentum on it. I know people wanted to relax after Trump lost and the pandemic didn't exactly function as any kind of respite, but the fight is only going to intensify. These fuckers are never satisfied with a victory, there's always a next target.

100% agree. The notion that this is the end of conservative judicial activism is completely misguided.

8 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Practically speaking, not a whole lot will immediately change. It’s not as if abortion will now be illegal nationally. Abortion will be returned to the states for them to write their own laws as their residents see fit as should have been the case long ago. Don’t see why people shouldn’t be able to decide how to live in their own states. Federalizing contentious issues like abortion was always going to end in tears. The more say states have the better for us all. Blue states can keep Roe and red states can do away with it. 

Swap out abortion for same sex and interracial marriages. The Constitution as originally written never mentioned the subjects either. Do you hold the same legal theory that it should be left to the states who people can and cannot marry?

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

It'd have to be with at least a 52 member majority in the Senate as long as Collins and Murkowski are around.

They won't survive if this is where the party is heading. 

Archived