US Politics: Roe v Wade into the quiet part of the stream

Week

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

And as much as I dislike Republicans, I really don't believe if it was a Democratic primary he would have gotten much less, because I find it completely plausibe that at least 22% of the electorate wouldn't even have heard of his being arrested yet. 

Agree to disagree. I very much doubt a Dem candidate would get anywhere near that if the scenario was reversed. 

12 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The total population of Clinton Township in Boone County in 2020 was 906. 

https://www.stats.indiana.edu/population/PopTotals/historic_counts_twps.asp

Yeah.  That's still a crude estimate for the proportion of ballots that'd have it - there are a couple towns listed there without township boards and who knows about overlap.

Polls, polls, and more polls - and a couple of them offer glimmers of hope for the D's in the midterms - unless the pollsters were on meth or something...

I'm starting to wonder...perhaps as unpopular Biden is, it is dawning on certain folks that the R's controlling congress would be even worse? And if the R's hand the D's another ready made campaign issue like Disney or repeal of Roe V Wade...could the R's spin/spend fast enough to overcome that?

Democrats' Chances of Beating GOP for Control of Congress: Polls (msn.com)

A CNN/SSRS Opinion Panel carried out from May 3 to 5 showed that 49 percent of registered voters said they'd vote for a generic Republican candidate if the election were held today. Just 42 percent said they'd cast ballots for generic Democratic candidates—giving the GOP a 7-point advantage.

An additional 2 percent said they'd vote for other candidates and 6 percent said they'd support neither Democrats or Republicans. The survey interviewed 800 respondents with a sampling margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points at a 95 percent confidence level.

However, a similar poll carried out by The Economist/YouGov from April 30 to May 3 found very different results. That survey had Democrats with a 6-point advantage over Republicans. Just 47 percent of registered voters said they'd back GOP candidates and 53 percent said they'd support Democrats. More than 1,300 registered voters were included in the poll and it had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percent.

Random drunk people on this thread: Republicans are not going to make all abortion illegal everywhere, that's ridiculous 

Actual most powerful republican: yep that's exactly what we will do as soon as we get power 

On 5/6/2022 at 1:55 AM, Kalibuster said:

Yall are arguing with the drunk guy who believes fervently that masks don't help airborne transmission

And you're arguing with him to compromise with some of the restrictions coming, as if only 13 weeks wasn't a massive restriction on women's body autonomy or rights. 

You're like 180 degrees there as far as masks go.  Cloth masks actually do help air borne transmission.  Mist falls slower than rain. And cloth masks make a finer mist instead of heavier droplets.  Science.  

TBH  I didn't look up every country's rules but Belgium seems to draw the line at 14 weeks.Are they super reactionary?

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

You're like 180 degrees there as far as masks go.  Cloth masks actually do help air borne transmission.  Mist falls slower than rain. And cloth masks make a finer mist instead of heavier droplets.  Science.  

TBH  I didn't look up every country's rules but Belgium seems to draw the line at 14 weeks.Are they super reactionary?

You silly goose.

32 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You silly goose.

I'm not understanding.  Are you saying cloth masks that are like a soccer net compared to sand grain are effective?  At all?  As far as I know, I stated my position clearly.

Am i off base?  If so, tell me how.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

I'm not understanding.  Are you saying cloth masks that are like a soccer net compared to sand grain are effective?  At all?  As far as I know, I stated my position clearly.

Am i off base?  If so, tell me how.

Considering you are talking to a Penguin, I would say this is some sort of bird-based attack.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05/donald-trump-mexico-missiles-mark-esper

“No One Would Know It Was Us”: Trump Thought He Could Fire Missiles Into Mexico and Blame It on Another Country

According to former defense secretary Mark Esper, Trump insisted such an operation could be done “quietly” and no one would be the wiser.

Not even the Old Testament as far as I know had anything to say about miscarriages and abortions

exodus 21:22-25--

When people who are fighting injure a pregnant woman so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no further harm follows, the one responsible shall be fined what the woman’s husband demands, paying as much as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

numbers 3:14-15, regarding the census--

And the LORD spoke to Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, saying, “List the sons of Levi, by fathers’ houses and by clans; every male from a month old and upward you shall list.” 

emphasis added. and of course psalm 137: 8-9--

O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

so, some nuance here, though not so much to support the vulgar pro-life position other than platitudes about life, which similarly support just as readily the thesis that termination of pregnancy can be a 'pro-life' act insofar as it avoids mere quantitative growth for its own sake.

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Interesting thread...

Was reading that last night.  Almost posted it here. 

I mean, it's not hard to have issues with Schmidt, for any number of reasons, but at the same time, he's capable of a cogent argument and he certainly knows where a lot of bodies are buried...To my knowledge, he isn't writing any books about anything that should have/could have been released a long time ago to help battle Trumpism...and now it seems like he has zero fucks left to give...can anything he says now, help with the sins of his past?  Not sure it'll move any needles one way or another, but it might be entertaining to read some of it...

(Is it worth going back and reading Game Change at this point...?  I enjoyed the HBO movie, but never read the book...)

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

The US has only done the most superficial and performative acts to support or help Mexican states with their issues around drug cartels, governmental corruption, etc.  As Americans we are guilty of the civic sin of failure to engage seriously with our neighbors on the Federal level. (Although some past state leaders have done some good work across the state/national border).

But shooting missiles into Mexico?  I can't think of a less helpful, more dismissive and patronizing act.  Just when I thought my opinion of him couldn't dip any lower.

Archived