US Politics: Roe v Wade into the quiet part of the stream

Week

Heather Cox Richards's piece is the history of this day.  How it began, its intentions, were anything but the gooey hooey They turned it into.  It was mothers whose own losses made them think they could maybe stop wars drawing attention to their (unnecessary) losses.

... “Mothers’ Day”—with the apostrophe not in the singular spot, but in the plural—actually started in the 1870s, when the sheer enormity of the death caused by the Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War convinced American women that women must take control of politics from the men who had permitted such carnage. Mothers’ Day was not designed to encourage people to be nice to their mothers. It was part of women’s effort to gain power to change modern society.

The Civil War years taught naïve Americans what mass death meant in the modern era. Soldiers who had marched off to war with fantasies of heroism discovered that long-range weapons turned death into tortured anonymity. Men were trampled into blood-soaked mud, piled like cordwood in ditches, or transformed into emaciated corpses after dysentery drained their lives away.

The women who had watched their men march off to war were haunted by its results. They lost fathers, husbands, sons. The men who did come home were scarred in body and mind.

Modern war, it seemed, was not a game.

But out of the war also came a new sense of empowerment. Women had bought bonds, paid taxes, raised money for the war effort, managed farms, harvested fields, worked in war industries, reared children, and nursed soldiers. When the war ended, they had every intention of continuing to participate in national affairs. But the Fourteenth Amendment, which established that African American men were citizens, did not mention women. In 1869, women organized the National Woman Suffrage Association and the American Woman Suffrage Association to promote women’s right to have a say in American government.

From her home in Boston, Julia Ward Howe was a key figure in the American Woman Suffrage Association. She was an enormously talented writer, who had penned The Battle Hymn of the Republic in the early years of the Civil War, a hymn whose lyrics made it a point to note that Christ was “born of woman.”

Howe was drawn to women’s rights because the laws of her time meant that her children belonged to her abusive husband. If she broke free of him, she would lose any right to see her children, a fact he threw at her whenever she threatened to leave him. She was not at first a radical in the mold of reformer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, believing that women had a human right to equality with men. Rather, she believed strongly that women, as mothers, had a special role to perform in the world.

For Howe, the Civil War had been traumatic, but that it led to emancipation might justify its terrible bloodshed. The outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 was another story. She remembered:

"I was visited by a sudden feeling of the cruel and unnecessary character of the contest. It seemed to me a return to barbarism, the issue having been one which might easily have been settled without bloodshed. The question forced itself upon me, “Why do not the mothers of mankind interfere in these matters, to prevent the waste of that human life of which they alone know and bear the cost?” ....

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

GOP Senators Call For Warning Label On “Disturbing” LGBTQ Content In Kids’ TV Shows

https://deadline.com/2022/05/gop-senators-lgbta-tv-ratings-kids-1235018212/

So we can't say it, nor are we to see it.  Stop existing LGBTQ, they are saying.

People always underestimate how far this crowd can go. Not that I'm telling you anything new, but just look at what these people project onto those they dislike. Some weird shit goes through their heads.  

16 hours ago, mcbigski said:

You're like 180 degrees there as far as masks go.  Cloth masks actually do help air borne transmission.  Mist falls slower than rain. And cloth masks make a finer mist instead of heavier droplets.  Science. 

Yes, and they convert droplets to mist with 100% efficiency, without absorbing any of the moisture at all, or even slowing it down so it doesn't travel as far. Amazing, really. And of course mist doesn't exist in nature; people only breath out large droplets. I bet we wouldn't have a pandemic at all if not for masks.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

If anything kills the filibuster, it might be Republicans, over a national abortion ban.

If he's still leader, I don't really see McConnell abolishing the filibuster for an abortion ban - although there certainly will be pressure for him to do so if they win unified government in 2024.  Plus, I don't really see Trump caring enough to push for it.  What I could see, however, is a DeSantis demanding it.

In honor of mother's day laws are now being proposed to prevent women leaving states unless they have a negative pregnancy test

But yes, please do keep fine mist man engaged

2 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

In honor of mother's day laws are now being proposed to prevent women leaving states unless they have a negative pregnancy test

But yes, please do keep fine mist man engaged

I would have to see confirmation from a sane/reliable source on this.

That said, the video needs to be pushed hard, everywhere. Might help tilt the scales towards the D's in a race or five come the midterms.

And people thought Handmaids Tale was supposed to depict fiction?

We have segments of population that would gladly make it reality in the highest seats of power and enough knee jerk voters to be their accessories in crime. 

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Rubio introducing bill to block companies from providing employees with benefits to go out of state and get abortions 

That’s interference in the independent right to contract… and I suspect Rubio knows that.  This is for show.

1 minute ago, Kalibuster said:

Rubio introducing bill to block companies from providing employees with benefits to go out of state and get abortions 

Maggots, all of them maggots feeding on the not quite dead corpse of RvW.  Fuckers can’t contain their glee!  

8 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Actually it not a “ban” precisely.  He seeks to strip tax exemptions for such payments.  That’s how he gets around interference with Contract.

@DMC

If it is a revenue raising bill… isn’t it arising in the wrong House?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/4131/all-info?r=3&s=1

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s interference in the independent right to contract… and I suspect Rubio knows that.  This is for show.

Sorry, which branch of government would be deciding that it is a breach?

4 hours ago, DMC said:

If he's still leader, I don't really see McConnell abolishing the filibuster for an abortion ban - although there certainly will be pressure for him to do so if they win unified government in 2024.  Plus, I don't really see Trump caring enough to push for it.  What I could see, however, is a DeSantis demanding it.

I'm not saying McConnell would want to do that, but he didn't really want "skinny repeal" of the ACA, either. But he voted for that, and never whipped the votes against it.

The GOP is no longer a normal political party, and I no longer assume its members will respond to normal political incentives.

Archived