US Politics: Roe v Wade into the quiet part of the stream

Week

3 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Between the impending SC decision and the other far-right shenanigans, the GOP could be looking at quite the backlash - maybe enough to cost them the midterms. Possibly ruin their presidential prospects for 2024.  

Here’s hoping.

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Nonsense, leadership will still blame the Progressives somehow (while endorsing pro-forced birth Dem candidates).

Lol, true. The Democratic party would somehow become pro-life if the progressives pushed pro-choice too hard.

3 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Lots of hysterics out there, but this about sums it up best. If you really believe this, it shows how detached you are from reality. We are not overturning slavery laws lolll, give me a break. 

Yeah, I'd say women feel pretty upset that they've lost another hard-won, fundamental right to have control over their body. Slavery won't be next, of course, but gay marriages, trans rights--all of those hard-won battles are about to go away as well. You'll notice--straight, white men have nothing to worry about.

9 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

This could be so much worse.  At least we didn’t have to endure the presidency of a woman with an email account.  

But did you know that the current President's son once owned a laptop?  NEVER AGAIN. 

4 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Yeah, women be hysteric, amirite?

Anyhoo, could someone explain "trigger laws" to me? Some pundit mentioned it and I hope I misunderstood.

In this context, they're laws that immediately become active once Roe is officially repealed. 

15 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Yeah, women be hysteric, amirite?

Anyhoo, could someone explain "trigger laws" to me? Some pundit mentioned it and I hope I misunderstood.

Here's a quick look at the states that will immediately outlaw abortion...

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Between the impending SC decision and the other far-right shenanigans, the GOP could be looking at quite the backlash - maybe enough to cost them the midterms. Possibly ruin their presidential prospects for 2024.  

You'd think that would be the case. This wouldn't be happening if they thought it would, in any way, impact their ability to take back power this year and in 24.

But vote. Get out and vote. Tell your friends, drive your neighbors to the polls.  

45 minutes ago, Ghjhero said:

Lots of hysterics out there, but this about sums it up best. If you really believe this, it shows how detached you are from reality. We are not overturning slavery laws lolll, give me a break. 

Now now. Of course no one is overturning slavery laws...this is just the thin edge of the wedge to reinstate the slavery laws.  Silly troll.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Negative. I would gamble they'd ditch the filibuster once they have the bare number of votes and then immediately start to gut voting rights to ensure they maintain said majority. Republicans are now a full blown anti-democratic fascist party, and once you go down that road you'll do everything possible not to lose power. This next decade will not be pretty.

Mostly. Not entirely. Seven Republican senators did vote to impeach Trump after 1/6, and five of them are likely to still be in office in January 2025. If they are needed for the majority (and assuming there's a Republican unified government), I think the senate remain in its current gridlock.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Source required. What you're likely referring to is a debunked conspiracy theory. As previously mentioned maternal mortality is much higher among black women in the US and risk will increase.

I'm counting black babies. Their lives matter too.

Just now, cock_merchant said:

I'm counting black babies. Their lives matter too.

This disingenuous bullshit. Troll elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Can't they cheat their way through reconciliation? I'm sure even the republicans can get creative enough to make this into a budget issue.

That would be tricky. There's been a ban on federal funding related to abortions for a long time, so it'd be very difficult to find a plausible connection. Maybe they could try to come up with some fake thing like "less abortions means more taxpayers eventually", and keep firing the senate parliamentarian until they find one willing to go along with it. However, if they were willing to go that far they'd probably be willing to just remove the filibuster. So if there aren't the votes for the later, there probably isn't for the former.

It's the same situation Democrats face with Manchin/Sinema now. They don't just like the filibuster for its own sake, they like the impact it has on the senate. Liberal groups coming up with creative rule changes that keep the filibuster but remove it impact are just wasting their time. And if there aren't 50 Republicans who want to remove the filibuster then they'll face the same.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

Mostly. Not entirely. Seven Republican senators did vote to impeach Trump after 1/6, and five of them are likely to still be in office in January 2025. If they are needed for the majority (and assuming there's a Republican unified government), I think the senate remain in its current gridlock.

If those 5 remain in the Senate in 2025 and the Republicans control the WH and Congress, expect those five to be purged through any and all means, regardless of the law, for their vote on impeachment (certainly if Trump is returned to the WH). 

And regardless, the concept of majority will go out the window in any case...

19 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

65% oppose abortion in the second trimester, which is a restriction unconstitutional under Roe. With RvW potentially being overturned, late term abortions will reduce.

So… overturning Roe and Casey will keep abortion legal during the 1st Trimester?

Not only did that dastardly leaker commit an "insurrection" against the Supreme Court, they also distracted from a lot of interesting contests today in the Ohio and Indiana primaries.  Remember that "establishment vs. progressives" special election between Shontel Brown and Nina Turner?  Round 2 is today.

1 hour ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Can't they cheat their way through reconciliation? I'm sure even the republicans can get creative enough to make this into a budget issue.

No legitimate parliamentarian is going to allow an abortion bill into reconciliation.  They'd have to either overrule her or install a puppet parliamentarian, both of which are effectively the same thing as abolishing the filibuster.

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

Seven Republican senators did vote to impeach Trump after 1/6, and five of them are likely to still be in office in January 2025.

This is a pretty good heuristic.  So after Collins and Murkowski we have Romney, Cassidy, and Sasse.  I think Cassidy would buckle, but Romney and Sasse could go either way.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… overturning Roe will keep abortion legal during the 1st Trimester?

Don't feed to troll -- the answers to your questions will be more nonsense.

Trigger warning.

A propos nothing... My favorite is the one about rape kits.

Lots of Susan Collins jokes going around, ofc, but this one seems actually... legit:

No kidding, Sherlock.

Archived