US Politics: Roe v Wade into the quiet part of the stream

Week

2 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Pelosi is endorsing at least one anti abortion Dem this year.  Blaming Susan Sarandon for this situation is nonsense.

Pelosi endorsed literally the only anti-abortion member in her caucus, Henry Cueller, in a primary against progressive challenger Jessica Cisneros.  The Speaker/leader almost always supports their incumbents against primary challengers.  I really don't see how this matters much at all.

Just now, DMC said:

Pelosi endorsed literally the only anti-abortion member in her caucus, Henry Cueller, in a primary against progressive challenger Jessica Cisneros.  The Speaker/leader almost always supports their incumbents against primary challengers.  I really don't see how this matters much at all.

I agree.  I just think it's absolutely bonkers to be blaming someone like Susan Sarandon (or even mention her in any context).  

1 minute ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I just think it's absolutely bonkers to be blaming someone like Susan Sarandon (or even mention her in any context).  

Twitter Wars!

1 minute ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I agree.  I just think it's absolutely bonkers to be blaming someone like Susan Sarandon (or even mention her in any context).  

I posted a tweet of hers, so that is on me.

There are protest marches against the draft all over the City.  The sound of helicopter fleets is constant and dense and very loud.  A very large crowd has just marched past here, out of Washington Square Park.

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

As always, when Republicans take rights from women the people to blame are two liberal women.

CURSE YOU PELOSI AND SARANDON 

RBG, Murkowski, Collins -- all the attacks are on women (plus Alito, who is more swamp thing than anything else).

12 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Kind of surprised that non of the "originalism when it suits me" types are commenting on the obvious and proliferation of Popery on the court.  

They can't give away the entire ball game...

27 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Not interested in vindicating Sarandon. Admittedly, not the best pick for an example of what I was talking about. As usual, Pelosi whiffed on an important issue and is feigning outrage today while currenly supporting an anti-choice Democrat.

Oh yea, to be clear I didn't think you were trying to vindicate Sarandon.  I was extremely confused why Sarandon herself was smugly tweeting that story, as though her stated position that Trump's presidency would be no worse than a Hillary one was somehow justified because Pelosi has been inconsistent on whether to make abortion front and center in campaign messaging.

Even before the leak, like South Dakota's governor, there are already governors, officials, legislators and politicians -- and were ever since the Texas laws this winter --  of the usual states, including Texas, planning and organizing to criminalize sending and receiving tablets and pills through the mail -- and presumably Fed Ex, etc. -- as well as everything else and anyone else who might possibly be performing public service for women who need reproductive health assistance.

Just like in the days of Anthony Comstock anything to do with female reproduction was criminal to send through the mails -- just starting with any information about it at all.  Anything to do with sex at all!

Just like the slaveocracy in the southern states did with anything that was in the mails that dealt with slaves and slavery.

Yes, they did indeed have post office employees in both Comstock's and slavery's days going through everybody's mail -- even opening it -- to be sure nothing got through, and that those who received it would be arrested or at the very least fined.

The days of Anthony Comstock are less than a century ago, since his laws weren't repealed when he died in 1915.

CNN projection: Mike DeWine will win GOP primary for governor in Ohio

CNN projection: Tim Ryan will win the Democratic primary for Senate in Ohio

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ohio-indiana-primary-elections-results-2022/h_bfe338531a3e3257d0f731bdb4a7e911

Gov. Mike DeWine will win the GOP primary for governor in Ohio, according to a projection from the CNN Decision Desk, defeating three challengers as he seeks a second term in office.

DeWine, a staunch conservative but occasional critic of former President Donald Trump, benefited from the failure of his two leading rivals, former Rep. Jim Renacci and Joe Blystone, a farmer and first time candidate, to consolidate Trump’s base of support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep. Tim Ryan will win the Democratic primary for Senate in Ohio, according to a projection from the CNN Decision Desk.

Ryan was facing off against Morgan Harper, an attorney and former senior adviser at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. 

Ryan has been running as the presumptive nominee for months now, looking to both take on the numerous candidates in the Republican primary while also attempting to win back the longtime Democratic voters who have left the party over in Ohio.

Why are the republicans even pushing for this? I don't understand american politics at all, but checking historical polls on abortion, making it illegal only ever gets around 20% support over the last 45 odd years. And overruling 50 years of precedent for it just baffles me. Do they believe Trumpism has secretly swung this around? Or that their voters who disapprove will simply overlook it? I would like to think they will be punished in the mid-terms because of this.

5 minutes ago, Makk said:

Why are the republicans even pushing for this? I don't understand american politics at all, but checking historical polls on abortion, making it illegal only ever gets around 20% support over the last 45 odd years. And overruling 50 years of precedent for it just baffles me. Do they believe Trumpism has secretly swung this around? Or that their voters who disapprove will simply overlook it? I would like to think they will be punished in the mid-terms because of this.

*Whispers* Let me let you in on a little secret. The same people pushing this also want to make it really hard to vote and would happily subvert our democracy to maintain power. That's the only explanation you need. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

*Whispers* Let me let you in on a little secret. The same people pushing this also want to make it really hard to vote and would happily subvert our democracy to maintain power. That's the only explanation you need. 

Those people have allied with the insane Christian Dominion Right and may not be able to tame the beast that they've empowered.

Archived