Kindle versions (F&B and TWOIAF) and updates

Been thinking of switching from hard copy to Kindle versions for the two reference books, but it's not fully clear to me to what degree the different mistakes are being corrected/retconned there, and how to keep track of the when and what of updates.

I understand that, for instance, some of the issues compiled in the wiki errata have been fixed on Kindle faster than on reprints. However, there also seem to be others which haven't.

There is also the 5 new illustrations which were added to the paperback ed. of F&B: were they also added to the Kindle version?

So, are the Kindle versions the way to go for someone who wants to have the most "official" and up-to-date text? Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Paper version is almost always newer. But you have to buy a new one for each update, whereas kindle version can receive all the updates for free.

Current TWOIAF kindle version (v7) still hasn't updated the Gyldayn retcon stuff.

Current F&B kindle version is probably the latest, and has the 5 new pics. I think it might update again to incorporate some edits mentioned by Ran in Rise of the Dragon

12 hours ago, zionius said:

Paper version is almost always newer. But you have to buy a new one for each update, whereas kindle version can receive all the updates for free.

Current TWOIAF kindle version (v7) still hasn't updated the Gyldayn retcon stuff.

Current F&B kindle version is probably the latest, and has the 5 new pics. I think it might update again to incorporate some edits mentioned by Ran in Rise of the Dragon

Thank you, I see! What you mention regarding the Gyldayn retcon I do find a bit worrying, bearing in mind that it has a been a while. They should have had more than enough time to update that if they still cared to monitor these things...

Admittedly I´m not sure what the industry standards are on this matter, as I have not used Kindle that much, but I would have expected it to be more like with videogames updates - where you get at least a general changelog... Especially because these are reference books so people rely on them to look up the info they need.

But that was helpful, thank you again.

4 hours ago, Mushroom said:

mmm good to know. I´m in continental Europe, so I´m not sure which English-language version they'd provide here.

I guess there is no perfect solution!

You can judge from the publisher. US: Bantum/Random House. UK: HarperCollins. 

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

My kindle paperwhite updated to include the new illustrations in FnB. The only problem is the family tree is too small to read (that might just be on the paperwhite though).

Probably you are already aware, but I remember the publisher made available a large version back in the day that could be easily printable:
https://www.westeros.org/News/Entry/Fire_and_Blood_Preview_Targaryen_Family_Tree

do be aware that the kindle "books" do not have chapter titles listed - they only have the numbers. 
this fact really really sucks if you want to read by character.  i don't think they will ever fix it.

Archived