MCU: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of SPOILERS

ithanos

Ok, in terms of cameos...was there a cameo from Shang Chi in this movie?  Specifically, when different sorcerers were portaling in to protect Kamar Taj, one group comes through led by an asian woman.  They specifically take a moment to address them and say something like "It's been a long time...we are honored you came."  Was this Shang-Chi's Aunt...the woman who was in charge of...um...that other mystical place?  Tao Lo?  It happened so quick I wasn't sure, but it kind of stood out that they specifically addressed that group.

7 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Was this Shang-Chi's Aunt...the woman who was in charge of...um...that other mystical place?  Tao Lo?  It happened so quick I wasn't sure, but it kind of stood out that they specifically addressed that group.

I haven't seen Strange yet, but that character is played by Michelle Yeoh, right?  Quick check shows no indication she made a cameo in Strange.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

And of course, one nagging question came to my mind. If Strange, Mordo, Wanda etc. all looked pretty much the same in all universes, why didn't Peter Parker? ;)

It will never make sense to me that one Peter Parker was in his late thirties. I bet MCU professor X will be decades younger than Stewart too.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I haven't seen Strange yet, but that character is played by Michelle Yeoh, right?  Quick check shows no indication she made a cameo in Strange.

Yeah, she's currently starring in that other multiverse movie. I think if she was in this too I would have seen a dozen articles about it. Especially since Jaime Lee Curtis has been taking shots at Dr. Strange on Twitter.

I wonder if the asian sorceress could have been Tina Minoru from Runaways? She was in Doctor Strange but not identified by name, then re-cast for the Runaways show.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah, it was not Michelle Yeoh in this movie, so...I dunno why they went out of their way to single out this group that was arriving.  And now that I think about it, it was an older asian lady leading the group, but it wasn't all asian folks in the group, so probably not from Tao Lo.  Although another odd connection is that there was at least one Minotaur at Kamar Taj - I think the only place we've seen them before is in Shang-Chi.  <shrug>  (Eh...ETA...I guess there wasn't minotaurs in Shang-Chi, I must be misremembering...I could have sworn there were some animal-headed humanoids, though...)

Another confusing thing...they referred to the "prime" MCU universe in this movie as Earth-616.  But in my reading, Earth-616 is the designation of the main comics line.  MCU had been referred to as Earth-199999 previously (though never on screen).  Still, apparently the comics have used Earth-616 for a long time...so they are really muddling things.

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Ok, in terms of cameos...was there a cameo from Shang Chi in this movie?  Specifically, when different sorcerers were portaling in to protect Kamar Taj, one group comes through led by an asian woman.  They specifically take a moment to address them and say something like "It's been a long time...we are honored you came."  Was this Shang-Chi's Aunt...the woman who was in charge of...um...that other mystical place?  Tao Lo?  It happened so quick I wasn't sure, but it kind of stood out that they specifically addressed that group.

They said ‘Hong Kong and London’ I think, but I’m not sure why they merited a special introduction. Just to broaden all the sorcery stuff I guess.

There’s no reason to think we aren’t seeing films chronologically as far as I know. This film is 2025 but we don’t have a firm date for MK, Eternals or Shang Chi.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If Wanda was going bugfuck insane… where the hell was Vision?  He’s the one who grounds her and returns her to the straight and narrow.

Well OG Vision certainly was, but the only one we have now is a white one made in a lab. Who knows what he’s up to.

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Won't it be James McAvoy?

I’d be very surprised if they introduced the Fox mess of continuity into things. The multiverse allows for some fun cameos but for 616, I’d bet on a fresh cast.

And I think I remember a trailer for the movie where an Alternate Strange turns to Main Strange and says something along the lines of “Sometimes, things just go wrong”. (I was assuming this would be the Dark Strange from “What If”) 

Did I miss that quote, or was it cut? Or am I just imagining that trailer in the first place?

28 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Well OG Vision certainly was, but the only one we have now is a white one made in a lab. Who knows what he’s up to.

He has all of the orginals memories.  Including falling in love with Wanda.  And her sacrifice at his request.  Surely he would search for her.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He has all of the orginals memories.  Including falling in love with Wanda.  And her sacrifice at his request.  Surely he would search for her.

Well the last we saw of him, he knew exactly where Wanda was and he went rapidly in the opposite direction. You’re kinda right, he had motive to stay and help her, but we already saw that he didn’t in WandaVision.

(it’s pretty crazy that this movie is more of a sequel to WandaVision than it is the first Doctor Strange).

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Well the last we saw of him, he knew exactly where Wanda was and he went rapidly in the opposite direction. You’re kinda right, he had motive to stay and help her, but we already saw that he didn’t in WandaVision.

(it’s pretty crazy that this movie is more of a sequel to WandaVision than it is the first Doctor Strange).

Which is why I’m puzzled by the (pardon the pun) lack of Vision.  

Archived