MCU: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of SPOILERS

ithanos

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Just for funsies, I asked the google "watch mcu films in order". There are a lot of websites that feel the need to weigh in on this. Over, and over, and over... 

That way lies madness, my young padawan! :D

I saw one of those Click Bait suggested articles pop up in the sidebar of a Google search the other day that said "Most fans don't know that THIS movie was the start of the MCU."

Against my better judgement, I clicked on it and I became even more confused.   It was talking about the Ed Norton Hulk film and said that because Tony showed up at the end of it, it was the real beginning of the MCU.

Honestly, I just didn't know what to think and had no desire to go down a rabbit hole there.  I don't know if it was written by someone somewhere in the world where Incredible Hulk came out before IronMan somehow, but its pretty clear that IM starts everything and then Hulk picks it up from there before going into IM2 and then Thor/Cap.

Specific to this discussion, I think the MCU has struggled for consistency as soon as it got away from the "These movies are happening at the same time as the real world" structure.

I also lament that you can't really have just one place to watch them all.  I honestly don't know where the streaming home of Hulk or the Holland SM Trilogy can be found.  I've always been a bit of a hoarder, so couple that with the fact you can't find them all easily online is why I buy all of them on BluRay even now.  Can't tell you if Eternals, ShangChi, or Black Widow will ever actually make it into a disc drive... but I have them by God!!!!!

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I saw one of those Click Bait suggested articles pop up in the sidebar of a Google search the other day that said "Most fans don't know that THIS movie was the start of the MCU."

Against my better judgement, I clicked on it and I became even more confused.   It was talking about the Ed Norton Hulk film and said that because Tony showed up at the end of it, it was the real beginning of the MCU.

I'd say it's pretty obvious the post credit scene takes place after the events of Iron Man. The film itself might take place before. I don't think it really matters.  

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'd say it's pretty obvious the post credit scene takes place after the events of Iron Man. The film itself might take place before. I don't think it really matters.  

Officially it takes place in the same week as IM2 and Thor

12 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Officially it takes place in the same week as IM2 and Thor

Pressing questions, no doubt. Even the I was a die hard MCU fan I don't think I put that much sweat into these questions.

I saw Incredible Hulk in the theater. I even bought a copy on disc. It's a pretty good movie I thought. The stuff they shot in Brazil stands out cinematically. The only real problem what the character design wasn't quite there. I'm also pretty sure they had multiple animation houses working on Hulk because his appearance seems to change throughout the movie. Avengers nailed him; even with the weird simian body language he has going on. 

The other problem with The Incredible Hulk is that they cast Micheal K. Williams and cut his role down to a wordless cameo.

I'd be curious to see Norton's version some day, if only for that reason.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Honestly, I just didn't know what to think and had no desire to go down a rabbit hole there.  I don't know if it was written by someone somewhere in the world where Incredible Hulk came out before IronMan somehow, but its pretty clear that IM starts everything and then Hulk picks it up from there before going into IM2 and then Thor/Cap.

You sure the "point" of the article wasn't that the "shared cinematic universe" of the MCU didn't "start" until Tony showed up in Incredible Hulk because that represents the first "crossover?"  (Of course, that's ignoring/not counting Fury showing up at the end of Iron Man, but still.)  That's a lame and clickbait-y explanation, sure, but when has that ever stopped the internet?

20 hours ago, IlyaP said:

https://collider.com/how-to-watch-marvel-movies-in-order/

Collider is suggesting Shang-Chi takes place before Doctor Strange 2.

There an MCU Super Fan here who can corroborate this information?

I can't see any reason to think otherwise. ATK's original premise was that it must be before coz Wong grabbed them to, I assume, defend Kamar-Taj - but that just means he left before the mid-credits scene, because we know Wong got them to discuss the rings and then go do karaoke.

Despite its breadth the MCU isn't complicated- there's no reason to believe the films and shows are set in anything other than release order except if it's explicitly a flashback film or Loki time-travelling all over the shop. Hell, the fact that they changed Dr Strange to account for his being in No Way Home when the order was originally the other way says that Marvel themselves are pretty keen to just keep it simple in that way. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

To be honest, the post credit scene in that Hulk film, really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Hell, the fact that they changed Dr Strange to account for his being in No Way Home when the order was originally the other way says that Marvel themselves are pretty keen to just keep it simple in that way. 

I knew they shuffled the release; but honestly I don’t think I really thought about the consequences of that until just now.

So if SpiderMan happens after, that changes just how irresponsible Strange really was.

Peter: ”Hey… it’s awful that everyone knows I’m SpiderMan.”

Strange: “That does suck.  But you know what… there might be a way we can help.”

Wong: “Steven… the last time you did that we lost 2/3 of all the sorcerors in the world and you had to possess a zombie and wound up with a third eye.  Don’t do that again!”

-Wong leaves-

Strange: -Cracks smile- “A third eye is pretty cool though…”

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I knew they shuffled the release; but honestly I don’t think I really thought about the consequences of that until just now.

So if SpiderMan happens after, that changes just how irresponsible Strange really was.

Peter: ”Hey… it’s awful that everyone knows I’m SpiderMan.”

Strange: “That does suck.  But you know what… there might be a way we can help.”

Wong: “Steven… the last time you did that we lost 2/3 of all the sorcerors in the world and you had to possess a zombie and wound up with a third eye.  Don’t do that again!”

-Wong leaves-

Strange: -Cracks smile- “A third eye is pretty cool though…”

Wouldn't Wanda be the one to blame for 2/3's of the sorcerors in the world being killed off? She was the one who directly killed them, in her quest to murder an innocent teen, so she could steal someone else's life, lol

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You're not wrong. Also include the post credits scenes in the first two avengers movies. 

Very true, I nearly forgot about them.

They actually retconned the hulk scene with one of their "one shots." As I recall the Hydra side of Shield wanted Blonsky on The Avengers and Coulson sabotaged that by sending Stark to ask, knowing he would annoy general Ross and Ross would refuse.

Im pretty sure The Avenger's post credit scene makes sense? I don't care for the "court death" joke in retrospect but like they had to show who was pulling Loki's strings. You could definitely argue that entrusting the one stone you did have to Loki in an effort to get another didn't make much sense. Why not just do your usual invasion thing?

The Age of Ultron post credit scene is terrible. It actually had me wondering if there were cut scenes indicating that Ultron was some kind of back up plan of Thanos's. It just comes off as "fine, now that events totally unrelated to me have transpired I will get out of my chair. "

The Hulk scene made perfect sense to me when I first saw it.  :dunno:

The obvious assumption was that Tony wanted to add Hulk to the Avengers Initiative, and Ross is the obvious person to approach if they want to get a line on Hulk (other than his daughter of course, but it makes sense Tony and/or Fury would already have a relationship with Ross).  And hell it makes even more sense when Ross' relationship with the Avengers is reused in Civil War and Infinity War as apparently their only governmental oversight figure (why this falls under the purview of the Secretary of State is anyone's guess).

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

The Hulk scene made perfect sense to me when I first saw it.  :dunno:

The obvious assumption was that Tony wanted to add Hulk to the Avengers Initiative, and Ross is the obvious person to approach if they want to get a line on Hulk (other than his daughter of course, but it makes sense Tony and/or Fury would already have a relationship with Ross).  And hell it makes even more sense when Ross' relationship with the Avengers is reused in Civil War and Infinity War as apparently their only governmental oversight figure (why this falls under the purview of the Secretary of State is anyone's guess).

Yet in Iron Man 2 and in the beginning of the Avengers film, Tony isn't too interested in the Avengers Program. It completely contradicts his feelings about it, at the end of the Hulk film.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

They actually retconned the hulk scene with one of their "one shots." As I recall the Hydra side of Shield wanted Blonsky on The Avengers and Coulson sabotaged that by sending Stark to ask, knowing he would annoy general Ross and Ross would refuse.

*They* sent Tony Stark? Sent?

No one sends Tony Stark. Tony Stark does the sending. He's the "sender". 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Im pretty sure The Avenger's post credit scene makes sense? I don't care for the "court death" joke in retrospect but like they had to show who was pulling Loki's strings. You could definitely argue that entrusting the one stone you did have to Loki in an effort to get another didn't make much sense. Why not just do your usual invasion thing?

Disco.

The priceless, one of a kind, object of his desire; he's going to give it to the frost giant failson who got his ass kicked in the previous film.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

The Age of Ultron post credit scene is terrible. It actually had me wondering if there were cut scenes indicating that Ultron was some kind of back up plan of Thanos's. It just comes off as "fine, now that events totally unrelated to me have transpired I will get out of my chair. "

"Practice gauntlet".

"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?!? There's no one else here..."

Archived