New Peek at House of the Dragon

The official House of the Dragon twitter account woke up today with a few tweets and new character posters (more on those below)... but all that led up to the release of an official teaser trailer:

It’s a pretty epic trailer (if, concerningly, rather dark and desaturated) featuring all the chief characters, a Red Keep in the midst of renovation or expansion, Kingsguard, gold cloaks, violence, the Great Council at Harrenhal… and of course, dragons. Besides the new trailer, HBO also released a number of brand new character posters featuring key characters, which you can find below.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Gallery/_medium/HotD_Rhaenyra-Poster_01.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

Bah, no idea when the new teaser thingy gets its own thread here, but I really don't like the visuals of the show at all.

This is the golden reign of Viserys I, not some primitive backwater era. The people should dress splendidly and not aggressive, the colors should be bright, the decorations splendid, etc.

And then they do not give Rhaenyra a single line in the entire thing. What an ugly thing to do. She sits there like some sort of trained parrot who forgot her lines.

OMG I can’t believe they have Alicent trying to stab Rhaenyra in the face with a dagger :lmao:

Speaking of Alicent, she really does look neurotic in every shot of her. It looks like they might frame her marriage to Viserys as pimping by her father, which would make her more sympathetic. Speaking of which, how much do you want to bet that she’ll have an affair with Criston Cole on the show? (It also looks like we’re getting that scene of Criston beating the living crap out of Joffrey).

There’s a shot of Daemon and Rhaenyra’s wedding with them both looking happy, so maybe Rhaenyra will be in love with Daemon as a teen in this version. In addition to Rhaenyra not speaking a word, we don’t see any of the kids or elder Strongs. Who was the guy they were throwing down on the ground?

And dear LORD does Rhaenys’ wig look bad. I’m interested in seeing how her line about men not allowing women to ascend the Iron Throne goes over with Dany stans. I think that’s still an open wound.

I'm going to assume Alicent is actually trying to stab Rhaenyra's son rather than Rhaenyra, and Rhaenyra intervenes and fends her off. It is rather exaggerated, regardless. 

ETA: That aside and the varioius other niggles and qualms I have (that damned seahorse... and why does Rhaenyra's vestment collar have a two-legged dragon, and everywhere else it's four legged?), I think it looks quite good, and some of the costuming is certainly spectacular -- young Alicent's green gown is gorgeous and references historical costumes, Laena's cloth-of-gold outfit feels a bit too modern but otherwise is very pretty.

Visually, I do think the trailer is a bit too dark, and I hope this is a trailer thing and not indicative of the grading they'll use for the entire season. It'll get very grim otherwise...

The show is its own thing. The Targaryen dragon has two legs in the books.

But they aren't even consistent within this show, near as I can tell, given that her collar has a two-legged dragon and IIRC reports from filming occasionally saw two-legged Targaryen dragons. It basically seems like different departments worked off of different design files, and GoT itself had both two and four-legged dragons (mostly two-legged until something like S6 or S7 when four took over).

I agree that Alicent’s costumes look great, but I found the trailer pretty meh overall. It’s weird seeing so many people online gush about the production design.

Maybe I’m just getting to be too cynical, but this teaser seems to be getting a lot of praise on social media and I’m. . . kind of suspicious? It didn’t reveal all that much more than the first teaser, and there was a lot of negativity around that one.

11 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

The subtitles confirm that Cregan’s father “Rickon Stark” has been renamed “Rickard Stark”. To avoid confusion. This was rumored for some time.

yet the actor clearly says Rickon Stark. 

32 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Of you mean in the oath taking scene at the beginning, yeah I see it.

…maybe her personal sigil? Which later becomes official?

Doubt it. I think it's genuinely just some confusion among departments about which asset to use, and some used one and some used another. Just the exact same thing as happened on GoT.

@Corvinus85

True. not a big fan of the helmet design. It's fantastical. They seem to have wanted to reveal more of the faces of the actors compared to the GoT KG helmet. They basically have taken a barbute and given it a huge opening, and then added some design elements that don't feel particularly medieval but more, as you say, futuristic. Odd choice. I like the rest of the armor well enough, in terms of something you can see existing in a continuum with the versions of the armor shown on GoT.

59 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

yet the actor clearly says Rickon Stark. 

Yeah definitely sounded like Rickon to me.

Anyway, thought it was a great trailer.  Still just a trailer though.  And yeah, way too dark, but so was Game of Thrones - even when it was good.  So, not too surprising.

First season of GoT  was more brightly lit in general. It got progressively darker, for whatever reason. If it goes like that on HotD, it'll be a radio show by the end unless it turns out that the dark grading is a trailer thing.

I liked the trailer, this a dark story the dark visuals and color grading fit. Along with the costumes, I bought that this was a different era. Loved the shot of Harrenhall and looks like the votes being brought in must be for the Great Council. Rheanys and young Rhaenyra could be mother/daughter lol. The shot of the Velaryon funeral over the cliffs is stunning. And love/creeped out by the Daemon/Rhaenyra wedding, the blood on his forehead? Whew!

Archived