New Peek at House of the Dragon

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What’s the reasoning for thinking that Criston kills Joffrey at the wedding? Is it because it looked like there was a woman behind him?

I think because it looks if that's not happening in a tourney yard.

14 hours ago, $erPounce said:

@The Dragon Demands
You posted a Youtube video yesterday explaining the prophecies that are rumored/leaked to be incorporated into House of the Dragon.

It's a very captivating video and it gives me extra confidence that House of the Dragon will be great.

However, I'm curious where you got the information from. Even though I follow HOTD news pretty closely, I didn't know about these rumors/leaks before. Could you possibly provide me with the direct source?

(If for some reason you cannot disclose the source, send me a Personal Message on this forum. I will not distribute it further.)

It is from a huge butch of leaks, which hasn't appear in public web as of yet. Every newly revealed official info confirms it is correct in almost every detail (Visery's disease, content of the teaser, renaming of Rickard Stark etc.)

I felt the leaks about adding back in Targaryen prophetic dreams were so big that I actually didn't want to share them on this website for fear they were inappropriate.

The sources claiming this stuff...actually confirmed the new casting wave that came out last month, weeks before it went public. They seem in a position to know some info. Though of course, they could have MISINTERPRETED info they heard second hand.

...the bigger thing for me was that spy photos and filming schedule seem to confirm that episode 3 is devoted to some sort of large scale, invented royal hunt subplot.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:43 PM, Lord Varys said:

Well, Rhaenyra technically didn't lose. She was effectively deposed by a bunch of rioteers and she was killed, but her cause survived and her people did win the war. So if you break it down on the basic level then she is like FDR 'winning' World War II despite the fact that he didn't live to see it.

This is..an insanely amusing analogy.  To be clear, I know you meant it at the most basic level and never meant it to be literal, but there's SO much fun to be had.  So, instead of FDR dying peacefully while sitting for a portrait 18 days before Hitler killed himself and two months after planning postwar reorganization at Yalta what do we have?

Well, clearly, FDR was forced to flee DC after a massive riot -- this is easily the most believable aspect of the analogy, especially these days.  And of course, his cousin-wife Eleanor has vanished after FDR declared her lover Lorena Hickok a traitor.  Finally, following the death of his son Elliot, FDR makes it back to Hyde Park with his only surviving son FDR Jr (with his youngest, John, presumed dead).  Only to be ensnared by...who exactly is Aegon II?  Hitler?  Stalin?  Truman?  Thomas Dewey?  Frankly the best analogue would be Eleanor herself.  Regardless, he's executed by I suppose either a tank, airstrike, or perhaps a hasty version of the Trinity test.

Screw House of the Dragon, HBO needs to make THIS!

24 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It seems so.

I’d watch a show where Jon wrings the necks of Tyrion, Bran, and Sam and consigns Sansa to a motherhouse.

TBH, it wouldn’t surprise me if the show starts with Sansa and/or Bran’s deaths and Jon being roped back into being king.

Assuming they go through with this, I suspect this show will a) resurrect the White Walkers, and b) introduce Val (or a character just like her) as a love interest. Also expect lots of manpain over Jon killing Dany.

I’m fascinated by the online response. It appears to be truly split, with half being thrilled and the other half filled with dread/trepidation/annoyance. 

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable at this point that HBO is going to burn through ASOIAF pretty fast. I love the world GRRM created, but it’s not a mass content-producing IP like Marvel and Star Wars. There’s going to be GOT fatigue.

Will this announcement make people more or less interested in HOTD? It could reignite interest in the world, but it could also make people feel less inclined to watch it since they’ll be getting their GOT fix this way.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m fascinated by the online response. It appears to be truly split, with half being thrilled and the other half filled with dread/trepidation/annoyance. 

Unfortunately, it seems inevitable at this point that HBO is going to burn through ASOIAF pretty fast. I love the world GRRM created, but it’s not a mass content-producing IP like Marvel and Star Wars. There’s going to be GOT fatigue.

Will this announcement make people more or less interested in HOTD? It could reignite interest in the world, but it could also make people feel less inclined to watch it since they’ll be getting their GOT fix this way.

It could be good.   I think that exploring all the political fault lines running through the Seven Kingdoms, and the reaction of Dany’s supporters in the East to her murder,  could be an interesting tale.  

IMO, the Three-Eyed Raven should be well on the way towards forming a magical totalitarian state, eagerly abetted by Tyrion, Sam, and Bronn.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Lord Varys said:

I think in context to the issue at hand we do get 'decent war behavior' from Ormund/Daeron as well - back at Longtable. There they gave the Merryweathers decent terms, no sack, no burnings, but raiding the countryside for provisions so the ever-growing army could march on without difficulty.

That's not nice to the local peasants as well, of course, but it isn't the kind of slaughter you get at Bitterbridge and subsequently Tumbleton.

Just revisiting this issue, what would be the attitude in-universe, towards a king or lord sentencing someone to the Nights Watch, but privately sending word to the Lord Commander that that person should meet an "accident".  I only ask because I'm arguing about it elsewhere.  I think it would be considered highly unethical. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

It could be good.   I think that exploring all the political fault lines running through the Seven Kingdoms, and the reaction of Dany’s supporters in the East to her murder,  could be an interesting tale.

But Jon is hardly the best character for something like this. They said it's specifically a Jon Snow spinoff, not season 9 of GoT.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

This is..an insanely amusing analogy.  To be clear, I know you meant it at the most basic level and never meant it to be literal, but there's SO much fun to be had. 

In context I think one should add, though, that Rhaenyra wasn't executed. She was murdered on the command of a rebel prince who had stolen her castle. Aegon II wasn't a sitting monarch while he was a warlord of sorts on Dragonstone. He was only restored to the throne after Rhaenyra's death when things were restored back to normal in KL.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Screw House of the Dragon, HBO needs to make THIS!

As long as Gillian Anderson plays Eleanor I'm in.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Just revisiting this issue, what would be the attitude in-universe, towards a king or lord sentencing someone to the Nights Watch, but privately sending word to the Lord Commander that that person should meet an "accident".  I only ask because I'm arguing about it elsewhere.  I think it would be considered highly unethical. 

I actually doubt that this kind of thing happened. The Watch is proud of their honor even when they are mostly scum, and if they were doing that kind of thing they would very quickly have riot of the men on their hands.

Tyrion has the captain of the ship taking Slynt to the Wall take care of Allar Deem and the others. That kind of thing one could see more often, but not the attempt to have the Lord Commander do such dirty work.

56 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

In context I think one should add, though, that Rhaenyra wasn't executed. She was murdered on the command of a rebel prince who had stolen her castle. Aegon II wasn't a sitting monarch while he was a warlord of sorts on Dragonstone. He was only restored to the throne after Rhaenyra's death when things were restored back to normal in KL.

Yeah sure.  Dunno why "executed" would necessarily suggest the legitimacy of the government/institution/actor carrying it out, nor whether it constituted murder or not.  People are executed by terrorists.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah sure.  Dunno why "executed" would necessarily suggest the legitimacy of the government/institution/actor carrying it out, nor whether it constituted murder or not.  People are executed by terrorists.

Point taken. I was thinking of Stannis' weirdo semi-legitimate view of Rhaenyra 'dying a traitor's death'. And I was thinking about the fact that Aegon II didn't grant her a fake trial. It is not even clear what her crimes were? That she tried to honor the decrees and wishes of their late father, King Viserys I?

36 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

New poster.

If that is Syrax, how big will Vhagar be? 

I’m definitely liking the costumes more than GOT already. It’s interesting that they’re really playing up younger Rhaenyra though, since she’ll presumably have less screen time than older Rhaenyra. I’m guessing the comms team picked up on the comparisons between her and S1 Dany among the Targ fans online.

Archived