Making a case for Mya Stone

The Answer

You have to love a classic re-read, or re-listen to the audio book. Somehow I did not give much though to Mya Stone's claim to the Iron Throne in my first or second read through - only Gendry's. But how not? Sure, the male is the traditional next in line, but traditions are always broken. 

The Targaryens, Balon Greyjoy naming Asha, Dornish law, and even Stannis naming Shireen are examples of women heirs. 

What a great match she would make with Jon Snow. The irony of Lyanna & Rheagar's son marrying Robert's daughter :lol:

Thoughts on her getting more involved in Winds, or dare I say DoS?

Jon Snow is a bastard.  Mya Stone is a bastard.  Their claims, if they even have any, are very weak.  Jon Snow is the son of Brandon Stark and Lyanna Stark.  What claim he has is for Winterfell.   

Mya Stone has a claim to nothing.  Same as Gendry.  They are bastards, common born, and unacknowledged.  And Gendry is entirely unknown.

If any of Robert's bastards is to inherit anything, it would be Edric Storm.  He is acknowledged and grew up in Renly's court.  He might get Storm's End by the conclusion. 

From hints such as Brienne's reaction when she first met Gendry, it seems likely that Robert's children look a lot like him. I can imagine them being brought to King's Landing for a trial to determine the legitimacy (or lack thereof)  of Cersei's children.  If you bring both of them, plus Edric, together before a group of people who remember Robert and Renly, it will probably make a strong case. -- and oh, yeah, Stannis too, if he lives that long.

Kings through time and history have had bastards.  No bastard, as far as I know, have ever ascended to the throne.  That idiot Aegon IV almost ruined the kingdom when he recognized and legitimized his bastards.  At least part of the reason for Roose Bolton's siding with the Lannisters was to get a friendly king to legitimize Ramsay.  It is not something normally done.  Both of your candidates are bastards.  Neither are really suitable for ruling even if they were legitimized.  Mya Stone has no experience in ruling.  Jon failed at the Wall.  Even the Gods can't help Westeros if they are ever put on the throne.  

On 5/7/2022 at 12:30 PM, Mordred said:

Kings through time and history have had bastards.  No bastard, as far as I know, have ever ascended to the throne.

William the Bastard became King of England 1066. But after that conquest for some reason William I gained same artist name than Aegon I and people stopped using his old tittle.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, Lord Lannister said:

There is a societal difference between bastards raised in a noble household and those among common folk. I think the mule girl is as common as they get. 

Exactly - if she was given out as an acknowledged natural daughter and then fostered at the Arryn Court, with its prestige and Andal hauteur, dressed well and kept in the proper style as a noble demoiselle, with a maid and fancy clothes, then maybe, maybe she would be something of a catch on the marriage market, because her posh treatment would suggest her father's favor, which then would imply *access* for the girl's future husband to her powerful father(1). Having her clean up mule shit in the stables implies just the opposite.   

(1) (coincidentally, just what we see going on with 'Alayne Stone')

We saw the last of Mya Stone.  She was put in the story to show Robert making bastards wherever he went.  Mya is one bastard among many.  Jon Snow is a Stark bastard.  He has no claim to the Iron Throne. 

Mya's got a pretty loaded name so I doubt we're done with her. If there is ever need for a Baratheon heir (other than Melisandre's need) my suspicion is that she'll be the one to fill the bill. Could be linking up with Jon though that would probably be one of those political marriages unless the story somehow brings them together (seems unlikely but there are a few thousand pages to go so a lot could happen).

I don't know that the eventual ruler of Westeros will give a rat's about other noble house's idea of bastardy and legitimacy. it really depends on why a Baratheon heir is needed and who needs the person.

Archived