Which of the Planetos religions would you take for yourself?

Canon Claude

Tough call, honestly. It's clear to me that the faith of R'hlorr has some merit to it, given what we've seen Melisandre, Moqorro, and Thoros do. But I can't fully get behind a religion which hinges on human sacrifice, so that also rules out the old gods of the north. And yet I'm half-convinced those two are the genuine article compared to the other ones we've seen. I might just go for the Seven just because they're the lesser of the multiple evils.

R'hllor clearly has some power, but I am not too fond of bonfires and people burning alive. The rites of the Seven remind me too much of the Catholic Mass my grandmother used to drag me to, so that one's out on principle. We don't know all that much about the Drowned God, but what we have seen was rather unappealing. That leaves the Old Gods, which seem pretty chill actually. No priests, no mass, no hymns, just quiet contemplation in front of a tree every once in a while and not killing any guests. Think I could manage that. 

I'd follow the 'many faced god', not because I've got some hankering to go spill a bunch of blood, but I think there's something cynically atheistic about Syrio and Jacqen's description of the god. He is not a god of death, the so called 'many faced god' is death itself and that's who every devout worshipper of every named deity on planetos is really speaking too when they pray. Worshipping the many faced god is seeing through the whole worship thing, skipping the middlemen and speaking right to the source. "I don't want to die, I don't want the people important to me to die, but I know that all who live eventually do" and so what do we say to death?  "Not today"

26 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Why? That sounds more like you're fishing for what you want to hear than what people think.

I asked a specific question in the title. I have set up the parameters. If this hypothetical question is not to your liking, you are welcome to ignore it.

I have to go with Missendei's butterfly god.  Although a naked deity cavorting with females with butterfly wings sounds a bit Garth Greenhand to me.  But it's religion of peace and harmony.   

4 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I'd follow the 'many faced god', not because I've got some hankering to go spill a bunch of blood, but I think there's something cynically atheistic about Syrio and Jacqen's description of the god. He is not a god of death, the so called 'many faced god' is death itself and that's who every devout worshipper of every named deity on planetos is really speaking too when they pray. Worshipping the many faced god is seeing through the whole worship thing, skipping the middlemen and speaking right to the source. "I don't want to die, I don't want the people important to me to die, but I know that all who live eventually do" and so what do we say to death?  "Not today"

Yep same for me. If I had to choose a religion, I’d be monotheistic too. And death would be it’s true face, the real manifestation.

I’d say that even in real life the true final act we experience is death and therefore it’s probably the most “agnostic” religion (if such a thing were to exist) that I could choose.

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I asked a specific question in the title. I have set up the parameters. If this hypothetical question is not to your liking, you are welcome to ignore it.

I find nothing wrong with the question. My issue was with you trying to silence someone who gave an answer you didn't like. 

I'd go agnostic myself, I expect as I could see myself finding few redeeming features in any of the prominent faiths. If that answer isn't to your liking, you are of course free to ignore it. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:36 AM, Lady Misery said:

R'hllor clearly has some power, but I am not too fond of bonfires and people burning alive. The rites of the Seven remind me too much of the Catholic Mass my grandmother used to drag me to, so that one's out on principle. We don't know all that much about the Drowned God, but what we have seen was rather unappealing. That leaves the Old Gods, which seem pretty chill actually. No priests, no mass, no hymns, just quiet contemplation in front of a tree every once in a while and not killing any guests. Think I could manage that. 

The Old Gods are bloodthirsty. The Starks and those who follow them have been murdering people and using their blood to fertilize the Weirwoods. 

8 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The Old Gods are bloodthirsty. The Starks and those who follow them have been murdering people and using their blood to fertilize the Weirwoods. 

So are/were followers of other gods. Andals slaughtered  a lot of people when they wiped out old political entities and CoF. Besides they were very traitorous. Or many of them betrayed their nominal masters and many Andals were kinslayers.

9 hours ago, Lady Misery said:

Not in recent history, though. 

To be fair, that time is coming back. The books have foreshadowed it several times. When the Long Night returns, the North is going to remember its savage roots. Even the Andal Manderly house is practicing cannibalism either to survive (Wylis ate roast goat in Harrenhal) or to avenge (Wyman and his three pies). Plus we've seen the vision of the blood sacrifice through Bran's eyes, and Davos heard the stories of the old North's ways, hanging entrails in trees and whatnot. This is a savage land of savage wolves, and the old gods will have their share of blood once again.

13 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

To be fair, that time is coming back. The books have foreshadowed it several times. When the Long Night returns, the North is going to remember its savage roots. Even the Andal Manderly house is practicing cannibalism either to survive (Wylis ate roast goat in Harrenhal) or to avenge (Wyman and his three pies). Plus we've seen the vision of the blood sacrifice through Bran's eyes, and Davos heard the stories of the old North's ways, hanging entrails in trees and whatnot. This is a savage land of savage wolves, and the old gods will have their share of blood once again.

If they have even stopped. Ned was ok but his father and earlier Starks were probably feeding the trees.  

Archived