Which of the Planetos religions would you take for yourself?

Canon Claude

On 5/9/2022 at 7:26 PM, James Arryn said:

Summer Isles sounds pretty chill. 

The gods of tits and wine do sound pretty chill. 

23 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Non-denominational. Agnostic. I will start one if it doesn’t exist.

I'm sure you would. How many copies of the Queen Daenerys Bibles will you want printed ;)? 

I think that, barring me moving to the Summer Islands and having a grand old time, I'd prolly go with the Old Gods. I despise long, time wasting church services and I'm not all keen on the burning-people-alive religion. Dothraki religion sounds...unpleasant. 

Nothing wrong with trees. You can listen to EU books and r/slash. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:03 PM, Canon Claude said:

I asked a specific question in the title. I have set up the parameters. If this hypothetical question is not to your liking, you are welcome to ignore it.

You don't necessarily need to be religious....I get along just fine. 

Sorry for doubles, mods. 

The gods of Winterfell kept a different sort of wood. It was a dark, primal place, three acres of old forest untouched for ten thousand years as the gloomy castle rose around it. It smelled of moist earth and decay. No redwoods grew here. This was a wood of stubborn sentinel trees armored in grey-green needles, of mighty oaks, of ironwoods as old as the realm itself. Here thick black trunks crowded close together while twisted branches wove a dense canopy overhead and misshapen roots wrestled beneath the soil. This was a place of deep silence and brooding shadows, and the gods who lived here had no names. -agot cat i

That's the coolest introduction to a religion ever! I choose the old gods. It has the closest relationship to reality. I think R'hllorism is equally or nearly as close to reality, but in a way that runs perpendicular to the truths of the old gods, placing the two traditions in neverending conflict that's reminiscent of the conflicts depicted in biblical stories like Cain and Abel and the Garden of Eden. Westeros is on the Abel programming and most of Essos is on the Cain programming. For example, I can see that the slaves that Tyrion encounters during his time as a slave are quite proud to belong to a rich and powerful master. 

13 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

You don't necessarily need to be religious....I get along just fine. 

I’m aware of that. I’m an atheist too.

I was just trying to create a specific hypothetical scenario. I didn’t mean for it to get out of hand.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I was just trying to create a specific hypothetical scenario. I didn’t mean for it to get out of hand.

I'd have to check again to see if you already answered, but what religion would you personally pick?

On 5/12/2022 at 12:00 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

If they have even stopped. Ned was ok but his father and earlier Starks were probably feeding the trees.  

Ned wasn't a true Stark. He wasn't raised in Winterfell, he was raised in the Vale. His father wasn't Rickard, it was Jon Arryn. Arryn gave Ned that overinflated sense of honour which plagued his life, and it also plagued his son Robb's later on. But Robb was more Stark than his father considering he got a direwolf. Even Catelyn knew enough that she urged Robb to trust his wolf. But he proved to be his 'father's son' and paid a bloody price for it. 

It's no coincidence that the last Stark children, legitimate and illegitimate, are wargs. Not to mention the fact that they are all becoming wilder (Jon Snow), more dangerous (Arya), more savage (Rickon), and more connected to the weirwoods (Bran). House Stark will return to its wolfish roots.

2 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

It's no coincidence that the last Stark children, legitimate and illegitimate, are wargs. Not to mention the fact that they are all becoming wilder (Jon Snow), more dangerous (Arya), more savage (Rickon), and more connected to the weirwoods (Bran). House Stark will return to its wolfish roots.

You forgot about Sansa.

7 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

You forgot about Sansa.

I didn't. She's not a true Stark either. She's her mother's daughter, a Tully. Why do you think GRRM killed off her wolf so early in the story? I just hope that she doesn't end up ruling the North like she did in that terrible fanfiction story which was going around earlier.

I'm a atheist but if a really had to choose, I would most likely choose the old gods, they are historically bloody but they seem to not be for sometime now and the lack of rule or any structure for that matters makes it for me the one that you could get away with never participating except for mariages and funerals.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:13 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

The gods of tits and wine do sound pretty chill. 

I'm sure you would. How many copies of the Queen Daenerys Bibles will you want printed ;)? 

I think that, barring me moving to the Summer Islands and having a grand old time, I'd prolly go with the Old Gods. I despise long, time wasting church services and I'm not all keen on the burning-people-alive religion. Dothraki religion sounds...unpleasant. 

Nothing wrong with trees. You can listen to EU books and r/slash. 

The Old Gods demand their followers make human sacrifices to those nasty trees. Thousands must have been murdered to soak the roots of the Winterfell tree with blood. The OG and the Starks are disguusting. 

15 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

The Old Gods demand their followers make human sacrifices to those nasty trees. Thousands must have been murdered to soak the roots of the Winterfell tree with blood. The OG and the Starks are disguusting. 

That vision was, in all probability hundreds or thousands of years old, the incident with the slavers was also a long time ago, and besides, I'm probably not going to be the one doing the sacrifices. 

Though thank you for stating your already obvious bias for everyone to see. Now, skeddadle.  Y'all are bad for my mental health. 

To be honest, it really seems like sacrifice is a major theme in this series. Several of the faiths we've been told about require sacrifices for the magic to work. We've got Azor Ahai forging Lightbringer with his lover's body, the sacrifices by the Ironborn, the Qohorik, Rh'lorr, the old gods... There's also strong hints that Valyrian steel is done with blood magic.

55 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

The Old Gods’ worshippers, the Starks, the Children all make blood offerings to the weirwoods. Horrible people. 

From the way it is talked about sacrifices to the Old God have not happened south of the Wall since at the latest the arrival of the Manderly's, that was over a thousands years ago. North of the wall and on Skagos could be different but if the Starks and other old gods worshippers are responsible for the sacrifice of old, than the Lannister and Gardenners too. 

On 5/21/2022 at 8:05 AM, Vaegon the dragonless said:

From the way it is talked about sacrifices to the Old God have not happened south of the Wall since at the latest the arrival of the Manderly's, that was over a thousands years ago. North of the wall and on Skagos could be different but if the Starks and other old gods worshippers are responsible for the sacrifice of old, than the Lannister and Gardenners too. 

There have been no instances of the Lannisters religion doing this. The Starks are proven to practice human sacrifice. 

5 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

There have been no instances of the Lannisters religion doing this. The Starks are proven to practice human sacrifice. 

The Lannister practice the old gods religion, just like the rest of Westeros. So if human sacrifice was a normal practice then it is most likely that the Lannister and all the other pre-andal houses practiced such actions.

And I dont recall when it is stated that the Stark practiced human sacrifice, it is hinted with Bran's vision and in white harbour but the time frame is not clear, nor is it said to be something only practiced by the Starks.

If I had to choose, I'd worship the God of Many Faces . "Not Today" is the easiest of prayers :P

On 5/16/2022 at 6:09 AM, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I didn't. She's not a true Stark either. She's her mother's daughter, a Tully. Why do you think GRRM killed off her wolf so early in the story? I just hope that she doesn't end up ruling the North like she did in that terrible fanfiction story which was going around earlier.

I don't know about Starkness , we'd have to first argue what makes a true Stark .  but as far as Tullyness goes , Arya's more her mother's daughter than Sansa ever was. Sansa is more Ned than Cat . for Arya , family comes first . Arya and Cat are not as sentimental and sympathetic towards people who are not their family ( by blood or adopted) as Ned and Sansa are . they lose their temper more easily and they do not have high values for honor in the same way Ned and Sansa do. 

On 5/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Ned wasn't a true Stark. He wasn't raised in Winterfell, he was raised in the Vale. His father wasn't Rickard, it was Jon Arryn. Arryn gave Ned that overinflated sense of honour which plagued his life, and it also plagued his son Robb's later on. But Robb was more Stark than his father considering he got a direwolf. Even Catelyn knew enough that she urged Robb to trust his wolf. But he proved to be his 'father's son' and paid a bloody price for it. 

I agree that Ned’s persona/ethos is much more Arryn than Stark, but not certain it’s ‘over’. Without it Robert’s Rebellion…which is also more accurately Jon Arryn’s Rebellion…never happens and Ned and Robert burn. 

Archived