US Politics: A Post-Roe Country

DMC

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Baltimore Sun is running an op-ed by 2 psychiatrist arguing the Buffalo mass murderer should be given a state execution.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/op-ed/bs-ed-op-0517-death-penalty-shooter-20220516-mcwdu37d7rgzfpso4wuhr3vvhu-story.html

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ya, please, for tucker carlson, rupert murdoch, laura ingraham, etc.

This shooter is clearly a terrible human being, as are the other three listed here, but I am very glad that my state does not have the death penalty.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ya, please, for tucker carlson, rupert murdoch, laura ingraham, etc.

Makes you wonder if they'll ever be held accountable for spreading this BS. I believe Fox primetime is the most watched thing on TV after live sports, and no one should be shocked that dumb bigots on the right are acting on what they're hearing their leaders say.

The New York special master released a draft of his maps which he is expected to finalize by Friday...

So, not the end of the world.   Compared to the gerrymandered map, the Republicans get one more seat and three solid Dem seats move to competitive Dem seats.  In the long run that's not much of a difference - but it is a big blow to the Dems' (almost nonexistent) hopes of keeping the House this cycle because in a bad environment like this one that could mean a difference between a 22/4 Dem/GOP delegation split with the gerrymandered map and a 16/10 split with this map.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The New York special master released a draft of his maps which he is expected to finalize by Friday...

So, not the end of the world.   Compared to the gerrymandered map, the Republicans get one more seat and three solid Dem seats move to competitive Dem seats.  In the long run that's not much of a difference - but it is a big blow to the Dems' (almost nonexistent) hopes of keeping the House this cycle because in a bad environment like this one that could mean a difference between a 22/4 Dem/GOP delegation split with the gerrymandered map and a 16/10 split with this map.

Was literally about to ask you what you thought of it while I was reading this:

27 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

This shooter is clearly a terrible human being, as are the other three listed here, but I am very glad that my state does not have the death penalty.

I hear ya, for sure.  But sometimes, there should be special cases ... except, of course, it would be abused upon the wrong special cases, surely.  :crying:

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I believe Fox primetime is the most watched thing on TV after live sports

Nah.  FNC averages about 2.5 million viewers in primetime.  The top 20 broadcast shows this season all averaged well over twice as many viewers.  FNC primetime does often rank among the most viewed programs on cable, outside of sports, as can be seen here.

18 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Was literally about to ask you what you thought of it while I was reading this

If you scroll through Wasserman's feed it's pretty funny that he initially said this was pretty bad news for the Dems, then responded to Cohn's tweet you just posted agreeing that was true "depending how you frame it."

What the hell is up with Democratic politicians having strokes lately?  First it was Ben Ray Lujan back in February, then Chris Van Hollen announced he was hospitalized over the weekend yesterday, and today I see John Fetterman had a stroke on Friday.

Glad they all are reportedly gonna be ok but geez not a good trend.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

What the hell is up with Democratic politicians having strokes lately?  First it was Ben Ray Lujan back in February, then Chris Van Hollen announced he was hospitalized over the weekend yesterday, and today I see John Fetterman had a stroke on Friday.

Glad they all are reportedly gonna be ok but geez not a good trend.

Well, mindwalker mentioned on the previous page. Just above, where you lauded mcdrunski for the insight that GOP voters are stupid. 

Dude, you have to read the entire thread not just highlights. This isn't the Magic Kingdom College in Florida. B)

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Dude, you have to read the entire thread not just highlights.

I make no apologies for being too drunk to read that post yesterday (or remember that I did), it was my birthday damnit.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I make no apologies for being too drunk to read that post yesterday (or remember that I did), it was my birthday damnit.

Happy Birthday. 

Altho, it was more the veiled question about that potential job in Florida, you didn't want. Magic Kingdom College, or Mickey Mouse University, can't remember what exactly it was (altho, I vaguely recall it wasn't academia in the narrow sense)

Supreme Court chips away at campaign finance regulation — thanks to Ted Cruz
The 6-3 decision split the court cleanly along ideological lines.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/16/supreme-court-finance-regulation-ted-cruz-00032692

The Supreme Court on Monday struck down a limit on the amount of post-election funds that can be used to pay back personal loans from candidates, further chipping away at federal campaign finance regulations.

In a 6-3 decision that split the court cleanly along ideological lines, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority that a cap that allowed federal political candidates to only use up to $250,000 in post-election fundraising dollars to pay back a personal loan from the candidate was unconstitutional.

The case was brought by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who intentionally sought to challenge the cap by personally loaning his campaign $260,000 shortly before his 2018 reelection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/05/16/how-teachers-address-racist-killings/

Teachers are once again grappling with how to address with their students racially motivated killings in America, this time at a Buffalo supermarket where 13 people were shot — 11 of them Black — and 10 died. A White teenager, who police said wrote an online document citing the “great replacement” theory, has been charged with and pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the shooting. The racist theory says that non-White immigrants are being brought into the United States to eliminate Whites. Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), the No. 3 House Republican, and other GOP lawmakers have at one time or another echoed the racist idea.

This teaching exercise comes at a time in our history when Republican-led states have restricted what teachers can say about race and racism. Many educators are fearful about losing their jobs for speaking about these issues in their classrooms — at the very time that such discussions are as important as ever. ....

19 hours ago, DMC said:

I am never drunk and my birthday isn't until July, but I have made no promise to read every single post on any online discussion board and feel under no obligation to do so. :)

Today is one of the biggest primary days of the cycle with five states holding contests - with Pennsylvania as the main event.  The GOP Senate primary looks like a legit three-way statistical tie, so that will be the most interesting outcome to watch.  It appears Doug Mastriano will cruise to a primary victory for the GOP gubernatorial nomination, even though party leadership fears how weak he could be a general election candidate.

One interesting race here in Pittsburgh is the primary to replace Mike Doyle's seat.  If she wins tonight, Summer Lee is poised to become the seventh member of the squad.  What I did not know until her campaign is she'd be the first black congresswoman for Pennsylvania.  That's...yeesh.  I mean, after living here nearly a decade I'm not too surprised that hasn't happened in the Pittsburgh area - especially considering Doyle has held that seat for a quarter century.  But really Philly?  No black congresswoman in any of those bright blue districts?  Not a good look PA.

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

Today is one of the biggest primary days of the cycle with five states holding contests - with Pennsylvania as the main event.  The GOP Senate primary looks like a legit three-way statistical tie, so that will be the most interesting outcome to watch.  It appears Doug Mastriano will cruise to a primary victory for the GOP gubernatorial nomination, even though party leadership fears how weak he could be a general election candidate.

One interesting race here in Pittsburgh is the primary to replace Mike Doyle's seat.  If she wins tonight, Summer Lee is poised to become the seventh member of the squad.  What I did not know until her campaign is she'd be the first black congresswoman for Pennsylvania.  That's...yeesh.  I mean, after living here nearly a decade I'm not too surprised that hasn't happened in the Pittsburgh area - especially considering Doyle has held that seat for a quarter century.  But really Philly?  No black congresswoman in any of those bright blue districts?  Not a good look PA.

Which race are you in to get your presidential ambitions started? :D

I mean, we know you generously let Fetterman have a go at the US Senate, but what office are you running for. Please do tell.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I mean, we know you generously let Fetterman have a go at the US Senate, but what office are you running for. Please do tell.

None thus far.  Patience.  I did give Fetterman the stroke to try to convince him to stop dressing like a 12 year old.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:35 PM, Week said:

Allegedly a white supremacist -- a follower of the frozen fish heir, Tucker Carlson. 

One interesting aspect about openly racist mass shootings is it’s the only time we might hear the NRA talk about what a bad thing racism is. Although they are much more likely to decide the gunman is mentally I’ll and then talk about what a bad thing poor mental health is. It’s always what the shooter is aside from being a shooter that seems to be the ongoing and very serious issue they won’t bring up again until the next ____ shooting.

Protect the guns, help the rich, fuck the people. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

None thus far.  Patience.  I did give Fetterman the stroke to try to convince him to stop dressing like a 12 year old.

President Fetterman delivering the State of the Union address in shorts. That's the kinda world I want to live in. Look on the bright side, the dress code for your State of the Union address will then be so much more casual than it is now.

Archived