US Politics: A Post-Roe Country

DMC

17 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

What the actual fuck? This is a no-brainer right? Even those bozos should realize they are idiots to vote against this.

Poor (and probably in their minds almost always black and brown) babies aren't Reel Murikans! 

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

I can't believe that is real, he looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up as soon as he realised

Seen it said in the comments too, but that he followed up with 'Iraq too' - he definitely knows what he did.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

With Jamie McLeod-Skinner likely to beat incumbent Kurt Schrader in the Oregon fifth, a pretty good night for "progressives" over "the establishment."

This is still not a sure thing, a ballot barcode printing clusterf*** in the most populous county (where I live) means they’ll probably be hand-rallying the votes into next week.  It’d be good to see Schrader out with some new blood, after the district got a shakeup.

8 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

This is still not a sure thing, a ballot barcode printing clusterf*** in the most populous county (where I live) means they’ll probably be hand-rallying the votes into next week.

It's an embarrassing mistake, but like I said it's unlikely Schrader will be able to make up the margin with the outstanding votes.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:07 PM, mcbigski said:

Are repubilcan voters really that dumb?  McConnell is corrupt as fuck and works for the small club of elected folks who make themselves richer

Cant recall who he ran against, but Mconnell is an enemy of people that want less government.  He's on the take.  A government with fair elections , free discourse, and actual choices wouldn't keep returning him. Probably enough big money interests are keeping him in his position.  Who is his plurality though?

I can't even call him a squish, that would be an insult to invertabrates. 

Can't stand that chinless MF.

If I am not mistaken, McConnell used to be pro-choice, too. The guy is Littlefinger, maneuvering ruthlessly and without principle to gain and wield power.

EDITED TO ADD: Although I don't think he's nearly as clever as Petyr Baelish. McConnell is good at throwing up barriers, but he's not great at advancing agendas.

23 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

If I am not mistaken, McConnell used to be pro-choice, too. The guy is Littlefinger, maneuvering ruthlessly and without principle to gain and wield power.

While this is true, ironically it's actually more likely his moderate stance in his early electoral career is more of a put on than his current positioning.  McConnell worked in Ford's DOJ alongside Robert Bork and Antonin Scalia.

This is really. really local but I thought you all might be interested anyway.

First to explain the political office -- The Learning Community of Douglas and Sarpy Counties is an added governmental body covering all 11 school districts in the Omaha Metropolitan area. It was set up by the legislature as a way to try to deal with some of the inequities in education between the Omaha Public Schools and suburban districts. (Nebraska has way too many levels of government and offices to vote for, but that's a discussion for another day.)

A woman who just got the most votes in the nonpartisan primary for a seat on the Learning Community board has been indicted for "misusing" $202,000 in grant money the private agency she is director of received. Turns out she is a big supporter of Donald Trump and Charles Herbster, the Trump-endorsed sexual harasser candidate for governor who just lost the governor's primary in Nebraska. It looks like Trumpists running for even minor local offices can't be trusted to be financially ethical.

Learning Community candidate, director of Omaha training center indicted in alleged fraud | Crime News | omaha.com

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

It looks like Trumpists running for even minor local offices can't be trusted to be financially ethical.

That's the requirement, the feature, the point of tRumpists.

Interview with Lawrence tribe, concerning SCOTUS as it now has become.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-supreme-courts-history-of-protecting-the-powerful

.... Laurence Tribe, who turned eighty last year, has been one of the most prominent liberal legal scholars of the last half century. A professor to John Roberts, a mentor to Barack Obama, and an advocate who has appeared dozens of times before the Supreme Court, Tribe has also published numerous books about the Constitution and the Court’s history. More recently, Tribe—despite the reverence with which he initially wrote about the Court—has been highly critical of what he sees as its increasing rightward tilt and politicization by Republican-nominated Justices. Tribe has also established himself as a prolific commenter on current affairs, both on television and Twitter (where he has more than a million followers), specifically by making caustic attacks on former President Donald Trump, whom he has accused of committing multiple crimes.

I recently spoke by phone with Tribe, currently the Carl M. Loeb University Professor, Emeritus, at Harvard, several days after the leak of Justice Samuel Alito’s draft opinion that argued for overturning Roe v. Wade. During our conversation, which has been edited for length and clarity, we also discussed his impressions of Justice Roberts throughout the decades, his changing views of the Court’s role in American life, and how he looks back on his controversial work for the coal industry.

How has your thinking about the Supreme Court as an institution changed over the past fifty years?

I would say that because I am part of the generation that grew up in the glow of Brown v. Board of Education and of the Warren and Brennan Court, and identified the Court really with making representative government work better through the reapportionment decisions and protecting minorities of various kinds, I saw the Court through rather rose-tinted glasses for a while. As I taught the Court for decades, I came to spend more time on the dark periods of the Court’s history, thinking about how the Court really preserved and protected corporate power and wealth more than it protected minorities through much of our history, and how it essentially gutted the efforts at Reconstruction, and I focussed more on cases like Dred Scott and Plessy v. Ferguson and Korematsu. ....

The race to out extreme one another continues:

Oklahoma's legislature on Thursday passed a bill that would ban abortions from the moment of fertilization and allow private citizens to sue abortion providers who "knowingly" perform or induce an abortion "on a pregnant woman."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/politics/oklahoma-abortion-ban-hb-4327-passed/index.html

Archived