US Politics: A Post-Roe Country

DMC

4 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

With his use of "globalist" and his fascination with Nazis I'm not so sure it was a misspelling.  I think he's using an air horn instead of a dog whistle.  

It has to be a misspelling, because if it's conciously because of identification with Nazis he would be saying the opposite -- that is not time for "gentile" politics to be reinforced, not ended. :)

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Mo Brooks is currently enjoying a surge in the polls in the GOP primary for Alabama Senate.  If you don't recall, Trump rescinded his endorsement after Brooks went from prohibitive frontrunner down to a nadir of ~12% back in March.  Now he's back within striking distance of the lead at ~30%.

This is not to suggest Alabama Republicans are all of a sudden turning to Brooks due to a dislike of Trump.  But it does further underscore the increasing irrelevance of Trump's endorsement (or lack thereof).

Hum, two things.

A.) I thought the real pain for Republicans is their donors getting rinsed by him.

B.) The value of his endorsement is to some degree correlated with his (social)-media presence. Twitter banning him has sorta thrown a spanner in the workings of that provocation-outrage-cycle of trolling. Ofc, parts of the media couldn#t ignore him, and are reporting on his lies anti-social activity. But it's just not the same. 

With the second biggest troll working on buying that twitter echo cave, intending to lift that ban, the orange one would regain his audience. And we are back to that troll cycle.

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The value of his endorsement is to some degree correlated with his (social)-media presence.

Not really.  The vast majority of Republican primary voters are going to be aware of who or if Trump endorsed for any given contest whether he's on Twitter or not.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

A.) I thought the real pain for Republicans is their donors getting rinsed by him.

Well, one thought I did have is a clear way Trump could actually try to assert more influence is by spending all the money he's raised instead of sitting on it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, one thought I did have is a clear way Trump could actually try to assert more influence is by spending all the money he's raised instead of sitting on it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

I guess the PA governor's race will be one moment, when we will see, whether he is willing to put those donations to work, or not.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Marjorie Taylor Green, the bottomlessly stupid and bigoted Republican Representative from Georgia, and embodiment of the term "kakistocracy", blamed California wildfires on lasers in space, operated by a nefarious globalist cabal, including the Rothschilds.

Yep, we have a real live Pentavirate believer in Congress.

https://www.vox.com/22256258/marjorie-taylor-greene-jewish-space-laser-anti-semitism-conspiracy-theories

I saw a post on another site.

”As a journalist, I used to know Roy Moore, and I thought he was batshit crazy, as in, needing assistance to feed and dress himself.  But, I think Greene is very disturbed.”

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I guess the PA governor's race will be one moment, when we will see, whether he is willing to put those donations to work, or not.

Helping out nominees in the general would certainly be a way for him to assert his influence as well, sure.  But the "power" (or lack thereof) of Trump's endorsement is in primary contests.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Helping out nominees in the general would certainly be a way for him to assert his influence as well, sure.  But the "power" (or lack thereof) of Trump's endorsement is in primary contests.

Yes, but that ship has sailed. So next best thing for him would be backing his MAGAts candidates excessively with his war chest, while not given that much to the folks he didn't, unless they come down to kiss his ring (I assume kissing his ass is out of the question with those new laws in Florida). 

15 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Madison Cawthorn is threatening to go after establishment Republicans following his Republican primary defeat on Tuesday. 
In an Instagram post, he stated it was "time for Dark MAGA to take command." 

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/05-19-2022/restaurant-aid-flops/

I desperately want him to keep running.  He could split the “hair on fire crazy” vote and allow a Democrat to win his seat.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but that ship has sailed. So next best thing for him would be backing his MAGAts candidates excessively with his war chest, while not given that much to the folks he didn't, unless they come down to kiss his ring (I assume kissing his ass is out of the question with those new laws in Florida). 

...Um, yes, the entire idea of asserting his influence through his money is inherently transactional for any politician, let alone Trump. 

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I desperately want him to keep running.  He could split the “hair on fire crazy” vote and allow a Democrat to win his seat.

But, he might win.

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Dark MAGA? Ben Carson? :leaving:

Yes, yes, yes. I know not funny. But I am merely fishing for a shocked laugh here. 

Dark Maga is what happens when Jean Grey goes to a Trump Rally and absorbs all of the latent, psychic-chud energy floating through the Bud Light-filled ether.

27 minutes ago, SeanF said:

But, he might win.

Yeah, after 2016, I am far less keen on encouraging batshit crazy fascists-in-Republican-clothing chuds from running, just on the off chance that they might win.

Elon Musk denies sexual harassment claims

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/tech/elon-musk-sexual-harassment-denies-allegations/index.html

The tweet comes after Business Insider reported that SpaceX paid a $250,000 settlement in 2018 after a SpaceX flight attendant alleged sexual misconduct against the billionaire.

Citing documents and interviews it conducted, Insider reported that "the attendant worked as a member of the cabin crew on a contract basis for SpaceX's corporate jet fleet. She accused Musk of exposing his erect penis to her, rubbing her leg without consent, and offering to buy her a horse in exchange for an erotic massage."

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well… that sucks.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He lost the primary.  If he and the Republican nominee are both competing for the “hair on fire crazy vote” couldn’t that allow a Democratic candidate a plurality win?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, while this idea sounds great in theory, there's a reason it rarely ever actually happens -- and not just sore loser laws.  NC's 11th district has a Cook PVI of R+9 - solid red, but granted not deep enough where you'd think such a split could allow the Dem to win, right? 

While Cawthorn had a weak showing in 2020, usually he and his predecessor (Mark Meadows) were good for about 60% of the votes in the general.  Now, that might seem like much, but all one of the GOP candidates has to do is get 2/3s of the GOP electorate to make the three-way race a 40-40-20 split. 

And that's assuming the Dem candidate holds all of the Dem/anti-GOP vote.  Oftentimes when primary upsets like this happen, the candidate from the other party is already weak because it's difficult to find well-qualified sacrificial lambs.  Moreover, "independents" and "moderates" may well end up voting for one of the GOP candidates strategically. 

Look what happened in the Alaska 2010 Senate election where Lisa Murkowski famously won as a write-in candidate.  Despite Obama winning around 40 percent of the vote in the presidential elections immediately before and after, the Democratic nominee only got 23.5 percent of the vote.  Granted, I'm not saying Chuck Edwards (the guy who beat Cawthorn) has anywhere near the cross-party appeal that Murkowski does in Alaska, but in such a district and with such a blank slate as a candidate, it's easy to imagine a lot of "swing" voters viewing Edwards as the "sane" compromise candidate.

Archived